Windows 10: Turn computer on and then force shut down and reboot to actually boot up

Discus and support Turn computer on and then force shut down and reboot to actually boot up in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I'm not sure if this is a Windows issue or a Dell issue, but I think it's the former. I have a Dell laptop that has served me well these last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by A Question I Have, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Turn computer on and then force shut down and reboot to actually boot up

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is a Windows issue or a Dell issue, but I think it's the former. I have a Dell laptop that has served me well these last few years. Lately however, when I turn on the computer, it loads the Dell icon on the screen but nothing happens usually a little circle of dots is spinning and then loads the Windows login screen. The fans will eventually start to spin as the computer gets warm. If I force shutdown the computer and then turn it back on the issue is resolved, and it boots up fine.

The reason I think this might be related to Windows is after I received an update I believe it was an update for the new and improved Microsoft Edge, this issue started to occur. Any ideas on what the issue is and how to fix it?

:)

A Question I Have, Jun 26, 2020
  2. Merliah Win User

Computer is shutting down immediately after turning it on?

This has started to happen recently and I'm worried. It does not happen always but this week it happened more often. Basically when I am turning my computer on, after a beep it's shutting down. With the second time it turns on and it does not list that my computer shut down suddenly, so to get me into safe mode, etc. but it boots normally.

I am not sure what the problem is. I removed an additional small fan I had, since I always had it there in the usb, so I thought it could be causing it, but I removed it. I decided to replace my power adapter, since other times I had problem with that & usually they are heating a lot. I bought a cheaper adapter & still the same. I also noticed that this problem usually happens when I turn on my computer after hours. I tried to turn on/turn off my computer between minutes and it did not happen.

Could it be dust? The CPU? I just hope there isn't any problem with the motherboard.

Merliah, Jun 26, 2020
  3. Computer shutting down and rebooting on its own.

When I boot up my computer from fully powered down, my computer shuts off then turns back on. This only happens from a fully powered down state, not during a restart. So here is what happens: I hit the power button, the computer boots up with LEDs and fans (no POST screen yet) and after about 8 seconds, it shuts down. Then, after about 5 seconds, on its own accord, it turns back on again and boots normally to Windows. This happens without fail every time.

Any idea on what's going on here? *Confused Turn computer on and then force shut down and reboot to actually boot up :confused:

ripsky4501, Jun 26, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

Turn computer on and then force shut down and reboot to actually boot up

Computer shutting down and rebooting on its own.

this is normal. its a 'failed overclock' protection mechanism. system powers up at default settings then reboots into your BIOS settings, so that if your settings failed to launch it'd reboot yet again and be all "OC fail! reset to defaults!"
    edit: i also have the idea it might be related to multiplier control floating around in my head, but that idea came from socket 775 days, when board makers 'hacked' speedstep to allow them multiplier control (in a downwards direction only)

seen it on many, many asus and gigabyte intel systems... surprised no one else here was aware of it?

Mussels, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

Turn computer on and then force shut down and reboot to actually boot up

1. Turn computer on and then force shut down and reboot to actually boot up - Similar Threads - Turn computer force

2. PC reboots when pressing shut down button start -> shut down instead of actual shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC reboots when pressing shut down button start -> shut down instead of actual shut down: Hi.I got a weird bug with my PC recently. When I shut down the PC by pressing start -> shut down, the screen goes black for a few seconds like it's shutting down, and then I see a lock screen and login again. Reboot works as expected. If run command `shutdown /s` - the PC...
  3. PC reboots when pressing shut down button start -> shut down instead of actual shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC reboots when pressing shut down button start -> shut down instead of actual shut down: Hi.I got a weird bug with my PC recently. When I shut down the PC by pressing start -> shut down, the screen goes black for a few seconds like it's shutting down, and then I see a lock screen and login again. Reboot works as expected. If run command `shutdown /s` - the PC...
  4. After shutting down computer it doesn't turn on unless I force shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After shutting down computer it doesn't turn on unless I force shutdown: I have been mounting a PC and I am having some problems I don't know how to fix:When I turn it off it works good, but when I try to turn it on it doesn't show anything and it doesn't turns on. I have to foce shut down pressing the power button and then the computer starts...
  5. After shutting down computer it doesn't turn on unless I force shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After shutting down computer it doesn't turn on unless I force shutdown: I have been mounting a PC and I am having some problems I don't know how to fix:When I turn it off it works good, but when I try to turn it on it doesn't show anything and it doesn't turns on. I have to foce shut down pressing the power button and then the computer starts...
  6. Actually shut down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Actually shut down: is there any way to make it so windows actually shuts down when you shut it down with out having to press alt f4 on the desktop it might be a minor thing but i am kind of sick of windows i had open previously, reopening when i start the computer up next time. these arent...
  7. Computer screens randomly freezing, have to force shut down and reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer screens randomly freezing, have to force shut down and reboot: Hi. First of all I'd like to apologize if I'm vague or unclear at any point. English isn't my first language but I will attempt to explain everything as good as I can. Windows Version Number: 1903 (OS Build 18362.418) For a few months now my computer has been randomly fully...
  8. Laptop freezes and has to be forced shut down and rebooted.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop freezes and has to be forced shut down and rebooted.: Hello, I have had this problem since day one with windows 10 and its about to force me back to windows 7. Random times when working on my laptop it will just freeze. If there is something playing be it music or youtube it will make a god awful noise through the speakers....
  9. Computer Repeatedly Shuts Down and then Reboots

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Repeatedly Shuts Down and then Reboots: I receive the general error code: 0xc0000017 I get other error comments: IQRL Not Less or Equal System Thread Exception not Handled PFN List Corrupt Boot mgr Image is Corrupt Memory Management Fault in Non-Paged Area Unexpected Store Exception Kmode Exception Not...
  10. Computer shuts down on its own, then boots back up

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down on its own, then boots back up: This issue has only started today. I recently got a new motherboard, new CPU, and new memory. Everything had been working absolutely perfectly until today. While playing a game (SC2) my computer will abruptly shut down on its own, then re-boot after a few seconds. All the LED...