Windows 10: Trying to Understand Backup/Recover/Restore Options

Discus and support Trying to Understand Backup/Recover/Restore Options in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; New to Windows 10, wanting to set up my backup routine(s). Although I have had Windows systems in the past( 95, XP, Vista, 8.1) still not quite... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by retexan599, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Trying to Understand Backup/Recover/Restore Options

New to Windows 10, wanting to set up my backup routine(s). Although I have had Windows systems in the past( 95, XP, Vista, 8.1) still not quite understanding what the various backup options provide. What I have done:
    • Activated File History to an external hard drive.
    • Created a Restore Point.
    • Created a 'System Image Backup' using the Windows 10 native procedure [to the same external hard drive].
    • Created a 'Windows Backup' using the procedure in Control Panel| System and Security| Backup and Restore (Windows 7). [to the same external hard drive].
    • Created an emergency Recovery Drive on a USB stick.
    I have read the tutorials on these subjects and cannot get my head around all these options. I do understand the 'File History' only backs up my files and not any programs, etc. But what is the difference between #2, #3, and #4 above? Especially between #3 and #4?

I have read the various posts recommending using a 3rd party solution such as Macrium, but before I got that route I wonder if I am not adequately covered by the native Windows 10 options.

Any help appreciated.

John
    P.S. BTW, in all those years I have been fortunate never to have had to do even a Restore from a Restore Point.

:)

retexan599, Nov 18, 2018
  2. Meghana C Win User

issue with backup options Windows 10

Hi David,

I will certainly help with the issue you are facing with backup option.

To assist you better, kindly provide the information:

• How exactly are you trying to perform back up? Is it from the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) or File History?

• Which drive have you selected to back up? Is it an external drive or a network drive or a local drive of the system?

• When you say 'only allows me to do another backup with the same options', which options are you referring to?

• Are you unable to select a different drive for a backup from the backup destination list?
    If you are using a Backup and Restore (Windows 7) option then, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Type backup and restore in the search bar and press enter.

• Click on setup backup option.

• Click on refresh button to check if the drives are visible in the
      backup destination list.

• Choose the drive which you want to back up and click on
      next.
    If you are trying to use file history I suggest you to un-plug it and restart your computer. Re-plug the external drive and check if the file history options are available.

Please get back to us with the information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Meghana C, Nov 18, 2018
  3. sumasage Win User
    Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Nov 18, 2018
  4. pt1209 Win User

Trying to Understand Backup/Recover/Restore Options

Backup Restore option not listed??

We just replaced my wifes Dell Axim with the Palm Treo 750 and all went fine setting up with Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1.6965 except the Backup/Restore option is not listed for the Treo, when I connected the Dell Axim it was there and even ran it
    and all was fine, then I connected the Treo and the Backup/Restore option isn't even listed?? I thought maybe I had to end the partnership with the Dell for it to appear and did so but still there is not Backup/Restore option listed... Anyone have any idea
    why this is?? I hate to have her Treo crash and not have everything backed up, she uses it for her research and reference material as a Hospice NP.

pt1209, Nov 18, 2018
Thema:

Trying to Understand Backup/Recover/Restore Options

1. Trying to Understand Backup/Recover/Restore Options - Similar Threads - Trying Understand Backup

2. Trying to understand syncing

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Trying to understand syncing: I did a fresh Window install for "friend" - The moment I signed into Windows with his Microsoft account, the desktop populated but he claims that it did not look like his old desktop from his old PC before the HD crashed and that it look more like his wife's PC. I looked at...
  3. Asking help understanding the Windows Backup & Restore.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Asking help understanding the Windows Backup & Restore.: I have a Windows 10 PC with all the updates. I started using Windows Backup & Restore. I am wording my query on Google every way I can but it doesn't seem to answer anything that I understand right away. I have the B&R scheduled every night at 12am. Now does this erase the...
  4. Understanding Windows 10 backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Understanding Windows 10 backup: Anticipating some significant changes to my desktop PC, I did a backup to my networked (if that's the correct term?) QNAP NAS. However, this left me with a few questions so I'd really appreciate some explanations. I've backed up several times already to my NAS when using...
  5. Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration)

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration): Oh boy. So it begins with the desire to have basically a "mirror" of my entire outlook install on a second pc, but I havent even GOTTEN to that point yet. By chance I was looking at my account settings > data files and clicked on a few of my emailname.ost files. Each returned...
  6. Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration): Oh boy. So it begins with the desire to have basically a "mirror" of my entire outlook install on a second pc, but I havent even GOTTEN to that point yet. By chance I was looking at my account settings > data files and clicked on a few of my emailname.ost files. Each returned...
  7. Trying to restore and recover from external drive

Trying to restore and recover from external drive: Hi All, Hope you can help. Have followed a number of possibilities hoping to solve my problem. The most accurate yet goes back to December 5, 2017 and the information given by DaveM121. I am having the same problem as Amyoberlies - unfortunately when I am in safe mode, I...
  8. Backup and Restore (Windows 7) displays no options

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore (Windows 7) displays no options: Running Windows 10 - I used Backup and Restore (Windows 7) 2 days ago to create a system image and backup several user directories. Today when I try to use the same function there are no options on the page - see the attachment. I've shutdown and restarted. I have Admin...
  9. Backup and Restore On-Screen Keyboard Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore On-Screen Keyboard Options in Windows: How to: Backup and Restore On-Screen Keyboard Options in Windows How to Backup and Restore On-Screen Keyboard Options in Windows There are several different kinds of keyboards for PCs. The most common type is a physical, external keyboard that you plug into your PC....
  10. Recovering Files from Backup -- Not All Files Restored

Recovering Files from Backup -- Not All Files Restored: I recently performed a clean installation of Windows 10 after some issues I was having with the PC. The clean install went successfully with no errors along the way. Now, however, I am trying to restore files from the backup I made prior to the clean install. If I look on...