Windows 10: Trying to swap my motherboard

Discus and support Trying to swap my motherboard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey All, A few years ago I built my first PC and everything went great. Recently I tried to swap out my motherboard but after doing so couldn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by chrisrandall3, May 29, 2019.

1. Trying to swap my motherboard

Hey All,

A few years ago I built my first PC and everything went great. Recently I tried to swap out my motherboard but after doing so couldn't reactivate windows. I then put my previous mobo back in and everything's running fine but I still would like to know how I can get my windows license onto the other mobo.

Activation in settings says I have a digital key tied to my account, but if I log in to my account I don't find any record of a windows license.
    Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly where my windows license came from. I thought I purchased a dvd installer when I bought the rest of the computer but can't find any record of that so apparently did not.

Is there any way for me to just move the license from this mobo to the new one?

Thanks

:)

chrisrandall3, May 29, 2019
  2. Mifflin Win User

Duplicate Devices Shown After Motherboard Swap

Hello,

I recently swapped my motherboard and clean installed Windows 10 (Education Student Edition) on my desktop. In my account page on Microsoft.com I am now being shown two (2) PCs, the current one with the new motherboard and the old one with the old mother
    board (no longer assembled). The format for both of them is listed as follows:

PC NAME

MS-1234

Serial #: To be filled by O.E.M.**

Windows 10 Education

(10.0.12345.67)

**The old PC has nothing listed as the serial #.

Now, there is an option to simply remove the PC from my account. What I'm concerned with here is if that is the correct choice without needing to do anything else. What I mean is, on the old motherboard is my OS still installed and if I delete the old PC
    from my account could it cause potential problems in the future? Thank you four your time and guidance.

Regards,

Mifflin, May 29, 2019
  3. VisioWL Win User
    Windows 10 not activated after motherboard swap

Hi,

I've ran into interesting problem after swapping out my computer's motherboard. The old motherboard contained a windows 8.1 pro key in the bios and the computer was upgraded to window 10 pro. After I swapped out the motherboard, the old one was fried, and
    put the new one in, I can't activate windows anymore.

The new motherboard contains a new windows 8.1 key but is there a way to activate it? Or do i simply have to reinstall windows 10?

Best regards.

VisioWL, May 29, 2019
  4. Trying to swap my motherboard

Choice of memory and motherboard... a bit stuck...

No one who got some suggestions on this one, huh?

I've found out that the Asus M3A78-T needs to be flashed, so then that motherboard is excluded from my list. Which motherboard and memory should I then go for? Any suggestions?

minstreless, May 29, 2019
Thema:

Trying to swap my motherboard

1. Trying to swap my motherboard - Similar Threads - Trying swap motherboard

2. Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated: I changed my motherboard without taking notes of my windows key so now my windows appears as deactivated.I tried to access the troubleshoot but it only gives me errors of not reaching the servers, also, a button to try through microsoft account doesnt even appear....
  3. Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated: I changed my motherboard without taking notes of my windows key so now my windows appears as deactivated.I tried to access the troubleshoot but it only gives me errors of not reaching the servers, also, a button to try through microsoft account doesnt even appear....
  4. Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Cannot Activate after Motherboard swap.

Cannot Activate after Motherboard swap.: Hello I bought a PC with a fresh install of Windows 10 Home. I set up PC and activated/linked Windows 10 to my Microsoft account. A few moths later I upgraded my Motherboard and I wanted to make sure Windows 10 was activated on new MOBO to avoid any issues, problem is the " I...
  6. windows 10 and motherboard swapping

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 and motherboard swapping: I bought a computer everything already built. it came with windows 10 on it. I have been slowly upgrading the components over time. My question is, is windows 10 tied to the hard drive or the motherboard. Ive read before that some people have problems swapping in a new...
  7. Windows not Reactivating after Motherboard Swap

Windows not Reactivating after Motherboard Swap: Hey everyone, I just swapped out my motherboard on my computer and got the activate windows message in the bottom right hand corner of my screen. Before replacing my motherboard, I had a Windows 10 Pro license. The troubleshooter doesn't seem to allow me to re-activate...
  8. Reactivation after motherboard swap

Reactivation after motherboard swap: I switched out my motherboard last night and now Windows is telling me it can't activate. How do I use the windows key I just purchased a couploe months ago?...
  9. Reactivating Windows After Swapping Motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reactivating Windows After Swapping Motherboard: I need to swap motherboards, and I was wondering how I go about transferring my current windows 10 license to my new computer - I don't have access to the license key, however the desktop is registered to my Microsoft account. I don't currently have access to the desktop,...
  10. Reactivation after motherboard swap

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reactivation after motherboard swap: My motherboard died, I'm going to get a new one that's going to be a different brand so I imagine Win 10 will notice. I'm aware that the proper way to reactivate after a hardware change is to link your license to an MS account. The thing is, I never linked the license to an...