Windows 10: "Turn off disk after" resets from power plan to default after every Windows update.

Discus and support "Turn off disk after" resets from power plan to default after every Windows update. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This is a custom built PC with Samsung 860 Evo SSD When i first booted my PC after finish building it I notice after idling my PC would crash. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Tectonic_Break, Feb 14, 2019.

1. "Turn off disk after" resets from power plan to default after every Windows update.

This is a custom built PC with Samsung 860 Evo SSD

When i first booted my PC after finish building it I notice after idling my PC would crash. I have found the issue to be power management plan trying to turn off my hard disk after 10mins causing my PC to crash because it isn't a HDD it is a SSD.

No problem I set my power plan to turn off hard disk after "never"

Now problem comes with regular windows updates; I found that after every windows update I have to go to power management to re toggle the "never" option, otherwise windows will try to turn off my SSD causing my PC to crash. To clarify windows update will set my power plan to turn off disk after "0" seconds; I understand that 0 = null/never in the codes probably, but if i just leave it like that after fresh reboot from update it will hang my SSD and crash.

I HAVE to go to power plan everytime after an update set it to never, then i will have no problem using my PC after.

It isn't a problem if windows update weren't as often, but now with regular updates this is VERY annoying to deal with.

Has anyone encountered this issue? Trust me I google many many times no results...

***Title Modified Original: Window's update resetting power management plan.***

:)

Tectonic_Break, Feb 14, 2019
  2. Geethu B Win User

Power plans automatically changing

Hi Jonah,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with power plans.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

This issue could have occurred due to incorrect Power settings. Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

Let’s run the power troubleshooter and check if that helps.

a. Press Windows key on the keyboard.

b. In the search box, type Troubleshooting and press
    Enter.

c. Click on ‘System and Security’ and click on ‘Power’ click on next to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to
    restore the power plans to default and check if it helps.

Step 1: Reset and restore the power plans to default:

• Right-click on
      Start button
      and click on Command Prompt (Admin).

• In the command prompt, type powercfg –restoredefaultschemes
      and hit Enter.

• Exit command prompt.
    Note: This would reset the power plan settings to default. Any customized power plans are would be removed.

Step 2:

Once the power plan is reset to default, you may create a
    new power plan
    and customize the same according to your needs.

Refer to the link:

Power plans: Frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/power-plans-faq

Note: Applies to Windows 10.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Feb 14, 2019
  3. tracit99 Win User
    Reset and Restore Power Plans to Default Settings in Windows 10

Hey Shawn,

I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 16232 and I have only one power plan. The High Performance and Power Saver plans are not shown.

"Turn off disk after" resets  from power plan to default after every Windows update. [​IMG]

I ran powercfg -restoredefaultschemes and then powercfg -list and this is what is shown.

"Turn off disk after" resets  from power plan to default after every Windows update. [​IMG]

I have exported both High Performance and Power Saver plans from another Windows 10 install and have imported them into this build 16232, but they still refuse to show up in power options. Any ideas?

tracit99, Feb 14, 2019
  4. John Fer Win User

"Turn off disk after" resets from power plan to default after every Windows update.

Power plan?

Upon checking, it seems that there's nothing wrong with your system. It is usual that you have to double-click your mouse before your monitor wakes up.

For the meantime, we suggest changing the power plan by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + S.
    • Type in Power Settings.
    • On the pop-up window, choose Additional power settings.
    • Select High performance.

After changing the power plan, we suggest that you monitor the changes made and check if that will work for you.

Get back to us if you need further help.

John Fer, Feb 14, 2019
Thema:

"Turn off disk after" resets from power plan to default after every Windows update.

1. "Turn off disk after" resets from power plan to default after every Windows update. - Similar Threads - Turn off disk

2. Monitor turns on immediately after power plan and can not keep being turned off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor turns on immediately after power plan and can not keep being turned off: I have pc running on windows 11 but the problem is not related to windows 11, because since the first day I assembled the pc, the problem have been existed. The details are as following: 1. The display is set to turn off after 2 minutes in power plan balanced mode and system...
  3. Monitor turns on immediately after power plan and can not keep being turned off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor turns on immediately after power plan and can not keep being turned off: I have pc running on windows 11 but the problem is not related to windows 11, because since the first day I assembled the pc, the problem have been existed. The details are as following: 1. The display is set to turn off after 2 minutes in power plan balanced mode and system...
  4. Windows is resetting the defaults apps after every login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is resetting the defaults apps after every login: Hi, I'm having some issues with the Windows default applications. We have several computers that are having their default applications reset upon logging out and in. Specifically, we are forced to set Adobe Reader as the default app fairly often and it only stays for the...
  5. Windows is resetting the defaults apps after every login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows is resetting the defaults apps after every login: Hi, I'm having some issues with the Windows default applications. We have several computers that are having their default applications reset upon logging out and in. Specifically, we are forced to set Adobe Reader as the default app fairly often and it only stays for the...
  6. Windows 10 - Power plans missing after trying every "fix"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 - Power plans missing after trying every "fix": Hi I have been missing power options for a long time and only have "Balanced" available I have tried every "fix" found in this post: https://appuals.com/how-to-restore-missing-power-plan-options-on-windows-10/ None of them have worked. [ATTACH] I am missing a lot of...
  7. Default apps reset after every reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Default apps reset after every reboot: So out of the Blue, I noticed that Firefox wasn't my default browser anymore (it started asking about it again), so I went into the settings and set everything again (not just the browser, every default app) but after a reboot, Firefox asked me again so it clearly doesn't...
  8. No sound through monitor speakers after monitor turns off by power plan setting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No sound through monitor speakers after monitor turns off by power plan setting: I had a one monitor setup with power plan setting to turn off monitor after 5 mins of inactivity. The monitor is a Iiyama G-Master Silver Crow GB2730QSU-B1 connected to my GPU via Display port. The sound would be going on to the monitor speakers via DP. GPU is a MSI Geforce...
  9. Reset and Restore Power Plans to Default Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset and Restore Power Plans to Default Settings in Windows 10: How to: Reset and Restore Power Plans to Default Settings in Windows 10 How to Reset and Restore Power Plans to Default Settings in Windows 10 A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manages how computers use and conserve power. A power plan is...
  10. Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove 'Turn off hard disk after' from Power Options in Windows 10 The NVMe. Having your HDDs automatically turned off after being idle can help save energy and extend a PC's...