Windows 10: Trying to swap boot drive from Optiplex to Precision

Discus and support Trying to swap boot drive from Optiplex to Precision in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am switching computers from a Dell Optiplex 7020 to a Dell Precision 3431. I'd like to simply swap the C: drive with Windows and all my programs from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlanM_083, Dec 8, 2023.

1. AlanM_083 Win User

Trying to swap boot drive from Optiplex to Precision

I am switching computers from a Dell Optiplex 7020 to a Dell Precision 3431. I'd like to simply swap the C: drive with Windows and all my programs from the 7020 to the 3431. I've done this in the past with optiplex upgrades. But when I put the old drive in the 3431, replacing the c: drive that came with the computer, the 3431 doesn't recognize the old drive as a boot drive. The old drive is visible in Windows and Bios, but the 3431 won't boot from it. Is there a setting I need to change to get the new computer to recognize the older drive as bootable, or do I need to start over and reins

:)

AlanM_083, Dec 8, 2023

2. Swapping drive letters, including boot volume

I have a new computer. I want to clone the system to a new SSD. Can I change the drive letter of the SSD to C: after cloning?

I have a new ASUS M52BC with:

• 1 TB hard drive with a Windows (CTrying to swap boot drive from Optiplex to Precision :) and empty data (DTrying to swap boot drive from Optiplex to Precision :) partition
    • Windows 8.1 (I will upgrade to Windows 10 very soon) on the hard drive
    • Samsung SSD 850 EVO (physically installed but nothing more done to it)
    What I want to get to is:

• 1 TB hard drive with the data (DTrying to swap boot drive from Optiplex to Precision :) partition and (for the old Windows partition) the drive letter of the C: changed to something else
    • Windows 10 on the SSD as the C:
    I don't intend to boot to Windows on the hard drive after I get Windows working on the SSD unless I need to remove the SSD for return to ASUS for repair. (My new computer had a bad motherboard when I received it but I hope I do not need to return it again.)

I want to clone Windows to the SSD using the Samsung Data Migration tool. During the clone, the SSD will of course not have the drive letter "C". To boot from and use the SSD after the cloning, it must have the drive letter "C", correct? I assume the Data
    Migration tool cannot change the drive letter used by the software it clones.

After the clone, how do I swap the drive letters? I assume I cannot change the drive letter of the hard drive Windows partition when it was used to boot from because it would be the boot drive, correct?

I know that some people will suggest that I do a fresh install. I want to avoid doing that if possible.

I see
    Migrate system partition to a new disk
    . I think that describes doing what I am trying to do, but unfortunately he does not know how he did it.

Simple Samples, Dec 8, 2023
  3. little cat, Dec 8, 2023
  4. spunk Win User

Trying to boot from USB drive  

Did you burn your USB Flash drive using these instructions? How to Try and Install Chrome OS Flex: Step-By-Step Guide Also, try the Flash drive on another computer. Like Ubuntu, you can boot the computer with the flash drive and run the Chrome OS from it to Try it, without installing it.

spunk, Dec 8, 2023
Thema:

1. Trying to swap boot drive from Optiplex to Precision - Similar Threads - Trying swap boot

2. Trying to swap boot drive from Optiplex to Precision

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to swap boot drive from Optiplex to Precision: I am switching computers from a Dell Optiplex 7020 to a Dell Precision 3431. I'd like to simply swap the C: drive with Windows and all my programs from the 7020 to the 3431. I've done this in the past with optiplex upgrades. But when I put the old drive in the 3431, replacing...
  3. Trying to swap boot drive from Optiplex to Precision

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to swap boot drive from Optiplex to Precision: I am switching computers from a Dell Optiplex 7020 to a Dell Precision 3431. I'd like to simply swap the C: drive with Windows and all my programs from the 7020 to the 3431. I've done this in the past with optiplex upgrades. But when I put the old drive in the 3431, replacing...
  4. No boot in Dell Optiplex

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No boot in Dell Optiplex: Desktop won't power on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-boot-in-dell-optiplex/185b9832-deb5-4b88-8c01-54bdf213dde2
  5. Dell Optiplex No Boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dell Optiplex No Boot: Desktop No boot ,Black Screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-optiplex-no-boot/68cdd510-b92c-427c-b83c-5796d2cf5e70
  6. No boot in Dell Optiplex

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No boot in Dell Optiplex: Desktop won't power on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-boot-in-dell-optiplex/185b9832-deb5-4b88-8c01-54bdf213dde2
  7. Dell Optiplex No Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell Optiplex No Boot: Desktop No boot ,Black Screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-optiplex-no-boot/68cdd510-b92c-427c-b83c-5796d2cf5e70
  8. swapping boot drives between PC's

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    swapping boot drives between PC's: I'm upgrading my PC and am changing from 8th gen intel to 13th gen, among other things, meaning I need to change my motherboard. Can I just take my boot drive nvme drive and chuck it in the new build or do I need to do something more complex? Will it require me to reactivate...
  9. swapping boot drives between PC's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    swapping boot drives between PC's: I'm upgrading my PC and am changing from 8th gen intel to 13th gen, among other things, meaning I need to change my motherboard. Can I just take my boot drive nvme drive and chuck it in the new build or do I need to do something more complex? Will it require me to reactivate...
  10. swapping boot drives between PC's

in Windows 10 Software and Apps