Windows 10: Trying to run chkdsk after I formatted by HDD in the Windows Setup via an USB. Safe to...

Discus and support Trying to run chkdsk after I formatted by HDD in the Windows Setup via an USB. Safe to... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/dadybosma [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/dadybosma, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Trying to run chkdsk after I formatted by HDD in the Windows Setup via an USB. Safe to...

/u/dadybosma, Apr 9, 2021

2. Just Formatted HD - Should I Run ChkDsk

Full format effectively performs chkdsk as well. There's no reason to run chkdsk after a full format. Quick format, yes. On NTFS, there's really no reason to run chkdsk unless there's problems with file integrity. NTFS keeps track of it automatically.

FordGT90Concept, Apr 9, 2021
  3. cereberus Win User
    Formatting USB stick/usb hdd issues

Drive has probably failed. Try this.

Run admin command prompt and type

diskpart

list disk

select disk n (n is number of usb drive)

clean (wipes drive - do not select wrong drive!)

create partition primary

select partition 1

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit

exit

If any step fails, drive has almost certainly failed.

cereberus, Apr 9, 2021
  4. lewy90725 Win User

Trying to run chkdsk after I formatted by HDD in the Windows Setup via an USB. Safe to...

Chkdsk shows errors after formatting the usb stick

In order to reproduce the problem, I am doing the following steps:

• I put a text file with a single line of text on the usb file.
    • I plug in a USB stick to a PC and in the explorer window I go to the usb stick drive.
    • I double-click on the text file and open it in notepad.
    • I close the notepad.
    • I the explorer I go to the one level up and I click the right button on the USB drive and choose the properties->format.
    • I formatted the disk with default proposed parameters (FAT32).

The disk is empty after formatting. At the command line prompt window, I type the chkdsk and the letter of the USB drive and I am receiving information that errors have been found (Convert lost chains to files (y/n)?).

I checked it with various usb sticks and different systems (Windows 7, 8, 10) and I got the same results.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

lewy90725, Apr 9, 2021
Thema:

Trying to run chkdsk after I formatted by HDD in the Windows Setup via an USB. Safe to...

1. Trying to run chkdsk after I formatted by HDD in the Windows Setup via an USB. Safe to... - Similar Threads - Trying run chkdsk

2. Will the HDD be formatted once i reinstall windows 10 on a new SSD via USB?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will the HDD be formatted once i reinstall windows 10 on a new SSD via USB?: I currently have my OS installed in the HDD. Last year I added an SSD to my laptop, but refused to move the OS onto it. Fastforward, my laptop performance is quite poor and I decided to reinstall windows onto my SSD. My question is whether or not reinstalling windows 10 onto...
  3. Will the HDD be formatted once i reinstall windows 10 on a new SSD via USB?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will the HDD be formatted once i reinstall windows 10 on a new SSD via USB?: I currently have my OS installed in the HDD. Last year I added an SSD to my laptop, but refused to move the OS onto it. Fastforward, my laptop performance is quite poor and I decided to reinstall windows onto my SSD. My question is whether or not reinstalling windows 10 onto...
  4. Will the HDD be formatted once i reinstall windows 10 on a new SSD via USB?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to run CHKDSK on a flash drive formatted to NTFS?

How to run CHKDSK on a flash drive formatted to NTFS?: Hi, I formatted 2 flash drives to NTFS file system using windows explorer , then i tried to run CHKDSK for each one of them,with the command CHKDSK e: /FI got this message:Le type du système de fichiers est NTFS.An unspecified error occurred 766f6c756d652e63 3f1.The strange...
  6. How to run CHKDSK on a flash drive formatted to NTFS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to run CHKDSK on a flash drive formatted to NTFS?: Hi, I formatted 2 flash drives to NTFS file system using windows explorer, then I tried to run CHKDSK for each one of them,with the command CHKDSK e: /FI got this message:Le type du système de fichiers est NTFS.An unspecified error occurred 766f6c756d652e63 3f1.The strange...
  7. How to run CHKDSK on a flash drive formatted to NTFS?

How to run CHKDSK on a flash drive formatted to NTFS?: Hi, I formatted 2 flash drives to NTFS file system using windows explorer, then I tried to run CHKDSK for each one of them,with the command CHKDSK e: /FI got this message:Le type du système de fichiers est NTFS.An unspecified error occurred 766f6c756d652e63 3f1.The strange...
  8. Chkdsk Running After Windows Updates

Chkdsk Running After Windows Updates: Windows 10 2004 Build 19041.804 I have three internal drives; 1 x SSD containing a Windows 10 2004 primary installation, another SSD containing an exact copy clone of the same Windows 10 2004 installation as a backup, and an HDD as a data drive. The two OSs are not set up...
  9. How to setup windows 10 via USB

How to setup windows 10 via USB: Please show me. thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-setup-windows-10-via-usb/328065a7-bbbf-4d55-bc69-59ac1eacc7ac
  10. Formatting USB stick/usb hdd issues

Formatting USB stick/usb hdd issues: [img] help how do i fix this problem. it's been a real problem for the past 3 weeks. 112838