Windows 10: Trying to update Windows 10. Computer has been offline for the past few months. Keep...

Discus and support Trying to update Windows 10. Computer has been offline for the past few months. Keep... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I retried the above through the normal process many times, always errors out. I downloaded the Media Creation Tool as mentioned in another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JamesOxford1, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Trying to update Windows 10. Computer has been offline for the past few months. Keep...

Trying to update Windows 10.  Computer has been offline for the past few months.  Keep... f2cc0429-c2dd-4366-8ebd-094f9db140dd?upload=true.jpg

I retried the above through the normal process many times, always errors out.

I downloaded the Media Creation Tool as mentioned in another forum, but after a couple of hours of seeming to be successful. On the final restart, it said there was an error and it was reverting back to before.

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

What can I do to get my computer updated?

:)

JamesOxford1, Jan 5, 2020
  2. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft enables offline play for Windows 10 games

Most Windows 10 games will support offline play, but you'll have to work at it.

Trying to update Windows 10.  Computer has been offline for the past few months.  Keep... NK5onxJwAvtQTxbkwSUoG8-650-80.png

"Larry Hryb, the man known to the world as Major Nelson, announced on Twittertoday that Microsoft has "made some backend updates to improve your experience playing @Windows 10 games offline." Basically, if you're going to be somewhere that lacks online coverage—on a submarine, for instance—it will still be possible to play your games. But there are some restrictions.

"Most games available in the Store on your Windows 10 device support offline play, but check the details of the game to make sure yours is supported by searching for your game at http://www.xbox.com," the Xbox support site says. "Most games with a campaign mode will be playable offline, but games with network co-op or multiplayer features will not work while you’re offline. While playing offline, some features, such as the ability to purchase additional items from the Windows Store, will not be available. Additionally, any leaderboards will be unavailable while you're offline."

Obviously, online features like buying stuff from in-game stores won't be available when you're offline, but the bit about "games with network co-op or multplayer features" not working while offline really isn't clear. We tested with Gears of War 4 and confirmed that the offline features like campaign and LAN multiplayer worked just fine when disconnected.

There are more caveats, though. You're limited to just one "designated offline device" at a time, and you can only change your designated offline device three times per year. Switching into offline mode isn't all that easy, either. First, you'll need to set your designated offline device:

• Make sure that you’re online.
    • Check that your device has the latest Windows updates: Go to Start,Settings, Update and security, and then Windows Update and see if any relevant updates are available.
    • Open the Store. You’ll be prompted to sign in if you haven’t already.
    • Select the Me icon (this is your profile picture).
    • Select Settings, and then under Offline Permissions, make sure that the toggle is set to On.
    After that, you'll have to "prepare" your games by launching each one that you want to play offline while you're still online, and logging into your Xbox Live account. This is a bit like launching Steam into Offline mode while you still have an internet connection... but you'll have to prepare each individual Xbox game this way before going offline.

Once you've logged into the game while you're online, you can exit at any time and you'll be set. Of course, if you change your mind and want to play something you haven't properly prepared, you're out of luck.

The upside is that this only affects Windows 10 games, but it still seems wildly complicated and restrictive to me. Worse, while improved functionality is always welcome, I can't see how this does anything but beg for unflattering comparisons with Steam: When I want to play my Steam games offline, I set Steam offline, restart it, and I'm on my way—and I can do it as often as I want. Microsoft's implementation of offline play is an improvement, but only because it wasn't available at all previously. As a step toward becoming more competitive with Steam, though, it falls woefully short.
    "

Microsoft enables offline play for Windows 10 games | PC Gamer

P4-630, Jan 5, 2020
  3. Microsoft Decreasing Windows 10 Updates Downtime in Fall Creators Update

If you're a standard Windows user, you probably find Windows updates something of a pain - especially when they force you to reboot your PC after they're installed. But imagine you own a business that constantly has its machines up and running, but also requires the latest security upgrades; each minute of downtime for installing such updates is lost revenue. Because of that issue, which companies brought to Microsoft's attention over the years, the company is streamlining its update process, decreasing the amount of update steps that need to be taken offline (which means less time waiting for the machines to become available to use following an update.)

