Windows 10: trying to rename my old user folder from another install

Discus and support trying to rename my old user folder from another install in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; i just reinstalled windows and on my old install i had all my user profiles go to the e drive and not the c on this new install i want to do the same... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by leo1477, Dec 1, 2018.

1. leo1477 Win User

trying to rename my old user folder from another install

i just reinstalled windows and on my old install i had all my user profiles go to the e drive and not the c

on this new install i want to do the same thing however
    i cannot rename the old user directory to users-old as it will cause explorer.exe to stop responding
    and i cannot restart or end the process in task manager because it will tell me access denied
    i have to restart

how do i get this to stop and how do i change the users folder without causing that to happen?

:)

leo1477, Dec 1, 2018

2. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Dec 1, 2018
  3. Can't rename folder.

Hi Howard,

It is possible that the difficulty renaming your folder is due to access/account limitation or a recent change was made on your computer. For better assistance, please answer the following questions:

• Are you getting an error message when trying to rename the folder?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the "Public" folders?

We will be waiting for your response.

Dennis Mop, Dec 1, 2018
  4. Ruz San Win User

How to delete and rename users

Hi Mark,

Before we can help you rename the new user account on your computer, please answer these questions for us to get a better understanding of the situation since you performed a clean installation of Windows 10:

• When you boot up your computer, do you see the original user account available for you to sign in to?
    • Is the new user account an administrator?
    Doing a clean installation of Windows 10 involves formatting your hard drive. Therefore, your files in the old user account, including the user account itself, would be wiped clean. It may not be a clean installation if the files are still on your computer.

To proceed with renaming the new user account, let's first make sure it is set as an administrator on your computer. Follow these steps to check if it is:

• Sign in to the old user account (Mark).
    • Go to Control Panel.
    • Open User Accounts.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Check whether it says the new user account (Mark_2) is an
      Administrator
    • If it's not yet an administrator, click on the account and select Change the account type.
    • Choose Administrator then apply the changes.
    Once the account is already an administrator, we can now delete the old user account. Here's how:

• Sign in to the new user account (Mark_2).
    • Go to Control Panel.
    • Open User Accounts.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Select the old user account (Mark).
    • Click on Delete the account.
    • You can opt to Delete Files for the old user account.
    • Restart your computer.
    To rename the new user account, follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type wmic useraccount where "name='Mark_2' " rename Mark then press
      Enter.

Let us know if you need more help.

Ruz San, Dec 1, 2018
Thema:

1. trying to rename my old user folder from another install - Similar Threads - trying rename old

2. Rename the user folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rename the user folder: Hello!I just bought a new computer with Windows 11. When I set it up it asked me for my full name. when the setup guide finished I noticed that my user folder had my full name C:\users<user name>. The problem is that my name is Björn and Ö is not a standard letter. Having...
  3. Rename the user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rename the user folder: Hello!I just bought a new computer with Windows 11. When I set it up it asked me for my full name. when the setup guide finished I noticed that my user folder had my full name C:\users<user name>. The problem is that my name is Björn and Ö is not a standard letter. Having...
  4. renaming user folder?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    renaming user folder?: I just got a new computer and set it up and then realized my user folder only has the first six letters of my name...if I rename it to my full first name will apps that have already run got messed up because they will be looking for data in the wrong users folder? Tia...
  5. renaming user folder?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    renaming user folder?: I just got a new computer and set it up and then realized my user folder only has the first six letters of my name...if I rename it to my full first name will apps that have already run got messed up because they will be looking for data in the wrong users folder? Tia...
  6. Accidentally renamed User folder to Downloads after trying to move User folders to another...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidentally renamed User folder to Downloads after trying to move User folders to another...: I tried to move my User folders to another drive but when the first folder showed up as not being in a folder the same as what would be in C:\Users\Pete\ I ried to move the files back. I tried following...
  7. User Folder Renamed

User Folder Renamed: I just renamed my user folder in Windows 10 admin mode without understanding what that would do. Now i cannot access all my old files. How can I recover my work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-folder-renamed/cca273bc-0d0f-42cc-a140-5c4775f1da2f
  8. Rename a User folder

Rename a User folder: Hello there! I need to change my User name. I changed th name in the Registry editor here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.But I cannot rename the particular folder inside the Users folder, I simply don't have such an option after...
  9. Rename user folder?

Rename user folder?: Hello, it's not much of an issue just a personal preference, however how would I go about to changing my user folder name? Thanks. 34760
  10. Rename user folder?

Rename user folder?: Hello. I guess since i installed windows 10 using my microsoft account, my user folder got named after my microsoft mail, or some part of it anyway. So am wondering if it's possible to rename the user folder somehow? 8699

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer cannot rename users folder on second hdd