Windows 10: Trying to run an old PC game on windows 10 becomes really slow: how to fix this?

Discus and support Trying to run an old PC game on windows 10 becomes really slow: how to fix this? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to run "kaartspel van Catan" (Catan card game) in Windows 10 and the menu works okay, but when I enter the actual game, it works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by RJ_23948, Sep 8, 2018.

1. RJ_23948 Win User

Trying to run an old PC game on windows 10 becomes really slow: how to fix this?

Hello,
    I am trying to run "kaartspel van Catan" (Catan card game) in Windows 10 and the menu works okay, but when I enter the actual game, it works too, but is very slow. I have the impression it is displaying the individual frames at a lower rate, as things are moving, but very slowly and the game responds quite delayed to my mouse clicks as well (but I might be entirely wrong). It is playable in the sense that it works and displays the right things and responds to my clicks, eventually, but it is just super slow.

The game requires Windows 98,ME,2000, XP or VISTA, 32Mb RAM, 100Mb disc space, Pentium 233MHz processor, and a directX7.0 compatible grafics and audiocard.
    I think the problem might be with the DirectX compatibility (my laptop has DirectX12) or graphics card compatibility (again I might be entirely wrong)?

I already tried running the program in 98, XP and Vista compatibility modes, and running as administrator (also the combination of these two). I also tried to find a solution with the built in windows program to find compatibility issues, but no luck here.

I have an Asus x75V with windows 10 (upgraded from windows 8.1), intel core i5 processor, NVIDIA Geforce 610M - 1 GB graphic processor.
    I know the game worked well on one of my previous computers (windows XP).
    I wonder if there is a way to run this game on my windows 10 computer?

The box of the card game actually comes with 2 games: "kolonisten van catan incl zeevaarders" (Colonists of Catan) and the card game, both with the same system requirements. Running Colonists of Catan was problematic too, but in this case I found a workaround after some searching: run it using the NoVideoSound batch file to start it, instead of the default (I am not sure why this worked, but maybe this provides a clue on how to get the other game working too??). Unfortunately the card game does not have such a NoVideoSound batch file.

With kind regards,
    R

:)

RJ_23948, Sep 8, 2018

2. Wanting to run old games

Hi Jameson,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to refer the below link and check the compatibility of the game with Windows 10.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home

You may also try installing the game in compatibility mode.
    Follow these steps to install the game software in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Right-click on the game setup file and click on
            ‘properties’.

• Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
            ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
    If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to get in touch with the game manufacturer if it’s specific to that particular game.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Sep 8, 2018
  3. pc running slow

since the last windows 10 up date my pc is running slow and all games music etc has disappeared. my pc is also telling me it is logging me in with a temp pass word. any suggestions please

edwinmills, Sep 8, 2018
  4. Trying to run an old PC game on windows 10 becomes really slow: how to fix this?

0xc000007b error while trying to run games

Hi,

One possible reason as to why you're encountering this concern is due to compatibility issues with the game and the Windows 10 PC. For us to determine the root cause, kindly answer the following questions:

• Did you download the games from the Windows Store?
    • What are the games affected?

To find out if your Windows 10 PC meets the game requirements, kindly visit this

link
    and follow the steps on how to find out if a game will work on your Windows 10 PC.

If the same issue occurs after finding out that your device meets the game requirements, kindly perform the followings steps to run the games in compatibility mode:

• Press and hold (or right-click) the program, select Properties, and then select the Compatibility tab.
    • Select the Run compatibility troubleshooter to run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter.

Catherine Cus., Sep 8, 2018
Thema:

Trying to run an old PC game on windows 10 becomes really slow: how to fix this?

1. Trying to run an old PC game on windows 10 becomes really slow: how to fix this? - Similar Threads - Trying run old

2. All games are hanging and are really slow on my pc Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All games are hanging and are really slow on my pc Windows 10: I am trying to play games on my Windows pc but no matter which game i install my pc dosen't run it smoothly it keeps on hanging and lagging when running. I have also check the requirements and most of the games should work because they require like around 8 gb ram and i5...
  3. Windows 2004 running really slow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 2004 running really slow: I have recently gotten rid of my PC and gone for a laptop/egpu setup (I work as a software developer and travel a lot so I like having my files on the same device). I currently use the Razer Blade Stealth (2017) and the Nvidia GTX 980TI in the Razer Core X case. I have it...
  4. Running an old pc game on a new Dell pc running windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Running an old pc game on a new Dell pc running windows 10: Hi. While doing a clearout I have come across a very old pc game, Grim Fandango, bought way back in the day, which i would love to be able to play again on a 2017 Dell laptop running windows 10. What do i need to do to be able to run it on my current laptop? I have seen...
  5. Tried installing old PC games and they won't run

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tried installing old PC games and they won't run: I tried installing Star Trek: Armada, Hoyle Word Games, and Star Trek: Starship Creator. Armada and HWG didn't open at all, and Starship Creator did, but only half the functionality was there. I was also planning on RollerCoaster Tycoon (the original), and Hoyle Board Games,...
  6. week old HP really slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    week old HP really slow: This HP 690-0073w was fast when I got it. Now it won't even keep up with my typing. The taskbar thinks about coming up all the time. Firefox takes about 10 seconds to come up. Tried clean boot per instructions here. Nada, still slow with everything disabled. I did install...
  7. Windows 10 really, really, really slow!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 really, really, really slow!: My son's computer is suddenly incredibly slow, like 4 or 5 mins from a mouse click to a response. I have tried all the "Windows is running slow" fixes, but since I can't open any settings apps, I am really stuck. I have tried rebooting in safe mode, but it won't - I have...
  8. Laptop running really slow.

Laptop running really slow.: Hi, Looking for help as my laptop takes about 5 secs to load every time I click something. Takes ever longer when I minimize an application and switch to another(that is already open). I just wanted to make sure if my laptop performance is just normal for the specs it has,...
  9. Let's run Win10 on really really old hardware

Let's run Win10 on really really old hardware: So from my last thread it seems that there isn't a main thread for this so here's one. If you've got some old hardware that will run Win10 and the will to do it, post about it here. Post screenshots to proove you've got it working. And no, Core 2 CPUs don't count as old,...
  10. Window becomes really slow when opening a save as window.

Window becomes really slow when opening a save as window.: I am not sure how to explain this, Up until last week, whenever I download something and save as to a folder, it becomes really slow and my brower freezes for 1 minute ish. I checked my processor and ntoskrnl.exe is the program thats taking most of the physical memory. I...