Windows 10: Trying to run W10 on old rig

Discus and support Trying to run W10 on old rig in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey everyone, I got an Asus M2N-E SLI with AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4600+8Gb of RamNvidia GeForce GT240 SSD 240Gb Main Unit with OS HDD 500Gb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Luca_BGD, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Luca_BGD Win User

Trying to run W10 on old rig

Hey everyone, I got an Asus M2N-E SLI with AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4600+8Gb of RamNvidia GeForce GT240

SSD 240Gb Main Unit with OS

HDD 500Gb Storage UnitI'm trying to install Windows 10 but I can't make it to boot properly, any ideas?

The PC was running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit no problem. I just got a new SSD, and did a Clean Install of the latest version of the OS on it.

Problem is that Windows 10 won't boot properly.

Things I've tired:

Re format all drives, clean install on SSD, an other basic troubleshooting.
    I have no important files on drives so, no problem formatting again and again.

I have the .ISO from Microsoft Win10 20H2 v2 x64 I copied all files from it to a USB and did a Clean Install from it without success.
    I've created a bootable USB with Rufus, trying most settings on the software without success.

I've managed to boot successfully to Windows 10 in 3 occasions but It was pure luck, since after restart the boot loop continued.
    While I try to install the OS there's always a video glitch on screen, until I manage to install the GPU Drivers, since there's no onboard graphics, and there seem to be a problem with the Microsoft Basic Display Driver and the GPU. I'll make a video of it and post a link here

The .ISO is 100% healthy, I've used the exact same one to upgrade two other machines.

I'm open to try anything, since I got nothing to lose. Ultimately I'll return to Windows 7 Ultimate. But that's not what I really want.

:)

Luca_BGD, Feb 27, 2021
  2. rtwjunkie Win User

Old Games running on Modern Computer.

Many old games work great on modern OS like W10. However, even a lot of GOG games will need tweaking or widescreen fixes.

PC Gaming Wiki is a perfect resource for 90% of the games, with tips and limitations, even some registry fixes listed.

Widescreen Gaming Forum lists what is needed to make old resolutions widescreen, if possible.

Sadly, your biggest trouble will be for games only available on disc. If they had any kind of copy protection, W10 will not allow them to run. W8.1 is as modern as you will get.

rtwjunkie, Feb 27, 2021
  3. Wanting to run old games

Hi Jameson,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to refer the below link and check the compatibility of the game with Windows 10.

Explore Windows 10 OS, Computers, Apps, & More | Microsoft

You may also try installing the game in compatibility mode.
    Follow these steps to install the game software in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Right-click on the game setup file and click on
            ‘properties’.

• Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
            ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
    If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to get in touch with the game manufacturer if it’s specific to that particular game.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Feb 27, 2021
  4. Berton Win User

KB4541329 stuck and killing my old rig

What I see in the listed documents is the referenced Version number 1607 does not indicate the latest, would wonder if Upgrading the computers involved would solve the issue.

Trying to run W10 on old rig [​IMG]

Berton, Feb 27, 2021
Thema:

1. Trying to run W10 on old rig - Similar Threads - Trying run W10

2. Old MB w/W10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Old MB w/W10?: Hi all :) I have an old ASUS P6T w/an Intel Core i7 from 10 (?) years ago. I would like to install W10 (as opposed to 7). I went to the ASUS site, and looked at the MB, but it makes no mention of OS Does anyone know if I will be able to install and run W10 here? I did a...
  3. KB4541329 stuck and killing my old rig

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KB4541329 stuck and killing my old rig: Greetings guys, I come to you a bit desperate. I have KB4541329 stuck and my rig is in limbo at the moment. Its not installing at all even though trying really hard and when trying hard, its killing my CPU. I cannot seem to stop it from wanting to install. At the end of...
  4. Tried installing old PC games and they won't run

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tried installing old PC games and they won't run: I tried installing Star Trek: Armada, Hoyle Word Games, and Star Trek: Starship Creator. Armada and HWG didn't open at all, and Starship Creator did, but only half the functionality was there. I was also planning on RollerCoaster Tycoon (the original), and Hoyle Board Games,...
  5. I am running W7, trying to upgrade to W10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am running W7, trying to upgrade to W10.: Split from this thread. Same issue here. And yes, I did buy a licence. But I never get to the point where I'm asked for the product key. I also get the same message at the end of the process: "The updates are installed but Windows 10 Setup needs to restart for them to...
  6. If I have two rigs with activated W10 and swap boot drives between them, will W10 be...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    If I have two rigs with activated W10 and swap boot drives between them, will W10 be...: I just acquired a new gaming rig. It already has an SSD with W10 home 64-bit activated. I also have my current SSD which also has W10 home 64-bit activated. If I take out both SSDs and swap them with each other, will I screw myself out of both licenses due to hardware IDs...
  7. trying to run my old version of MS office

in Windows 10 Customization
    trying to run my old version of MS office: when I try to start my old version of MS office on my new computer it tells me that the operating system is not configured for this program. what can I do?...
  8. W10 and Old Windows Mobile

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W10 and Old Windows Mobile: Does anyone know if there is a way to get an old Windows Mobile to connect via USB to a W10 PC...? Back in the days of XP this Mobile used to communicate with XP by USB without any issues - just connect by USB and it would appear in File Explorer. But connecting it to a W10...
  9. How should my rig run Guild Wars 2?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How should my rig run Guild Wars 2?: Had a quick performance question: I am running GW2 with the following rig - CPU: i5-4460 Motherboard: ASUS H81M-PLUS Memory: Team Elite Plus 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Hard Drives:256 Gb Samsung SSD...
  10. Old games on W10? Or can I run W7 in a box?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old games on W10? Or can I run W7 in a box?: Hi all, just joined up. I don't use W10 myself yet but I'm about to set up an all-in-one PC for an elderly relative. She's a great fan of many old games, like Bejeweled, Flipwords, Text Twist, Luxor etc, and owns 20 or 30. But I'm beginning to wonder if old software...