Windows 10: Trying to share files between two PCs

Discus and support Trying to share files between two PCs in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two PCs running the latest Windows 10 software connected to the same network. I really need to be able to have the computers see each other so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ironside, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Ironside Win User

Trying to share files between two PCs

I have two PCs running the latest Windows 10 software connected to the same network. I really need to be able to have the computers see each other so I can share files between the two. However, that doesn't seem to be the case and I always seem to have problems. For the sake of brevity let's call the PC I am on, PC1 and my other PC, PC2.

PC1 is a brand-new computer I have just installed. If I click on network in file Explorer I cannot PC1 listed, only PC2. On the other hand, if I click on network on PC2 I can only see the name of PC2 listed and not PC1.

For you ask, yes, I have gone into network and sharing and collect all the buttons to enable file sharing and network discovery and also switched off password requirement. I have a feeling I have to go into a file folder and enable sharing. However, which file folder should I use?

Thank you in advance

:)

Ironside, Mar 12, 2020

2. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Mar 12, 2020
  3. Mala_S Win User
    Android to PC file Share - Security at risk

Hello Anuj Indoria,

To address the issue, kindly help us with the following questions.

1. If the computer is connected via cable, may I know how the phone is connected to the computer?
    2. If the computer is connected via Wi-Fi, may I know how the phone is connected to the computer?
    3. When you connect the computer via Wi-Fi, will it asks for the Wi-Fi credentials or the computer credentials?
    I would recommend you to check with the below suggestions and see if it works.

Method 1: Turn on password protected sharing.

If the password protected sharing is on, only people who have a user account and password on that computer can access shared files attached to that computer and the Public folders. To restrict other people access, you must turn on password protected sharing.
    To do that

• Go to search window and type Managed advanced sharing settings and click on it.
    • Click the down arrow on the right of All Networks to expand the settings.
    • Select Turn on password protected sharing from the list and click on
      Save changes.

Method 2: Create a shared folder.

You can share files between your android and PC and keep it encrypted by creating a shared folder from the following steps.

• Create a shared folder and assign a name to it.
    • In ES File Explorer on your phone, hit the globe icon which is on the upper-left corner and navigate the network - LAN.
    • Click Search on the menu from the bottom to search for networks (Make sure to connect the phone and PC till you get the IP Address of your PC).
    • Click the icon and add your Username and Password.
    • After creating a shared folder, you can easily add sharing files back and forth using ES File explorer.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Mar 12, 2020
  4. Amit_Sun Win User

view pc files from Android stopped working

Hi,

This issue could be caused when the pc is not set to discoverable over the network.

1. How are you trying to share the file?
    2. Are you accessing the file over Bluetooth/Hotspot or over WIFI?

Try few of the troubleshooting below to further eliminate the cause of the issue.

Steps:

1. I suggest you to create a share folder on your computer, right click and share it with both read and write permission, and check if that helps.
    2. You can try to check the article on

Changes to file sharing over a network in Windows 10
      and check if this helps.

If you still face the issue, I suggest to contact
    ES Explorer support
    , scroll down the page and find the support contact.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Mar 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Trying to share files between two PCs - Similar Threads - Trying share files

2. share files between two pcs on home lan ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    share files between two pcs on home lan ethernet: I have a PC at home connected by ethernet to a router. This shows as Network 5 in Network and Sharing Centre.I have another PC in another room connected via ethernet to the same router. This shows as Network 2 In its Network and Sharing Centre. I've tried everything I can...
  3. share files between two pcs on home lan ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    share files between two pcs on home lan ethernet: I have a PC at home connected by ethernet to a router. This shows as Network 5 in Network and Sharing Centre.I have another PC in another room connected via ethernet to the same router. This shows as Network 2 In its Network and Sharing Centre. I've tried everything I can...
  4. share files between two pcs on home lan ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Not all files are appearing in a folder shared between two PCs in our network

Not all files are appearing in a folder shared between two PCs in our network: We have a couple of employees that use a shared folder on our network. One of them had recently added a couple of files to one of the folders within that "main" folder, but when they went to that folder at a later time those 4 files weren't appearing anymore in File Explorer....
  6. Folder sharing between two pcs on same network

Folder sharing between two pcs on same network: Hi, This may be a stupid question to ask my apologise if so. I know how to share one folder between two computers what I do not know if there is a way to share more than one folder to the same mapped drive? For example share Documents and Pictures in the same mapped drive...
  7. Sharing Files Between Two Workstations.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing Files Between Two Workstations.: Hello, I need a solution to share files between two Windows 10 machines. Requirements Ease of use, easy to drag-drop/save files into shared folder Good security and must keep both devices separate No wired connection If anybody has any suggestions, links/resources or...
  8. File sharing between Windows 10 PCs

File sharing between Windows 10 PCs: Used to be able to share files between a Windows 10 PC and a Windows 7 PC, but it doesn't work now that I upgraded the Windows 7 to Windows 10. Tried to share the Users folder with Everybody, but got a message that the files could not be shared. How do I fix?...
  9. Share files on two PCs

Share files on two PCs: I have two laptops, both with current win10 as of 1/30/19, both access internet via same home Wi-Fi. How do I, over said Wi-Fi: 1. Reset them both to default network settings, then 2. Allow laptop A to open a file on laptop B? I just want laptop A to go to file manager,...
  10. File sharing between Windows 10 PCs

File sharing between Windows 10 PCs: Once again a Windows 10 update has shut down our private network file sharing on my wife's and my two Windows 10 computers. This happens every time there is a large update, but I don't remember the fix. We both keep some accounting files on each of our two office computers...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. If sync is pending do I have to keep both laptops one ntil it is finished?