Windows 10: Trying to reset PC while keeping updates

Discus and support Trying to reset PC while keeping updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an older (but still Win10) PC I want to give my daughter. I'd like it to enter the new user setup when she turns it on so she can create her own... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pchelp, Jul 22, 2020.

1. pchelp Win User

Trying to reset PC while keeping updates

I have an older (but still Win10) PC I want to give my daughter. I'd like it to enter the new user setup when she turns it on so she can create her own account, etc. But I'd also like the version of Windows installed to be updated so she doesn't have to spend the first couple of days downloading & installing them.

Can it be done? As far as I can see when I reset the PC then it reinstalls the original version of Windows. But if I don't reset it then I'll have to walk her thru (over the phone) setting up her account & deleting mine, the one I used to update Windows. Thanks.

:)

pchelp, Jul 22, 2020

2. Unable to reset the pc

Hello,

If you are having that message while trying to reset your computer, We suggest you to create an installation media for Windows 10 using Media
    Creation Tool
    and perform a Reset.

Once the installation media is created, follow the steps below:

• Insert the installation media you created, and then restart your PC.
    • On the Install Windows screen, select Repair your computer.
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there, you can use Safe Mode. Select
      Advanced Options >Reset This PC>Remove everything.
    • After the reset is complete, check for status.

Give us an update on what happens.

Anthony Cato, Aug 4, 2020
  3. IggSter Win User
    How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Aug 4, 2020
  4. Trying to reset PC while keeping updates

Windows Store Broken while trying to fix error

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

As most of the troubleshooting steps suggested was unable to fix the issue, I would suggest you to perform a system reset by following the steps below and check again.

Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows. To get started, go to
    Settings (Windows key + I)> Update & security >Reset this PC >
    Get started and choose an option.

Note: In the reset Window, the Keep my files option will:

• Remove any apps your PC manufacturer installed.

• Remove changes you made to settings.

• Remove apps and drivers you installed.

• Reinstall Windows 10 but keep your personal files.
    The Remove everything option will remove everything and also your personal files.

Disclaimer: Create a backup of your programs and files before you initiate the reset to avoid data loss.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

Trying to reset PC while keeping updates

1. Trying to reset PC while keeping updates - Similar Threads - Trying reset while

2. Pc keeps restarting while trying to turn on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc keeps restarting while trying to turn on: Recently i changed my psu and graphic card to rx580 and 650w psu.I had 500w psu and it worked fine with gtx 1050ti but now it only keeps restarting. I tried to use other card but same thing happens.I got some lenovo motherboard with 10pin and adapter for psu fron 24 to 10pin...
  3. Pc keeps restarting while trying to turn on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc keeps restarting while trying to turn on: Recently i changed my psu and graphic card to rx580 and 650w psu.I had 500w psu and it worked fine with gtx 1050ti but now it only keeps restarting. I tried to use other card but same thing happens.I got some lenovo motherboard with 10pin and adapter for psu fron 24 to 10pin...
  4. Pc keeps restarting while trying to turn on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. It keeps saying this while I am trying to update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It keeps saying this while I am trying to update.: while i was trying to update my windows 11 it keeps getting failed. I tried at least 6 to 7 times. It always downloads to 7% and then fails automatically. I also checked my internet and it was just fine....
  6. It keeps saying this while I am trying to update.

It keeps saying this while I am trying to update.: while i was trying to update my windows 11 it keeps getting failed. I tried at least 6 to 7 times. It always downloads to 7% and then fails automatically. I also checked my internet and it was just fine....
  7. trying to reset pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    trying to reset pc: About a month ago I had to download some software for school but didn't have enough room to download it on my C: drive. After a lot of frustration I found a video for rerouting files through the registry editor and I did what the video said. Now my basic processes like task...
  8. trying to reset pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    trying to reset pc: About a month ago I had to download some software for school but didn't have enough room to download it on my C: drive. After a lot of frustration I found a video for rerouting files through the registry editor and I did what the video said. Now my basic processes like task...
  9. trying to reset pc

10. Is this supposed to happen while trying to reset your PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is this supposed to happen while trying to reset your PC?: Greetings. I noticed a few weeks ago that my PC performance was starting to deteriorate when it shouldn't be (it's very expensive and not even a year old), so I assumed it was something I had installed onto my computer. So, I went with the option that seemed best for me...