Windows 10: Trying to reorder my disk C - Reallocate space and recovery partitions

Discus and support Trying to reorder my disk C - Reallocate space and recovery partitions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi community, I'm here because I have a disk space problem I can't solve and I'd like to get some help. My C disk, a solid-state drive, has 5... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Gabriel Alejandro Mazzeo, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Trying to reorder my disk C - Reallocate space and recovery partitions

Hi community, I'm here because I have a disk space problem I can't solve and I'd like to get some help. My C disk, a solid-state drive, has 5 partitions, the first one being an EFI Partition, second one as Windows booting and primary partition, third one as a recovery partition, fourth as free space and a new recovery partition at the end. The way things are, I can't assign the free space to extend the primary partition, and after some basic research I found out that because of the way partitions are ordered, that is not possible unless I delete the partitions in between free disk space and the primary one. Is that right?

My questions are:

- Is it safe to delete both recovery partitions and reassign the remaining free disk space to the primary partition?

- How do I delete the recovery partitions?

- After that being done, is it possible to reassign the remaining disk space?

I hope you can tell me how to proceed, I don't have a lot of disk space and 80GB could really help me. Thanks in advance!

:)

Gabriel Alejandro Mazzeo, Jun 22, 2020

2. Creating Unallocated Space at End of Disk (Partitioning)

Hi,

I have a 250 GB SSD that I just installed Windows 10 version 2004 build 19041.329 on. I'd like to create a new, 20 GB partition of unallocated space at the end of this drive. However, it appears that during installation, the Windows 10 setup created a 500 MB recovery partition at the end of the C: partition. I'm familiar with this recovery partition (i.e. I know what it does), but I'd like to not have it at the end of the disk; instead, I'd like to have some unallocated space at the end of the disk.

The current order of the partitions is:
    1. EFI
    2. C:
    3. Recovery
    I downloaded and installed GParted, and used it to create a 20 GB unallocated space by shrinking the C: partition. However, this unallocated space gets created immediately after C:, and not at the end of the disk, as I need it to be. In other words, the 500 MB recovery partition is getting in the way! I'd like to reorder the partitions.

I thought to use GParted to moved the 20 GB unallocated space to the end of the disk, but when I did that, GParted raised a warning message about moving system partitions that could render Windows unable to boot. Daunted, I canceled that operation and then removed the 20 GB unallocated space. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a screenshot of the exact warning message. Although now I'm thinking that I didn't even touch the EFI boot partition, only the recovery partition. Would it be safe to move the recovery partition to before C: and not after?

Here's a screenshot showing my current partition order:

Trying to reorder my disk C - Reallocate space and recovery partitions [​IMG]

The red arrows show one possible solution: I could swap the order of the C: partition and the recovery partition. Then, when I shrink C: and create my 20 GB unallocated space, that unallocated space will, by default, get created behind C:. Is it safe to swap the order of C: and recovery?

Another solution is to create the 20 GB unallocated space (which is straightfoward), but then move it to the end of the drive. So I'd essentially have the order become:

1. EFI
    2. C:
    3. Recovery
    4. 20 GB Unallocated
    Is it safe to have unallocated space after the recovery partition like this?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Greasy Gorilla, Jun 22, 2020
  3. reallocation of disk space

I am trying to install Windows 10 update. It gives me an error that my D recovery disk is not big enough. I do not know how to add more space to D. There is plenty of space on C. How do I move space from C drive to D drive.

LindaWolfe1, Jun 22, 2020
  4. Trying to reorder my disk C - Reallocate space and recovery partitions

Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

Trying to reorder my disk C - Reallocate space and recovery partitions

1. Trying to reorder my disk C - Reallocate space and recovery partitions - Similar Threads - Trying reorder disk

2. Recovery Disk partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Disk partitions: HiI have, in order, Partition 1 400 Mb - recovery partitionPartition 2 100 Mb - efi parttionWindows C: 182.35 Gb - Basic data partitionPartition 5 1.01 Gb - recovery partitionData D: 292.97 GbI have established that Partition 5 is the active recovery partition.Currently even...
  3. Recovery Disk partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery Disk partitions: HiI have, in order, Partition 1 400 Mb - recovery partitionPartition 2 100 Mb - efi parttionWindows C: 182.35 Gb - Basic data partitionPartition 5 1.01 Gb - recovery partitionData D: 292.97 GbI have established that Partition 5 is the active recovery partition.Currently even...
  4. Reallocate space for new partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Reallocate space for new partitions: Hello Microsoft Community, I'm trying to reallocate some space for a new partition but not able to; it's a new laptop and apparently the full space as allocated to Drive C and there's no unallocated space left. Please let me know if anyone has faced this issue and what's...
  5. Reallocating Disk Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reallocating Disk Space: I have 2TB of storage divided into two drives, C and D. I continue to get messages that I'm running out of disk space on drive C currently allocated at 118 GB so I tried to shrink drive D with 1.4 TB of available space in order to expand drive C. The process of shrinking...
  6. disk reallocation error

disk reallocation error: I installed ubuntu in a 150 GB disk and uninstalled it directly from disk part and now i cant allocate the unallocated 150 GB, help![ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-reallocation-error/7855d698-d74a-4429-bfa4-730d25c775fa
  7. Release space the partition C

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Release space the partition C: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, please let me know how space is released on partition C. I'm waiting for an answer! A good day!. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/release-space-the-partition-c/36209208-a18b-4dc6-ad6b-ffa01330da3d
  8. how to reorder disks

how to reorder disks: In Disk Management I see that drive C (system) in on disk 3. How can I reorder disks so that C will be on disk 1? Is it by changing sockets on board? how? or thru the Bios? I have Gigabyte Z87 motherboard thank you 109421
  9. Reallocate Space to C: Drive. "Extend Volume" Button Greyed Out.

in Windows 10 Support
    Reallocate Space to C: Drive. "Extend Volume" Button Greyed Out.: So my C: Drive has been acting up lately, with barely enough space to stay alive. I tried to take some space off the D: Drive, which has 240 GB of unused space, and add it to the C: Drive using Disk Management. But when I shrink the D: Drive and Right Click on C: Drive the...
  10. Recovering the space of the recovery partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovering the space of the recovery partition: I've seen references that Windows 10 does not require a recovery partition. I have a Dell Latitude E7450 with a 256GB SSD that has a 450MB rec partition. I bought it used so I dk whether it was upgraded from 7/8--probably--and the partition stayed there or was upgraded to...