Windows 10: Turn Num Lock permanently on

Discus and support Turn Num Lock permanently on in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I'm typing, I make heavy use of the number pad, and very often use the / key. Because of this, I frequently hit the Num Lock key by mistake, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Michael Pope, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Turn Num Lock permanently on

When I'm typing, I make heavy use of the number pad, and very often use the / key. Because of this, I frequently hit the Num Lock key by mistake, and then find myself in an unfamiliar part of the document because I hit Pg Down or Pg Up when trying to type in a number. Is there a way to permanently disable this key? I never use the number pad for anything but numbers, and have no reason to ever turn Num Lock off, so what I am looking for is a way to keep it on, but disable the key so that pressing it no longer toggles between On and Off.

Does anyone know a way to do this?

:)

Michael Pope, Nov 19, 2019
  2. JB_920 Win User

Windows10 Enable Num Lock when turns ons

Hi Anil,

Thank you for your reply, however I have not had any success.

I had num locked enabled then I followed the steps exactly... unchecked
    Turn on fast startup (recommended)
    and saved the changes. I restarted the computer and num lock is still disabled on start up.

I have also tried another forum suggested method: log in screen press num lock key to enable and then restarting from log in screen. This also did not work. Is it something to do with windows 10??

Thanks

JB_920, Nov 19, 2019
  3. Have num lock turned off when computer boots

The num lock was turned on with the latest unscheduled Windows 10 update. I was puzzled that my password didn't work until I noticed the light was
    on.

How do I change the settings so the num lock, scroll lock, and caps lock settings are
    off on bootup? Also how do I permanently disable the useless num lock, scroll lock, and caps lock keys?

RichardTonsing, Nov 19, 2019
  4. Turn Num Lock permanently on

Num lock keeps turning off

Hi,

Was the Num Lock option working fine before? Aside from your observation that it turns off whenever you open Excel, were there any updates performed, or any changes made on the computer prior to this issue?

In the meantime, let's check out if the mouse keys are turned off and see if this address the problem. Follow the steps below:

• Click the Start key, select Settings.
    • Click Ease of Access, then Mouse.
    • Toggle Off Mouse keys.

Update us with the outcome.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Nov 19, 2019
Thema:

Turn Num Lock permanently on

1. Turn Num Lock permanently on - Similar Threads - Turn Num Lock

2. how to permanently disable Num lock?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to permanently disable Num lock?: Hi, I have an acer laptop, with a row of numbers above the letters, and also, if I engage num lock there is number pad type layout on the right-hand side of the letters on the keyboard. for my bookkeeping I need easy access to numbers and letters simultaneously. I have...
  3. how to permanently disable Num lock?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to permanently disable Num lock?: Hi, I have an acer laptop, with a row of numbers above the letters, and also, if I engage num lock there is number pad type layout on the right-hand side of the letters on the keyboard. for my bookkeeping I need easy access to numbers and letters simultaneously. I have...
  4. how to permanently disable Num lock?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. num lock permanently on

in Windows 10 Customization
    num lock permanently on: I would like Num Lock to be permanently ON. Even when I accidently hit the Num Lock key I would like it to stay on. Is there a way to enable this? ie. I don't want the Num Lock key do anything at all. I want to ALWAYS use the number pad for numbers. Never for arrows etc....
  6. num lock

in Windows 10 Customization
    num lock: My num lock and the number keys on the far right of the keyboard do not work while on the internet. They work normally if not. I can not use the keys to include them in an email. Need some help. By the way the number keys on the top of the keyboard work in both formats....
  7. Num lock keeps turning off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Num lock keeps turning off: My Num Lock keeps turning off every time I turn PC on from Lock/Sleep/Hibernate/Restart/Start. This is really annoying. I've looked everywhere with no success. I have Acer Predator 15....
  8. Num Lock

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Num Lock: When I restart my computer the num lock is disabled. How do I keep it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_8/num-lock/e59ee399-5c71-4de8-8f07-44744b9ee600
  9. Num lock

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Num lock: How do I get NUM LOCK OFF recognized for numbers to print? Characters will not register. 61221
  10. Turning off Scroll Lock / Num Lock flashing

in Windows 10 Support
    Turning off Scroll Lock / Num Lock flashing: Apparently Windows 10, and I don't know for how long before that, has had a feature that when you change Scroll Lock / Num Lock key settings there is a notification that flashes on the screen. I have never used these keys and so have never noticed this annoyance before....