Trying to update Windows 10.  Computer has been offline for the past few months.  Keep... xS3v6SsY1Oth1GTi_thm.jpg

Trying to update Windows 10.  Computer has been offline for the past few months.  Keep... rb329X0kNSIMR51b_thm.jpg

Trying to update Windows 10.  Computer has been offline for the past few months.  Keep... kef8qVLYFSTGu48s_thm.jpg

Usually, in updating your Windows system, there are two phases: an "online" phase, in which your PC automatically checks for new updates and actively downloads required system files while allowing you to keep using the computer for various tasks. The second "offline" phase is where the bulk of the work occurs during the update process, and doesn't allow the user to make use of the machine while this process is taking place (read reboot update sequences, for instance.) With Microsoft's latest streamlining process, two steps that previously took place during the "offline" phase will migrate to the online phase. Namely, 1) user content (apps/settings/configurations) back-up and the laying down of new OS files (Windows Image [WIM] process.)

Microsoft's Jason Howard, in a blog post for the upcoming Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, said that "By moving the old offline portions of the upgrade process to the online phase, upgrades will appear to take longer if you're watching or timing the progress. We didn't want to sacrifice usability for offline time so the upgrade processes are run at a lower priority to provide for best performance."

Sources: Microsoft Feedback Hub, Via HotHardware

Raevenlord, Jan 5, 2020
  4. Jayce Win User

Trying to update Windows 10. Computer has been offline for the past few months. Keep...

The Ultimate Realtek HD Audio Driver Mod for Windows 10

I had the realtek error when using the installer, so I did these step and It Worked

1.Go Open up device manager
    2. Go under sound,video, and game controllers
    3. Find Realtek High Definition Audio
    4. Right click and hit update driver
    5. Browse my computer for driver software
    6. Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer
    7. Click Have Disk and hit browse
    8. Click on the Realtek HD Audio mod folder and look for win64
    9. Click on the HDXRT4 and click ok,
    10. Click Next and Yes
    After it is done, restart the PC

You should be good then and also make sure before doing these steps that you have driver enforcement disabled.

Jayce, Jan 5, 2020
Thema:

Trying to update Windows 10. Computer has been offline for the past few months. Keep...

1. Trying to update Windows 10. Computer has been offline for the past few months. Keep... - Similar Threads - Trying update Computer

2. My computer has been extremely slow for the past month or so following a windows 20 update...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer has been extremely slow for the past month or so following a windows 20 update...: If theres any spelling errors please excuse them as Im typing very fast. I updated my computer some time around late february / early march and immediately it began to slow down, eventually freezing at random times before it got worse. Immediately after updating it firefox...
  3. My computer has been extremely slow for the past month or so following a windows 20 update...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer has been extremely slow for the past month or so following a windows 20 update...: If theres any spelling errors please excuse them as Im typing very fast. I updated my computer some time around late february / early march and immediately it began to slow down, eventually freezing at random times before it got worse. Immediately after updating it firefox...
  4. My computer has been extremely slow for the past month or so following a windows 20 update...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. These apps have been saying they are "Installing" for the past few months. I have not been...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    These apps have been saying they are "Installing" for the past few months. I have not been...: There is more than just these apps by the way, wayyy more. What causes this / how can this be fixed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/these-apps-have-been-saying-they-are-installing/6d0cf065-2590-4eb2-8a20-107e2fd4170a
  6. These apps have been saying they are "Installing" for the past few months. I have not been...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    These apps have been saying they are "Installing" for the past few months. I have not been...: There is more than just these apps by the way, wayyy more. What causes this / how can this be fixed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/these-apps-have-been-saying-they-are-installing/6d0cf065-2590-4eb2-8a20-107e2fd4170a
  7. These apps have been saying they are "Installing" for the past few months. I have not been...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows Has Not Been Updating For Months

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Has Not Been Updating For Months: I am not able to update my Windows anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is the error I get: [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-has-not-been-updating-for-months/c20e3953-a073-4e4a-b87f-660b2a4eb875
  9. My computer has been blue screening the past few months randomly, the 4 most common crash...

My computer has been blue screening the past few months randomly, the 4 most common crash...: My computer has been blue screening the past few months randomly, the 4 most common crash errors i get are: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY MEMORY_MANAGEMENT What do I do? What may be the problem?...
  10. Numerous issues over the past few months

Numerous issues over the past few months: I have a custom built PC that I've had for about three years, but over the past few months I've been getting strange BSOD's. When I leave my PC turned off for a few hours, the first time I boot it up it will crash after a completely random period of time. After it restarts,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what happens windows 10 offline for months