Windows 10: Trying to set up file and printer sharing

Discus and support Trying to set up file and printer sharing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey all, first post here. I've been trying to set up file sharing and printer sharing on my laptops and desktop for about 6 hours now. I searched... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jmi21, May 17, 2020.

1. Jmi21 Win User

Trying to set up file and printer sharing

Hey all, first post here. I've been trying to set up file sharing and printer sharing on my laptops and desktop for about 6 hours now. I searched everywhere and tried almost everything but the devices just cant see each other.

The network is a private network, network discovery, file and printer sharing, public folder sharing are on, password sharing is off. Checked everything, followed many different guides, reset network settings and so on, but they just cant see each other.

But, when I connected to my secondary router my laptops were able to access each other. Is there any setting in my main router that could be preventing the computers from seeing each other? I don't really know how to configure routers, I could just change the SSID and passwords.

Thanks very much for any inputs.

-as I am typing, I enabled the upnp setting of my main router as it's enabled in my secondary router. Now one laptop could see the other, but cant access it.

:)

Jmi21, May 17, 2020
  2. Karen Her Win User

turning on file and printer sharing windows 10

Thank you for the update. What we can suggest now is to turn on File and Printer sharing in Command Prompt. Here are the steps to do it:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type CMD in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Exit from the command prompt, and check if it will work.

If issue persists, try turning it on using Powershell, and check if it works. Here are the steps:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type Powershell in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Windows PowerShell, and select
      Run as Administrator
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Close PowerShell.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, May 17, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Can't share printer—getting error message

Step 1: Go to store.
    Step 2: Buy a less shitty printer.
    Step 3: Pick up some beer while you are there.
    Step 4: Enjoy both your new printer and your beer.

In all seriousness, I have had more issues with Lexmark printers and their shitty drivers then any other manufacturer, HP is a close second though.

However, if you don't want to get a new printer*Laugh :laugh:, and I can understand that, when my Lexmark was giving me the same troubles in Win7(and Vista) I had to make sure the Windows firewall was ON and the firewall service was enabled and running. After I shared it I could re-disable the firewall and firewall services.

newtekie1, May 17, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Connect to a shared printer located on a 32bit windows from windows 10 (64 bit)

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Window Key, and type Network and sharing.

• Click on Change Advanced sharing settings.

• Select all network.

• Under file and printer sharing.

• Turn on file and printer sharing.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, May 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Trying to set up file and printer sharing - Similar Threads - Trying set file

2. Trying to share a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to share a file: I'm an individual and trying to share a large zip file that is too large to be sent through gmail. Is OneDrive similar to Dropbox in that I can share a link and the other person should be able to access the document through the link? Do I need to be working on the computer at...
  3. Trying to share a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to share a file: I'm an individual and trying to share a large zip file that is too large to be sent through gmail. Is OneDrive similar to Dropbox in that I can share a link and the other person should be able to access the document through the link? Do I need to be working on the computer at...
  4. Printer set up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Printer set up: A new hp printer that didn't come with set up ink an dis not didital cant even get an ip address to finish my register so I can get ink! ugh! please someone Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-set-up/61580cdd-1419-4910-afa7-97dfd18ee5fb
  5. File and printer sharing not turning on!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File and printer sharing not turning on!: Hi, I run a NAS on my home network, on my old version of Windows 10 it was visible and accessible. I had to do a clean install of Windows 10 to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. Windows install the latest version 1909 and now I cannot turn on file and printer sharing over a...
  6. File and Printer Sharing

File and Printer Sharing: I've just down a clean install of the latest version of windows 10 v1909, I cannot turn on File and Printer sharing on a private network. I use a NAS and I cannot see it in my network. Any thoughts would be appreciated....
  7. Printer set-up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer set-up: How do I change my printer from manual to automatic duplexing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-set-up/543a7707-e4cd-4ac0-8db2-ec69692f1c72
  8. Logistics question on File and Printer Sharing settings

Logistics question on File and Printer Sharing settings: Trying to figure logistics here. The Network Adapter Option Properties of > File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks. Do I just Check or Uncheck it as desired OR do I need to also then select it and then click the lower buttons to Install or Uninstall respectively?...
  9. File and printer sharing turned on

File and printer sharing turned on: Hi, two days ago i got a new router from my provider because with my old one the connection just kept identifying, after a restart w10 identified it as network 2, when booting up before that it was still network, but even after the reboot it didn't ask me what network profile...
  10. Lesson on File and Printer Sharing

Lesson on File and Printer Sharing: I need a lesson on file and printer sharing. I have 2 laptops connected to a Netgear 60 router; one via wifi and one via an ethernet cable. I forgot the passwords from when I created the network several years ago. Now, both computers see each other but I can't gain access...