Windows 10: Turn Off Drive Optimization/Defragmentation

Discus and support Turn Off Drive Optimization/Defragmentation in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I need to turn completely turn off drive optimization. In "Optimize Drive" I did turn off scheduled optimization. Even so,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JosephHW, Mar 3, 2020.

1. JosephHW Win User

Turn Off Drive Optimization/Defragmentation

I need to turn completely turn off drive optimization. In "Optimize Drive" I did turn off scheduled optimization. Even so, optimization/defragmentation WAS performed, anyway. I have assumed this is due to "Automatic Maintenance", and a search showed me how to make a registry change, stopping this function. I guess the problem is solved, except I'm not satisfied, as this also turns off some valuable, routine maintenance/update functions. Is there a way to permanently stoponly the optimize/defragment process?

:)

JosephHW, Mar 3, 2020

2. Hard Drive Optimization/Defragmentation

Hello, all. I'm having an issue where I can't defragment/optimize my hard drive. I am able to successfully initiate the defragementation/optimization process from the built-in defragmenter program, but when it finishes I still see the "Needs Optimization"
    message, as if nothing happened. What's going on?

ChristianBethel, Mar 3, 2020
  3. Disk optimization and defragmentation

Hi,

It is basically the same thing.

Microsoft decided to change the name.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/3064207/speed-up-your-computer

Defragment your hard disk

One of the best ways to help improve your device’s performance is
    by optimizing the hard drive
    . Optimize Drives, previously known as Disk Defragmenter, is a Windows feature that helps optimize different types of drives. The feature runs automatically on a weekly schedule, but you can
    also run Optimize Drives manually

Cheers.

Bill Smithers, Mar 3, 2020
  4. Turn Off Drive Optimization/Defragmentation

Disk optimization and defragmentation

Is disk optimization and defragmentation the same thing? And if not what is the difference?

KaylaStonewulf, Mar 3, 2020
Thema:

Turn Off Drive Optimization/Defragmentation

1. Turn Off Drive Optimization/Defragmentation - Similar Threads - Turn Off Drive

2. Delivery Optimization will not turn off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delivery Optimization will not turn off: Hi, I've disabled Delivery Optimization from the settings but it wont turn off, the service is still taking up all of my internet 10mbps worth and making it unusable.Please help !...
  3. Delivery Optimization will not turn off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delivery Optimization will not turn off: Hi, I've disabled Delivery Optimization from the settings but it wont turn off, the service is still taking up all of my internet 10mbps worth and making it unusable.Please help !...
  4. Disabling SSD Scheduled optimization Defragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disabling SSD Scheduled optimization Defragmentation: I've read that one of the hints to increase the SSD's lifespan and to prevent losing data is through: Optimize Drives / Scheduled optimization / Off Disable. Is that true? Can disabling the scheduled optimization frequency e.g. weekly prevent early damage of SSD? What...
  5. I CAN'T TURN OFF DEFRAGMENTATION/OPTIMIZATION

in Windows 10 Customization
    I CAN'T TURN OFF DEFRAGMENTATION/OPTIMIZATION: I've asked more than once. So far, I've made a registry change that was supposed to turn off Automatic Maintenance. Actually first, I turned off automatic optimization in Optimize Drives it remains off. Even so, the C drive was defragmented twice, automatically. I asked...
  6. Turn Off Drive Defragmentation/Optimization, Windows 10 --- FOLLOW UP

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turn Off Drive Defragmentation/Optimization, Windows 10 --- FOLLOW UP: I need to turn completely turn off drive defrag/optimization. In "Optimize Drive" I did turn off scheduled optimization. Even so, optimization/defragmentation WAS performed, anyway. I had assumed this is due to "Automatic Maintenance", and a search showed me how to make a...
  7. Hard Drive Optimization/Defragmentation

Hard Drive Optimization/Defragmentation: Hello, all. I'm having an issue where I can't defragment/optimize my hard drive. I am able to successfully initiate the defragementation/optimization process from the built-in defragmenter program, but when it finishes I still see the "Needs Optimization" message, as if...
  8. Disk Optimization Turns Off...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Optimization Turns Off...: I usually have Disk Optimization (Defrag) set to run automatically on a daily basis as I have a couple of data backup drives that are getting rather full (around 60%). It appears that after every Auto Updated CU, the auto setting gets turned off and I have to go through...
  9. Cleaning, optimization, Defragmentation, performance of the laptop

Cleaning, optimization, Defragmentation, performance of the laptop: Hello, Dear madam/Sir, I ask you kindly to help me, and me to do a thorough cleaning, optimization, Defragmentation, the performance of the operating system of the laptop. Mention that stand between 1-2 minutes to open a page on Google and partitions in my document. Wait...
  10. Cleaning, optimization, Defragmentation, performance of the laptop

Cleaning, optimization, Defragmentation, performance of the laptop: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, kindly help me and me to do cleaning, optimization, defragmentation, system operating performance of the laptop. Mention that stand between 1-2 minutes to open a page on Google and partitions in My document. Wait for response! A great day!...