Windows 10: Turn off Automatic defragmentation in Windows 10 - for real

Discus and support Turn off Automatic defragmentation in Windows 10 - for real in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I noticed that everytime my Windows 10 PC has been idle for 5 minutes, the hard drive starts a furious continuous activity - which is really... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by moutalino, Dec 30, 2019.

1. moutalino Win User

Turn off Automatic defragmentation in Windows 10 - for real

Hello,

I noticed that everytime my Windows 10 PC has been idle for 5 minutes, the hard drive starts a furious continuous activity - which is really loud and annoying.

I found several threads on the subject, pointing out that the problem is linked to Windows 10 auto defrag being executed.

Task Manager sorted by Hard Drive use confirms this sorry pics are in German:

Turn off Automatic defragmentation in Windows 10 - for real f1efa09b-a820-4ba8-bc24-120716579db8?upload=true.jpg

As soon as I move the mouse, the activity stops and the defrag service gets very low in hard drive use.

I followed the instructions in the threads.

I deactivated scheduled execution of "Defragment and optimize drives":

Turn off Automatic defragmentation in Windows 10 - for real 6018b8f8-358f-4cd0-9750-f003edcea90c?upload=true.jpg

Consequently the Task Scheduler entry for Defrag is turned off:

Turn off Automatic defragmentation in Windows 10 - for real b7dea175-6bfe-4450-bd21-71c661f8e7ea?upload=true.jpg

Deaktiviert = deactivated

Yet defrag still gets executed...

Next step I executed this:

schtasks /Delete /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Defrag\ScheduledDefrag" /F

in CMD with admin rights.

As a result, the Task Scheduler entry for Defrag is simply suppressed:

Turn off Automatic defragmentation in Windows 10 - for real 4590c63f-dda7-436d-a141-aac3eba5e690?upload=true.jpg

no entry left

Yet defrag still gets executed...

I restarted the computer of course several times.

Defrag "Run on a schedule" is turned off.

The Defrag entry in Task Scheduler has been removed.

When I start the computer and look up Windows Services in the Task Manager, the "Diensthost: Datenträgerdefragmentierung" Servicehost: harddrive defrag is not in the list which is what I want.

I live my PC idle for 5 minutes and...the hard drive starts working like crazy and the "Diensthost: Datenträgerdefragmentierung" appears top of the list with a sub-task "Laufwerke optimieren" optimize harddrives:

Turn off Automatic defragmentation in Windows 10 - for real 9efd5788-b020-4812-83bc-d4ac8fbba98d?upload=true.jpg

I can kill this task "Laufwerke optimieren" in the task manager. It disappears from the list.

And as soon as my PC has been idle for 5 minutes it comes back.

So clearly: I did everything I found to turn auto defrag off and yet it still runs!

for nothing by the way: the defrag analyze tells me my hard-drive is 0% fragmented

Please help. How can I deactivate auto defrag for real?

Thank you

:)

moutalino, Dec 30, 2019

2. driver optimizer automatic defragmenter

Does the defragmenter automatically turn on my computer when the power is turned off?

Richard C1001, Dec 30, 2019
  3. John Zab Win User
    defragmentation

Hi Richard,

We have a couple of workarounds for defragmentation issues, try the following:

Method 1: Check your hard disk for errors in Windows 10.

• Press Windows key+X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the window that opens enter chkdsk /f.
    Method 2:
    Run System File Checker (SFC)

Method 3: Check if Disk Defragmenter service is running properly.

This service is required for performing disk defragmentation, and if it’s disable, you won’t be able to run a defragmentation tool.

• Search for services.msc.
    • Make sure that Disk Defragmenter service is set to
      manual
    • Also, make sure that following services are set to Automatic:

Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

DCOM Server Process Launcher.

RPC Endpoint Mapper.
    Let us know how it goes.

John Zab, Dec 30, 2019
  4. Allan Mej Win User

Defragmentation not working, and new update causing crashes

Hi,

It is possible that Disk Defragmenter service has been disabled or not properly running on your PC, causing defragmentation issues. To troubleshoot this, kindly try these following methods:

Run System File Checker

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. To do so, follow these steps:

• Right-click the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Run this command: SFC /scannow
    • This may take several minutes to finish. If Command Prompt shows Verification 100% complete, close the command prompt and check if your issue has been fixed.

