Windows 10: Turn off laptop screen while Connected to a TV

Discus and support Turn off laptop screen while Connected to a TV in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm using the Connect option in Windows 10 to connect to my TV and watch videos there. Sometimes I'll have videos on for the entire day, like 10 hours... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Spencer_Nolan_Rice, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Turn off laptop screen while Connected to a TV

I'm using the Connect option in Windows 10 to connect to my TV and watch videos there. Sometimes I'll have videos on for the entire day, like 10 hours straight.

There is no way I have found to turn off the laptop screen. If I enable screensaver, it does the screensaver on the TV as well. The only workaround I have is black wallpaper, no desktop icons, and auto hide taskbar. But it's kind of annoying to have to do that.

Microsoft didn't think this through properly.

submitted by /u/Spencer_Nolan_Rice
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Spencer_Nolan_Rice, Feb 29, 2020
  2. Geethu B Win User

Blank Screen When Connecting Windows 10 Laptop to TV

Hi Antinet,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with connecting laptop to TV.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, let me know what is the make and model of the laptop?

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Not connected properly.

2. Incorrect screen resolution or display settings.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to disconnect the HDMI cable and try to connect it by following these steps:

a. Turn off your computer and position it within easy reach of your TV. Disconnect the monitor, but leave the mouse and keyboard connected.

b. Connect the appropriate video cable from your computer's output to your TV.

c. Turn on your TV and set it to the input that matches the output on your computer. You might need to refer to the user's guide included with your TV for instructions
    on how to do this.

d. Turn on your computer.

e. You should see Windows displayed on your TV. If the screen looks stretched, or part of the screen seems cut off, you probably need to adjust the screen resolution
    in Windows.

f. If you can't see Windows on your TV, you might need to reconnect the computer to your monitor and adjust the screen resolution before you connect to your
    TV.

To adjust screen resolution follow this steps:

a. Right click on the screen and select
    Screen Resolution.

b. Check if the resolution is set to 1024x768.

c. If it is not, then set it to 1024x768.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to change the screen resolution and check if it helps.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Feb 29, 2020
  3. ThundaBG Win User
    Laptop not recognizing TV through HDMI connection

Hello everyone!

First I do apologize if this is not the correct section for this thread.

I've had issues connecting my laptop to TV for the past day. Connection is done through an HDMI cable. Connection was good up until it randomly turned off itself while playing a game. There have been no hardware or software changes whatsoever that would affect it.

TV is SAMSUNG, Model: UE32J4000AW. Laptop info is available in My PC Specs. (laptop is brand new, week or two old)

Here's what I've tried so far:

• 3 different HDMI cables
    • switching between ports on TV
    • tried all projection options on Laptop
    • Disable / Enable both Intel and Nvidia drivers
    • Rollback Intel GPU driver and installed it back to latest version
    • Re-installed Nvidia driver
    • Restarted PC and TV
    • Scan for hardware changes through Device Manager
    • Checked Intel and Nvidia control panels - there were no available options
    • Apparently both HDMI ports on the TV work as I tried them with a tv box.

I think that's all I've tried so far, will add anything else if missed. Open to suggestions.

ThundaBG, Feb 29, 2020
  4. Turn off laptop screen while Connected to a TV

Connecting old laptop (Win10) to TV with VGA. Screen resolution.

Hi Ugne,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

• Is there any option to set the screen sizing options in TV, if there please try performing the changes and check?
    I would suggest you to check if the issue resolves in Safe Mode with networking.

• Remove all the externally connected device.
    • Place the Laptop in Safe mode and then connect the laptop to the TV via VGA cable and check.
    Refer this article to boot to safe mode with networking:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

Turn off laptop screen while Connected to a TV

1. Turn off laptop screen while Connected to a TV - Similar Threads - Turn off laptop

2. Laptop turned off while resetting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop turned off while resetting: I found my old laptop and wanted to do fabric reset, but it ran out of battery at 32% and now it's stuck in infinite loop of restarting saying that it's preparing to automatic repair, then diagnosing, then restarts and it goes again. There is no chance it will work. I can not...
  3. Laptop turned off while resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop turned off while resetting: I found my old laptop and wanted to do fabric reset, but it ran out of battery at 32% and now it's stuck in infinite loop of restarting saying that it's preparing to automatic repair, then diagnosing, then restarts and it goes again. There is no chance it will work. I can not...
  4. Sound mute after tv Screen turn off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound mute after tv Screen turn off: I have a problem with my pc and its make me crazy: My pc specification : Core i5 6gen Ram 8 ddr4 Gtx 750 ti Iam connecting my pc to led hdtv by using hdmi. My problem is when i play a game first time the sound work normaly but when electricity goes off and turn on the tv. the...
  5. Laptop screen not turning off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop screen not turning off: So my laptop has a keyboard shortcut to switch off the display, so the laptop is still running but the display is off.It's worked no problem since I've had the laptop, and I know the Fn key and the F7 key work independently, as are all the Fn functions on the keyboard, except...
  6. Laptop Screen turning off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop Screen turning off: Laptop Screen getting getting turned off at times but laptop is still running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-screen-turning-off/610c6f7b-7da5-4bfe-9dd8-aab64e737812
  7. Laptop Screen turning off

Laptop Screen turning off: Laptop Screen getting getting turned off at times but laptop is still running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-screen-turning-off/056e2ebf-b210-49fa-a34e-63aa8c941734
  8. Laptop screen not turning off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop screen not turning off: Hi, i have a problem with turning my screen off. I have a button for screen off on the computer and it does nothing. I can normally change the brightness of the screen, and use other buttons, just the f7 for turning screen off is not working. For now, i changed the function...
  9. Turn off the laptop screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turn off the laptop screen: Is there a way to turn off the laptop screen (Win10) when connected to an external monitor and leave the laptop on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-the-laptop-screen/a831a9b7-e2a1-4e60-8d2d-6e2f70cb5f67
  10. Laptop screen not turning off.

Laptop screen not turning off.: For some reason, the laptop that I had Windows 8.1 installed in last will not turn off after five or so minutes, like I had set it. This can be a huge drawback, because the laptop might be running on battery power and having the screen constantly on drains it. This usually...