Windows 10: Turn Off Hard Disk After Setting Changes to 0 Minutes By Itself

Discus and support Turn Off Hard Disk After Setting Changes to 0 Minutes By Itself in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I've found that on both of my pc's (1 desktop and 1 laptop) that the Turn Off Hard Disk After "x" minutes setting changes to 0 or never, usually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mcd73165, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Mcd73165 Win User

Turn Off Hard Disk After Setting Changes to 0 Minutes By Itself

Hi. I've found that on both of my pc's (1 desktop and 1 laptop) that the Turn Off Hard Disk After "x" minutes setting changes to 0 or never, usually after a reboot. The Default for my desktop is 15 minutes and for the laptop it's 3 minutes on battery power and 15 minutes plugged in. I'm running Windows 10 Home v 1903 on both pc's. This has been happening for a while now. I always check it before making a Macrium Reflect backup and correct it to the default settings if needed. Has anyone else noticed this behavior? The setting can be found under PC settings/ System/Power and sleep/ Additional power settings/ Change when the computer sleeps/ Change advanced power settings. It will be the 1st item shown when the Power Options Advanced settings window opens. Thanks in advanced for any replies.
    Mark

:)

Mcd73165, Nov 2, 2019
  2. mingle Win User

Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle in Windows 10  

Hi,

I have an issue on a Windows 10 desktop with a Seagate ST1000LX015 hybrid hard drive, as my secondary drive.

My primary drive is a 120GB SSD, which is unaffected.

The drive seems to go into standby mode after about 10 minutes.

I've tried changing the settings in the the power options/advanced settings with no luck - I tried setting the "Turn Off Hard Disk" to "0", "600" and "999". It made no difference.

Any suggestions?

Mike.

mingle, Nov 2, 2019
  3. mrclose Win User
    Turning Off Hard Disk

If I set my power options to:
    Turn off Hard Disk
    (after x amount of minutes)

Turn off Moniter
    (also after so many minutes)

What is the difference between that and setting the pc to sleep mode?

I ask because a number of times, coming out of sleep ... it doesn't!

The HD will click and then nothing!
    Takes a hard shutdown and reboot to get running again!

Believe me, I've done every work-a-round, (for the last six months) and tried every suggestion in trying to fix this headache and nothing has worked!

Searching, this appears to be a problem with Windows 10 that a lot of folks have been having.
    Some have solved the problem while others have not.

Seems that no one solution is a fix for everyone.

I've disabled hybrid and hibernate using only sleep.
    Re-enabled hibernate with sleep disabled ... but the problem still exists!

And yes, I've run every chk disk and troubleshooter that I can find and ... nothing!

I figure that allowing the disk to go into idle and having the monitor shut down is the only step that I have left?

My concern is .. I don't want to shut down the pc every time I have something else that I need to do but ... I also don't want to risk something like a cooling fan going bad and my hard disk burning up when I'm not around!

Thanks in advance everyone!!

This is a snapshot of my system ...

Turn Off Hard Disk After Setting Changes to 0 Minutes By Itself SYSTEM-SPECS.jpg

mrclose, Nov 2, 2019
  4. Turn Off Hard Disk After Setting Changes to 0 Minutes By Itself

Disk Active time 100% Disk transfer rate 0

I would like to know the power settings of your hard disk. We need to make sure that your hard disk is not set to turn off after a specific amount of time.

• Select the Start button.
    • Type Edit power plan and then hit Enter.
    • Click Change advanced power settings.
    • Go to Hard disk > Turn off hard disk after and make sure that is set to
      Never.

We're looking forward to your response.

Devlin Sco, Nov 2, 2019
Thema:

Turn Off Hard Disk After Setting Changes to 0 Minutes By Itself

1. Turn Off Hard Disk After Setting Changes to 0 Minutes By Itself - Similar Threads - Turn Off Hard

2. Microsoft Clock Focus Timer turning itself off after a few minutes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Clock Focus Timer turning itself off after a few minutes.: Been having an issue in the Clock app with the Focus Timer shutting itself off. I’ll set the timer, and about 5 minutes later it will revert back to the timer set screen. Normal timers work fine—it’s only the Focus timer. I’ve tried it on both my PC specs below and my Surface...
  3. Turn off Hard Drive after setting for SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Turn off Hard Drive after setting for SSD: What should be my power/sleep settings to preserve life of my SSD, I have already turned off hibernate using elevated cmd. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-hard-drive-after-setting-for-ssd/c111d20a-1c3d-4116-9c9e-249a2db3063e
  4. Turning off the display changes by itself!

Turning off the display changes by itself!: Hello I set turn off the display after 10 minutes But it changes from itself and becomes an hour! This is very annoying How can I stop time changes?...
  5. My computer turns itself off after 20 minutes.

My computer turns itself off after 20 minutes.: My computer turns it's self off after 20 minutes. I have gone to settings and changed the shut down times to never but it still is doing it. I've also told it to never go to sleep. It's driving me crazy....
  6. Lenovo laptop turning itself off after exactly 3 minutes.

Lenovo laptop turning itself off after exactly 3 minutes.: Hello, I have recently updated my laptop to the newest version of Windows. Since i updated it, if i leave it idle for 3 minutes, it automatically shuts itself off completely, however all apps remain running. I checked every power saving function, all of them are turned...
  7. "Turn off hard disk after..." setting in relation to sleep timer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Turn off hard disk after..." setting in relation to sleep timer: How do these values work with eachother? I have my pc go to sleep after 1 hour and my drive to turn off after 2 hours. Should one be higher than the other or the same? submitted by /u/Kelisua [link] [comments]...
  8. Turning Off Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Turning Off Hard Disk: If I set my power options to: Turn off Hard Disk (after x amount of minutes) Turn off Moniter (also after so many minutes) What is the difference between that and setting the pc to sleep mode? I ask because a number of times, coming out of sleep ... it doesn't! The HD...
  9. Settings > System turns off by itself

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings > System turns off by itself: When I select my Settings > System. The page turns off after about 30 seconds which is very frustrating. Can this be easily rectified? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-system-turns-off-by-itself/30821cd2-71ab-4ead-83a9-932e25ca4c8b
  10. Turn Off Hard Disk After not working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Turn Off Hard Disk After not working.: I have a portable USB hdd that is not powering down at idle, a few days ago it was working so not sure what's happened. For testing purposes I have set the Turn Off Hard Disk After to 1 minute. I have tried different USB ports as well. 85377

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn off hard disk after 0

2. windows 10 power setting turn off hard disk reverts to 0

3. turn off hard disk 0

4. turn off hard disk afte 20 mins,
  5. turn off hard disk after 0 mins