Windows 10: Trying to understand authorities/permissions

Discus and support Trying to understand authorities/permissions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello - I've been viewing authorities/permissions as hierarchical with each successive level incorporating everything from the previous level and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ritjesman, Sep 29, 2020.

1. ritjesman Win User

Trying to understand authorities/permissions

Hello - I've been viewing authorities/permissions as hierarchical with each successive level incorporating everything from the previous level and adding to it per this pic:

Trying to understand authorities/permissions [​IMG]

Today I encountered an anomaly which conflicts with that view whilst unsuccessfully attempting to move the hibernation file to my data drive. Namely I could perform the powercfg -h command with cmd running as admin but it failed running as System:

Trying to understand authorities/permissions [​IMG]

So now I'm no longer confident I understand this correctly. Googling results indicate a lack of consensus in the tech community and lack of consistently applied definitions within MS documentation regarding the relationships between these authority ?levels?.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Thank you.

:)

ritjesman, Sep 29, 2020

2. Restore Security Permissions

Hello Deepak,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have cancelled the security permissions while setting it to folders and you are trying to restore back. We will help you.

• Which folder are you trying to set the permissions?
    • What are you referring to " files is affected "?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Open the file explorer and select the destination folder
      for which you wanted to revert back the permission changes.
    • Right click on the folder. Select the Previous versions
      tab.
    • Select the previous version in the below list and click
      apply
    • Check if the issue persists.
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Sep 29, 2020
  3. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Sep 29, 2020
  4. Trying to understand authorities/permissions

Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

Trying to understand authorities/permissions

1. Trying to understand authorities/permissions - Similar Threads - Trying understand authorities

2. Trying to Understand this person's thread

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to Understand this person's thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-family-and-other-people-in-account/27568e93-827a-4acc-a13f-24238f8951f9In the above thread, is the original poster is saying that his family and other people disappears in account settingsDoes he mean that his...
  3. Trying to Understand this person's thread

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to Understand this person's thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-family-and-other-people-in-account/27568e93-827a-4acc-a13f-24238f8951f9In the above thread, is the original poster is saying that his family and other people disappears in account settingsDoes he mean that his...
  4. Trying to Understand this person's thread

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Trying to Understand Windows File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to Understand Windows File Explorer: Hi all,I'm brand new to Windows and am trying to make sense of the file explorer. On the leftmost navigation window, everything in my computer OneDrive, This PC, Libraries, etc. seems to be grouped under a "Desktop" folder which doesn't have a file path. But under both "This...
  6. Trying to Understand Windows File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to Understand Windows File Explorer: Hi all,I'm brand new to Windows and am trying to make sense of the file explorer. On the leftmost navigation window, everything in my computer OneDrive, This PC, Libraries, etc. seems to be grouped under a "Desktop" folder which doesn't have a file path. But under both "This...
  7. Trying to understand syncing

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Trying to understand syncing: I did a fresh Window install for "friend" - The moment I signed into Windows with his Microsoft account, the desktop populated but he claims that it did not look like his old desktop from his old PC before the HD crashed and that it look more like his wife's PC. I looked at...
  8. Trying to understand synching

in Windows 10 Support
    Trying to understand synching: I did a fresh Window install for "friend" - The moment I signed into Windows with his Microsoft account, the desktop populated but he claims that it did not look like his old desktop from his old PC before the HD crashed and that it look more like his wife's PC. I looked at...
  9. Trying to Get Admin Authority

in Windows 10 Customization
    Trying to Get Admin Authority: Can someone explain what that statement in bold really means? I've been trying to figure out how to get admin access on my laptop. I thought I had administrative authority, but I don't. If someone could explain to me what this means, I'd be grateful. [IMG]...
  10. Trouble with having administrator privelages on windows or understanding permissions, and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trouble with having administrator privelages on windows or understanding permissions, and...: Hello, I am trying to use a vive eye pro, and for some reason. I'ts been messing up. First by asking me to 'run a program' or the permission to run it among things. (Mid execution of a thing that already installed). After I fully completed an installation. And second, when I...