Windows 10: Trying to restore damaged photo files

Discus and support Trying to restore damaged photo files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello,I have some old photo files that I am trying to access. When I open the file, I get a prompt that says it’s corrupt, damaged or file is too... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JChisholm1, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Trying to restore damaged photo files

Hello,I have some old photo files that I am trying to access. When I open the file, I get a prompt that says it’s corrupt, damaged or file is too large. I have attempted to open these on various programs. The files are mostly JPG files. These photo files were used/opened on older version of Windows such as Windows 7 and also Mac OS X. I restored these photos recently and cannot open them. I even tried a photo restore apps such as Stellar and Ashampoo, and no luck in opening these files.So, does anyone have any ideas on how I could restore or open these damaged files? I’m curious to know of any

:)

JChisholm1, Sep 18, 2021
  2. hbenthow Win User

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10  

Brink, are there any risks to any of these methods? Would using any of them run any risk of damaging the registry in a way that could cause BSODs or any other type of issue?

Also, I have a question regarding this particular method:

I noticed that you said that it causes Windows Photo Viewer to be listed twice in "Open With". Is this at all problematic? Is it a sign of any sort of registry damage or corruption? And does it matter which one of the two instances of Windows Photo Viewer one selects from the "Open With" menu, or do each of them provide identical results?

And unless I'm mistaken, the advantage of using this particular method is that it allows one to view files in the order of (for example) date modified, name, size, etc (whichever way the folder is currently sorted in Windows Explorer), which the other methods of restoring Photos Viewer do not allow one to do. Is this correct?

hbenthow, Sep 18, 2021
  3. iko22 Win User
    How to get rid of raw file support in windows photo viewer?

Trying to restore damaged photo files [​IMG]

I have downloaded this, and it did not work; photo viewer is not in the list of programs in Open With or Default App. I used option 2 step 3, followed by step 5 to 9.

iko22, Sep 18, 2021
  4. Trying to restore damaged photo files

1.63 gb in empty photos app

Hi James,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• Is there any hidden files and folders in photo app?
    This issue could be caused due to a corrupted system file. I would suggest you try these steps and check:

I would suggest you try the restore library option and check if it helps. Please back up all the files in the library before trying this, just to make sure you don’t lose any files. Refer these steps:

• Open Windows explorer
    • In the left panel, locate Library and right click on it
    • Click “restore default libraries” option
    • Check if the issue persists.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Sep 18, 2021
Thema:

Trying to restore damaged photo files

1. Trying to restore damaged photo files - Similar Threads - Trying restore damaged

2. restore damaged sticker with product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    restore damaged sticker with product key: How to restore key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-damaged-sticker-with-product-key/fa0edb87-406e-4780-9dab-661a299725f2
  3. restore damaged sticker with product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    restore damaged sticker with product key: How to restore key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-damaged-sticker-with-product-key/fa0edb87-406e-4780-9dab-661a299725f2
  4. restore damaged sticker with product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Photo file damaged?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo file damaged?: Good morning I took a look at my gallery (Huwai Y6 2019 OS: Android 9.1) and found the one in the pictures. I also used an SD card and I think the data was on it. The card was apparently not the best quality. [ATTACH] Anybody got any ideas how I can fix this...
  6. Restore files after damaged hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore files after damaged hard drive: My hard drive died and was replaced by Dell. Fortunately I think my files were backed up to a Seagate external drive and I can find no clear instructions on how to restore/move my files correctly to my new hard drive. I have the Seagate dashboard but it doesn't seem to...
  7. Damaged file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Damaged file: How do I repair a damaged Adobe PDF file? MB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/damaged-file/a3799082-2d08-4d96-81dd-0238b6868fcf
  8. Files are damaged

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files are damaged: I have some very important files for my work in my USB but when I open them it says that the files are damaged. Please, I need these files urgently as I can do to have them back. Please help me...
  9. System Restore deleted or damaged the restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore deleted or damaged the restore point: Hello: System Restore did not completed successfully. Your computer system files and settings were not changed. System Restore failed to extract the original copy of the Directory from the restore point. Source: %ProgramFiles%WindowsApps Destination: AppxStaging...
  10. Photos got damaged after photo editing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Photos got damaged after photo editing: After editing my photos in my windows 10 laptop black blocks appeared on the photos and spoilt them...please tell me how to recover my photos...Thanks...