Check Disk Defragmenter service

Disk Defragmenter service is required to perform disk defragmentation. If Disk Defragmenter service and other services that is required to perform disk defragmentation is disabled, you may encounter issues doing defragmentation. To troubleshoot this, follow
    these steps:

• In the search box, search and open Services.
    • Find Disk Defragmenter service, right-click it, and select Properties.
    • Make sure that Disk Defragmenter service Startup type is set to Manual.
    • Go back to the Services window and make sure that the Startup type of these services is set to Automatic:
      • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
      • DCOM Server Process Launcher
      • RPC Endpoint Mapper

Regarding your issue with the Windows Update, kindly answer these following questions for us to assist:

• What is the update that you are trying to install (KB16XXXX)?
    • What are the specifications of your PC?
    • Do you receive any error messages when encountering a system crash?

We'll be looking forward for your response.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Dec 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn off Automatic defragmentation in Windows 10 - for real - Similar Threads - Turn off Automatic

2. Automatic disk defragmentation is off but it still runs on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic disk defragmentation is off but it still runs on Windows 11: I have a SSD in my laptop and it came with Win 11 preinstalled. Since I bought the laptop a few months ago I have noticed that disk defragmenter runs automatically about every week. I have checked the disk properties and the defragmenter is not scheduled to run ever.I cannot...
  3. Automatic disk defragmentation is off but it still runs on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic disk defragmentation is off but it still runs on Windows 11: I have a SSD in my laptop and it came with Win 11 preinstalled. Since I bought the laptop a few months ago I have noticed that disk defragmenter runs automatically about every week. I have checked the disk properties and the defragmenter is not scheduled to run ever.I cannot...
  4. Windows 10 turns off and on automatically. Shows automatic repair screen but turns off...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 turns off and on automatically. Shows automatic repair screen but turns off...: My Windows 10 lenovo turns off and on automatically. First it shows 'preparing automatic repair' but turns off again before anything comes up. A few times Windows repair blue screen comes up but before I can pick any option it turns off again. At times i also manage to get...
  5. I CAN'T TURN OFF DEFRAGMENTATION/OPTIMIZATION

in Windows 10 Customization
    I CAN'T TURN OFF DEFRAGMENTATION/OPTIMIZATION: I've asked more than once. So far, I've made a registry change that was supposed to turn off Automatic Maintenance. Actually first, I turned off automatic optimization in Optimize Drives it remains off. Even so, the C drive was defragmented twice, automatically. I asked...
  6. Turn Off Drive Defragmentation/Optimization, Windows 10 --- FOLLOW UP

Turn Off Drive Defragmentation/Optimization, Windows 10 --- FOLLOW UP: I need to turn completely turn off drive defrag/optimization. In "Optimize Drive" I did turn off scheduled optimization. Even so, optimization/defragmentation WAS performed, anyway. I had assumed this is due to "Automatic Maintenance", and a search showed me how to make a...
  7. Turn Off Drive Optimization/Defragmentation

Turn Off Drive Optimization/Defragmentation: I need to turn completely turn off drive optimization. In "Optimize Drive" I did turn off scheduled optimization. Even so, optimization/defragmentation WAS performed, anyway. I have assumed this is due to "Automatic Maintenance", and a search showed me how to make a...
  8. My Windows 10 real time protection will no turn off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My Windows 10 real time protection will no turn off: [ATTACH] Please help me out if u can https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/my-windows-10-real-time-protection-will-no-turn/e13c0c65-8fcb-4096-b170-7924e0d9a9bb
  9. Real-time protection, turn off and stay off?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Real-time protection, turn off and stay off?: Hi How do I turn Real-Time Protection OFF so it will stay off, also after a reboot? Windows 10 Pro, version 1803, build 17134.228...
  10. Turn off automatic Windows 10 Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Turn off automatic Windows 10 Updates: Hello. To turn off automatic updates in Windows 10, we basically need to prevent the Windows Update service from running on startup. This can be done by going to Start Menu>type 'Services'>look for a service called 'Windows Update' and double click on it>if it's already...