Windows 10: Trying to upgrade my sister's computer. (With a bugged product key)

Discus and support Trying to upgrade my sister's computer. (With a bugged product key) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I found the weird "UpgradeWindowsApp" and I copied it on my USB flash drive and I will put to my sister's somehow unupgradable computer. I think it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Windows 10 fan, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Trying to upgrade my sister's computer. (With a bugged product key)

So I found the weird "UpgradeWindowsApp" and I copied it on my USB flash drive and I will put to my sister's somehow unupgradable computer. I think it won't work because of the product key...

:)

Windows 10 fan, Sep 29, 2019
  2. EliSherer Win User

Cannot upgrade to Windows 10 - Unique Product Key situation

No... let me try again.

• Old computer is running Win7 Pro (SP1) with a Product key I have from a few years ago. The Product is activated already, but I do NOT use this computer at this point, so I didn't worry about using the Product key when moving to the new computer (see below).
    • New computer is running Win10 Pro, with data and OS migrated from the Old computer, (same Product key as above), then Upgraded to Win10 (without getting a new Product Key).
    What I am trying to do now...

• I want to upgrade the OLD computer (Win7 Pro) to Windows 10... using a new Product Key I just purchased.
    • I have tried to do this internally, and also using the ISO burned to a thumb drive. But it does not want to work.
    • Steps:
      • Start from USB drive.
      • Enter New Product Key (or click "I don't have one").
      • Install initiates and then tells me to restart from Windows and then open the installer again to continue.
        • At this point, I actually need to Quit the installation to restart the machine.
      • When restarted, I go to the USB drive and restart/resume the installation process.
      • I have tried to download and not to download updates, but when the installation fails, I see the message, "Something happened" and "Setup has failed to validate the product key".
      • NOTE This happens if I enter the NEW Windows 10 Product Key, or if I skip that step (which I assume means that it will use the old Windows 7 Key for the upgrade).

EliSherer, Sep 29, 2019
  3. Kamryn Win User
    Two Computers Activated With The Same Product Key

I upgraded mine from Windows 10 Home, to Windows 10 Pro. Windows was oringally installed as fresh on both computers.

Bother computers had their own product key.
    I have two Windows 7 Ultimate key, which I used to upgrade my Windows 10.

Yesterday, while working on my Sister's and her husband's computer, I decided to give them an upgrade, and chose the Windows 7 Ultimate one, to see what'll happen. It worked.

Weird thing is, the product key I used, is changed (not the same as the one I entered), probably becuase there is no Ultimate version of Windows 10.
    A even weirder thing is, both computers have the same product key. My computer was off when the other computer was being activated. When I get home, I expected and activation issue on my computer, but so far none.

I tried to change the Windows 10 product key to another Win10 Pro, but when I use ProduKey, it still shows the same key.

Kamryn, Sep 29, 2019
  4. Trying to upgrade my sister's computer. (With a bugged product key)

Convert a Windows 8pro product key to a Windows 10pro produkt key

Hi Andre,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to Uninstall the license using the following steps.

• Press Windows key + X
    • Click Command Prompt (Admin)
    • At the command prompt, type: slmgr.vbs -upk
    • Press Enter, this will uninstall the product key from the computer.
    Further on, install Windows 8.1 activate the copy with the product key on the new machine. Then again upgrade the same to Windows 10 using Window Update or Media Creation Tool.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Sep 29, 2019
Thema:

Trying to upgrade my sister's computer. (With a bugged product key)

1. Trying to upgrade my sister's computer. (With a bugged product key) - Similar Threads - Trying upgrade sister's

2. Product key transfer and upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product key transfer and upgrade: I've just upgraded my desktop computer and installed a clean version of windows 11. My old system was running windows 10, and I would like to transfer the windows product key to the new system. This is linked to my microsoft account, however, is still under windows 10. The...
  3. Trying to upgrade Digital Licence with Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Trying to upgrade Digital Licence with Product Key: Hi there, I'm having some trouble upgrading my version of windows 10 from home to pro. I purchased a product key in the sales to upgrade the OS, but I didn't realise my system had a digital license attached. The upgrade obviously fails as it's a product key and won't change...
  4. Trying to upgrade my pc on the Windows 10 ( product key problems)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to upgrade my pc on the Windows 10 ( product key problems): submitted by /u/Boni4real [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k80j2r/trying_to_upgrade_my_pc_on_the_windows_10_product/
  5. Finding my computer product key

Finding my computer product key: Hi Administrator I have a problem in activating my windows 10 and it was downloaded and now I am not able to do my works and change things for the security of my computer. I bought this computer as second hand from local dealers. Hope my request will be accepted. With...
  6. Tried to upgrade to Win 10 Pro, but my Product Key did not "take".

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Tried to upgrade to Win 10 Pro, but my Product Key did not "take".: After I bought a digital copy of Win 10 Pro, I did the upgrade as suggested here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12384/windows-10-upgrading-home-to-pro However, my Product Key did not "take". Now I'm stuck with an unactivated copy of Pro, and I can't revert, nor...
  7. So My sister tried to use the computer for school and couldn’t remember my password...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    So My sister tried to use the computer for school and couldn’t remember my password...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/IamtheIinteam [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dvlm34/so_my_sister_tried_to_use_the_computer_for_school/
  8. Activation and Product Key Bugs

Activation and Product Key Bugs: I bought my PC from a local computer store a few months ago, and it was supposed to come preinstalled with Windows 10. Since then, when I go to my settings, it only gives me the option to activate windows; alongside a non-removable watermark at the bottom right of my screen...
  9. Product Key for Digital Upgrade

Product Key for Digital Upgrade: Trying to activate Win 10 Pro (just upgraded from Win 10 Home) to create an admin account. MS says it's in the receipt, but then says elsewhere if it was a digital download, you don't need one and just click on that option. Sorry, not seeing an option to continue withot a...
  10. Product Key/Upgrading help

Product Key/Upgrading help: I built my mom a PC some years back and used Windows 8.1 32-bit on it. She has since upgraded to Windows 10 Home but it is still 32-bit. I need to upgrade it to the 64-bit version. I know I will have to do full system wipe and reinstall but, will I need to buy a new product...