Windows 10: Trying to set up a recovery drive and backup system files

Discus and support Trying to set up a recovery drive and backup system files in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am trying to follow these steps to set up a recovery disc onto a 128-GB flash drive. I am in Administrator mode. If I check the "back up systems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by tollbooth, Feb 26, 2021.

1. tollbooth Win User

Trying to set up a recovery drive and backup system files

I am trying to follow these steps to set up a recovery disc onto a 128-GB flash drive. I am in Administrator mode. If I check the "back up systems files to the recovery drive" option, selecting to proceed, and waiting for a few minutes, the recovery drive creator won't let me go any farther. If I uncheck it, it just asks me for 1 GB of space, and I can proceed easily.

Is it really possible that I have at least 128 GB of system files? If I do, is there a way to safely trim them down? Or am I going to have to settle for creating a recovery disc without the system files?

(Windows 10 Home version# 1903)

:)

tollbooth, Feb 26, 2021
  2. jumanji Win User

A 32GB flash drive should be more than sufficient for a recovery drive. Format it to FAT32 ( if already not formatted to FAT32) and then try to create your recovery drive.

Do you get any error message? Post the error message.

Did you repartition/meddle with your system drive anytime? On an elevated command prompt type
    reagentc /info press enter and check whether it is enabled.

Trying to set up a recovery drive and backup system files [​IMG]

jumanji, Feb 26, 2021
  3. tollbooth Win User

I am trying to follow these steps to set up a recovery disc onto a 128-GB flash drive. I am in Administrator mode. If I check the "back up systems files to the recovery drive" option, selecting to proceed, and waiting for a few minutes, the recovery drive creator won't let me go any farther. If I uncheck it, it just asks me for 1 GB of space, and I can proceed easily.

Is it really possible that I have at least 128 GB of system files? If I do, is there a way to safely trim them down? Or am I going to have to settle for creating a recovery disc without the system files?

(Windows 10 Home version# 1903)

tollbooth, Feb 26, 2021
  4. Try3 Win User

The Recovery drive procedure has always been temperamental.

I suggest you search in the tutorial thread for suitable guidance and post there if you need to.
    - it has pages & pages of posts from other members so use the Search thread facility at the right-hand end of the green bar right near the top of the tutorial page.

I'd like to check one thing but I am probably reading too much into your choice of words. Where you said, "I am in Administrator mode", did you simply mean that you had accepted the UAC prompt [step 4 of the tutorial] or did you mean something else?
    - accepted the UAC prompt [step 4 of the tutorial] - OK
    - something else - please explain what you did mean.

You'll get lots of people suggesting that you use system images instead and suggesting that you choose Macrium Reflect [free edition] for this.

Other utilities are available but this one is so commonplace that you can get plenty of help for it.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect - TenForumsTutorials
    Macrium Software Macrium Reflect Free
    Macrium USB - TenForums
    Macrium Reflect KnowledgeBase - user guide [version-independent link]

It can also make bootable system images. This facility is called viBoot and it requires Win10 Pro.
    Macrium viBoot - Macrium KB
    Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image - TenForumsTutorials

While you're thinking about backups, consider Backup and Restore Device Drivers - TenForumsTutorials as well.

All the best,
    Denis

Thema:

1. Trying to set up a recovery drive and backup system files - Similar Threads - Trying set recovery

2. Reflect Backup Files / Sets not Shown in Recovery Environment

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Reflect Backup Files / Sets not Shown in Recovery Environment: I booted to the Macrium Recovery Environment for Reflect v8 for my PC which has a system drive C and another drive D for Reflect backups. I can browse to find the backup files on drive D in the recovery environment. However, when I add the path D:\Reflect Backups no backup...
  3. Trying to set up a recovery drive and backup system files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Trying to set up a recovery drive and backup system files: I am trying to follow these steps to set up a recovery disc onto a 128-GB flash drive. I am in Administrator mode. If I check the "back up systems files to the recovery drive" option, selecting to proceed, and waiting for a few minutes, the recovery drive creator won't let me...
  4. Trying to set Dropbox as default backup drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to set Dropbox as default backup drive: Just got a new laptop and it wants me to use onedrive as the default drive but I have to pay for it. I already pay for Dropbox and want it to be my preferent drive how do I do that? submitted by /u/taviSTakahashi [link] [comments]...
  5. I’m trying to wipe off all the files off my drive and settings>system recovery> recovery>...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I’m trying to wipe off all the files off my drive and settings>system recovery> recovery>...: After installing windows startup on my USB, I went to the reset pc setting in setting and clicked remove all files. It told me to reset the pc with a windows system recovery device so I restarted the pc. Then I booted it back up with the USB plugged in and it’s telling me to...
  6. Can't Back Up System Files To The Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't Back Up System Files To The Recovery Drive: I am attempting to create a Recovery Drive, using an external hard drive. On the screen "create a recovery drive", there is an option to "back up system files to the recovery drive". If I check that box, the next screen "please wait" with the green status bar runs forever,...
  7. Trying to set a backup to my local network drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to set a backup to my local network drive: It won't let me do so as I don't have a password set up on my network? Why is this? My network doesn't insist on a password, I don't want or need to set a password, so why should Windows 10 back up?...
  8. Create recovery drive with "backup of system files" option.

Create recovery drive with "backup of system files" option.: Hello friends! I have a little doubt regarding the creation of a recovery disc.When starting the creation of a recovery unit, if I select the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive", according to the media creation program, I can perform a Windows installation...
  9. Backup of System drive.

Backup of System drive.: I hope this is the right forum for this question which is to do with backing up Windows 10. I have recently purchased a new laptop which came with Windows 8 and a 1TB hard drive which I partitioned into two - one for the OS (Drive C) and the other for data (Drive F). The...
  10. What does unchecking "Backup system files to the recovery drive" do?

What does unchecking "Backup system files to the recovery drive" do?: I'm trying to create a recovery for my Windows 10, and during the process I get an error saying that: "We can't create the recovery drive: A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive." With some searching, I found that a common way to fix the error is to un-tick the...