Windows 10: Trying to remove excluded folders from File History drive

Discus and support Trying to remove excluded folders from File History drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello anyone, When I activated File History I left the Videos folder, which contains my movies and series, in theBack up these folders list. That... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by 1600kHz, Feb 22, 2020.

1. 1600kHz Win User

Trying to remove excluded folders from File History drive

Hello anyone,

When I activated File History I left the Videos folder, which contains my movies and series, in theBack up these folders list. That filled up my 1 TB backup drive quickly, so I removed that folder from the list.

Now how do I remove excluded folders from my drive, without removing the complete File History folder and starting over? The only option I've found is going to Control Panel\System and Security\File History\Advanced Settings, and clickingClean up versions.

The problem is, that gives me the error: Could not clean up File History data. Element not found.

I tried running sfc /scannow. Searching the web gives me few results and no answers.

To be honest, I think File History could use a little more options to improve usability.

:)

1600kHz, Feb 22, 2020
  2. neuroking Win User

File History won't exclude folders

The 'remove this drive' technique appeared to work, but when I checked the drive, the folders were still being backed up. Opened the modern file history settings and the folders were still removed from the backup list. I tried to add them manually to the
    excluded folders list and they disappeared like before. After a reboot, and I think opening the 'classic' file history control panel without making changes, the removed folders were back on the list and could not be removed.

I also did the same steps above, but manually deleted the backed up folders from the drive after removing them. Still no dice.

Everything is back to where it was before. Somehow I got a folder to stay in the classic and modern control panel exclude lists, but I can't add any more. One thing to note, the exclude list, I think, must contain folders within the backed up folder list.
    I know it makes no sense to exclude a folder that isn't backed up anyway (i.e.-not a subfolder of a backed up folder), but it seems a likely place for some weird settings reset bug to occur.

My guess is that there is some interaction between the modern and classic control panels that causes them to reset these lists, compounded by the added functionality of selecting the folders in the modern settings. Something along the lines of the File History
    engine checks the classic control panel for exclusions, then checks the modern settings for inclusions, finds a conflict, and reverts to the previous folder lists. Some type of weird tug-o-war over settings, and the underlying triggers are automatically called
    from both sides in non-intuitive (to users) ways.

My solution was to ditch FH altogether and switch over to SynBackSE for versioning. Not a solution for everyone, I know, but there is something fundamentally messed up with FH, and I'd rather not gamble with my thesis backups.

neuroking, Feb 22, 2020
  3. File History won't exclude folders

I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:

Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off

Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive

Delete the File History folder in your external drive.

Start using File History again.

After these steps, I can add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive".

Hope this can help you.

Vincenzo Carbone, Feb 22, 2020
  4. Trying to remove excluded folders from File History drive

How to remove folders from File History

• I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful

mila parker, Feb 22, 2020
Thema:

Trying to remove excluded folders from File History drive

1. Trying to remove excluded folders from File History drive - Similar Threads - Trying remove excluded

2. Files excluded from sync

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files excluded from sync: Hi,I have some audio files that will not open anymore. It says under the "status" colomn that the files are "excluded from sync". What does this mean? And how do I get my audio files to play again?Thanks....
  3. How to unlink, exclude or remove a folder from OneDrive

in Windows 10 News
    How to unlink, exclude or remove a folder from OneDrive: [ATTACH]If you do not want the Desktop, Documents, or Pictures folder to be synced to your OneDrive account, there’s a simple way to unlink, exclude or remove a folder from OneDrive. This post walks you through the necessary steps to complete the process in a hassle-free...
  4. Can you exclude certain files (not folders) from File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can you exclude certain files (not folders) from File History: I've been using File History & generally like the way it works. However, if I open a Word file, e.g. Utilities.doc, Word also creates a temporary file, ~$ilities.doc. If I have it open for awhile, File History may back up this file also. Over time, I've found various files...
  5. iCloud Drive excludes folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    iCloud Drive excludes folders?: Hi, guys, I have decided to use my iCloud storage to synchronize my documents from notebook and desktop PC. No sooner said than done. Installed on both PCs and pushed the files together. Unfortunately, it is now the case that some folders are not synchronized for some...
  6. file history is backing up network drive despite the matching folders being excluded

file history is backing up network drive despite the matching folders being excluded: I've excluded these network drives but they show up under previous versions. Also doing a microsoft safety scanner run keeps showing old files from the network drive. I'm working from home and it does not make sense to backup the network drive locally as this all goes over...
  7. Exclude Folder.

Exclude Folder.: Hey guys, I have a folder in my Windoes 10 Explorer that I want to exclude from media scanning, so it won't appear in anywhere except Explorer. Does anybody know how to make the equivalent of .NOMEDIA folder like the one in Android. Thank you very much....
  8. How to remove folders from File History

How to remove folders from File History: Running out of space on my external drive where I keep File History. So I want to delete a very large folder (Pictures) from History since I have it backed up another way. I removed the folder from File History Backup Options (Settings>Update & Security>Backup>More...
  9. Remove files and folders in File History backed to my external drive

Remove files and folders in File History backed to my external drive: I am trying this as a normal delete and the system has said it will take more than one day. The files are from the time before a clean install and a defunct Windows account of a different name from the previous installation. Is there a speedier process without need for...
  10. Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10: How to: Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10 How to Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back up...