Windows 10: Trying to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro, Microsoft Store directs me to Pro for...

Discus and support Trying to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro, Microsoft Store directs me to Pro for... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am trying to upgrade two computers, mine and my wife's. Microsoft store keeps directing me to purchase Win 10 Pro for Workstations. I don't want or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by edmatorr782, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Trying to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro, Microsoft Store directs me to Pro for...

I am trying to upgrade two computers, mine and my wife's. Microsoft store keeps directing me to purchase Win 10 Pro for Workstations. I don't want or need that version. How do I get upgraded to Windows 10 Pro?

:)

edmatorr782, Jun 28, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10 Pro. I understand that you are unable to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. I’ll certainly assist you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• Have you purchased Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft Store?
    • How are you trying to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

If you have purchased the Windows 10 Pro upgrade from Microsoft Store, I would suggest you to refer the section
    Upgrade using your digital license for Windows 10 Pro in the article
    Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro.

However, if you have a Windows 10 Product key, you can refer the section
    Upgrade using a Windows 10 Pro product key from the same article.

If you still face issues in upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, you can get in touch with our live Technical Support team by calling them and they will help you further with the installation. Please refer the article
    Global Customer Service phone numbers to get the Customer support
    number as per your country.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 28, 2020
  3. Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro with a VLK

Hello,

I have multiple computers with Windows 10 Home Retail on them and I have a Windows 10 Pro Volume Licensing Key. How would I go about upgrading the Windows 10 Home computers to Pro without having to reinstall. I have tried following this post:

How to upgrade 1511 from Home to Pro?

But the steps listed here do not work. It said to upgrade to Pro using a Windows 10 Pro default key. I entered the key listed but it does not upgrade from Home to Pro.

Is there a way to just put in the pro key on these computers and have it upgrade?

If you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thank you,

Sam

Samarth_Shah, Jun 28, 2020
  4. Remiscan Win User

Trying to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro, Microsoft Store directs me to Pro for...

Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro with Windows 8.1 Pro key

I've got two laptops:
    • the old one, with Windows 10 Pro (1909) installed after a free update from Windows 8.1 Pro
    • the new one, with Windows 10 Home (1909) installed

I've got the Windows 8.1 Pro product key, and I want to transfer it to the new PC. Microsoft support tried to help me, but here's the conclusions we reached:

• I can't use the 8.1 Pro product key in the setting to upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Pro
    • I could use it if I had Windows 10 Pro installed instead of Home
    • I can't use the generic Windows 10 Pro product key to start the upgrade, because the new PC doesn't have a Pro licence
    • I could upgrade directly from Windows 10 Home to Pro if I had a Windows 10 Pro product key instead of a Windows 8.1 Pro product key
    • I can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro and activate it later, because the installer (from the media creation tool) automatically understands that I have a Home licence and not a Pro licence, and doesn't let me choose

So, according to the support guy, my only option is to clean install Windows 10 Pro, and then it will recognize my Windows 8.1 Pro key and activate it.

It seems so weird to me that, having a valid Pro licence (in the form of a Windows 8.1 Pro product key), I can't directly upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Pro. Like, I have the licence, it will only work if I enter it after the upgrade, but I can only start the upgrade after entering the licence ??

So here I am, asking if there's a workaround that would allow me to simply upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Pro without losing any files, programs or settings, just like if I had a Windows 10 Pro product key instead of a Windows 8.1 one.

Is there any way to convince the media creation tool or whatever else to download an iso/anything that would upgrade Home to Pro?

Whatever the answer is, thank you Trying to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro, Microsoft Store directs me to Pro for... :)

EDIT: Okay so I had a weird idea and I have no idea if it would work, but basically: what if I clean installed Windows 8.1 Pro on another partition on the new PC, activated it to with the product key, updated it to Windows 10 Pro (is that still possible?)... Would that link a Windows 10 Pro licence to my Microsoft account as a digital licence for the new PC, that I could then use to upgrade the other partition to Pro for free through the Microsoft Store?

Remiscan, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

Trying to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro, Microsoft Store directs me to Pro for...

1. Trying to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro, Microsoft Store directs me to Pro for... - Similar Threads - Trying upgrade Home

2. How to upgrade windows 11 home to pro from Microsoft store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to upgrade windows 11 home to pro from Microsoft store: Hi How to upgrade windows 11 home to pro from Microsoft store .Please helpThanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-upgrade-windows-11-home-to-pro-from/348a2f50-11d1-4e24-8cfc-61bd02c2fc4d
  3. Windows 10 Home upgrade to Pro via Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home upgrade to Pro via Microsoft Store: I an activated Windows 10 Home machine and I decided to do the upgrade to Pro. Using the upgrade process via the Microsoft Store, I selected the Pro version instead of the Workstation alternative.After clicking the Install button for the Windows 10 Pro upgrade, the...
  4. Upgrading win 10 home to win10 pro from microsoft store

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading win 10 home to win10 pro from microsoft store: what happens when we are upgrading win 10 home to win10 pro from the Microsoft store, does all the data are lost from the OS driver, which includes software, or It may be available as same even when upgradation....
  5. win 10 upgrade from home to pro, fails upgrade from Microsoft store.

win 10 upgrade from home to pro, fails upgrade from Microsoft store.: I purchased home to pro upgrade from Microsoft store. Upgrade install gets to 99% then fails with error code 0xc004f050. According to Microsoft this is an activation error. My account shows the purchase. I have done; wsreset.exe, ran activation trouble shooter, ran update...
  6. Upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft Store

Upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft Store: Hi, I brought the Windows 10 Pro off the Microsoft store, after buying to upgrade nothing happened, after restart my Windows now tells me it is no longer activated and to go to activate Windows, troubleshooting does nothing, signing in and out does nothing, restarting again...
  7. Windows 10 Pro upgrade from home... Via Microsoft Store

Windows 10 Pro upgrade from home... Via Microsoft Store: I downloaded Win 10 pro from Microsoft Store ... Got help to instore.... But day or so after I lost a drive and must have put my computer back to Windows Home..... How can I get back to Windows 10 Pro.......
  8. No option in Microsoft Store to upgrade from home to pro

No option in Microsoft Store to upgrade from home to pro: I literally just got my dell inspiron today and I have spent the entire day trying to follow steps to upgrade the home OS to pro. There is no option to upgrade it. I have reinstalled the OS twice and I'm really getting tired of the tutorials and forums online not helping. I...
  9. Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Microsoft Store

Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Microsoft Store: Got a new laptop that comes with Windows 10 Home(activated). I just bought the upgrade for Windows 10 Pro. After installation, the version that i have now is Windows 10 Enterprise instead. It's not activated and I can't even activate it nor run the troubleshooter....
  10. Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Windows 10 Home from Microsoft Store fails ...

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Windows 10 Home from Microsoft Store fails ...: Hello, I am trying to upgrade/activate Windows 10 Pro that I purchased through the Microsoft Store for my Acer Aspire Laptop that had come with Windows 10 Home OEM installed. I am able to download the files and Windows performs the upgrade after a couple of minutes and a...