Windows 10: Turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus with Local Group Policy Editor not working

Discus and support Turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus with Local Group Policy Editor not working in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello! I'm trying to change the Turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus policy but every time I changed it, something is overwriting it or the change is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Keylor Villalobos Mayorga, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus with Local Group Policy Editor not working

Hello! I'm trying to change the Turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus policy but every time I changed it, something is overwriting it or the change is not being saved, but with other policies, this doesn't happen. Any idea?

Turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus with Local Group Policy Editor not working 26149358-f140-4bd3-bc79-794f337fd306?upload=true.png

:)

Keylor Villalobos Mayorga, Oct 29, 2020

2. Windows Defender Group Policy Disabeled

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

As you have stated you want to disable the group policy so that you can run windows defender on the computer.

I would like to suggest few troubleshooting steps:

Method 1: Disable group policy from gpedit.msc

• Press Windows key + R.

• Type gpedit.msc and click Ok.(it will open Local Group policy editor)

• Go to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Defender.

• In the right pane of
      Windows Defender
      in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the
      Turn off Windows Defender
      policy to edit it.

• Select (dot) Not Configured or
      Disabled, click/tap on OK,

• When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.
    If the issue still persist you can follow method 2.

Method 2: Disable group policy from registry.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the
    article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

• Press Window Key +R.

• Type regedit and click. (it will open registry)

• Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender

• Right Click on Window Defender to create a new Dword.

• Click on New and Select Dword.

• Type DisableAntiSpyware.

• Right click on DisableAntiSpyware and click on modify.

• Set the value to 0 instead of 1.

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, you can write back to us and we will be glad to assist you further.

Morris Subba, Oct 29, 2020
  3. Windows Defender turned off by group policy

Before you can open Windows Defender, you must remove your current antivirus. With an antivirus installed, Windows Defender will remain turned off (and it should).

Press Win key + R. This will open Run dialog box. Type 'gpedit.msc' in it and press
    Enter.

If Local Group Policy Editor opens up:

Navigate to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates ->Windows Components -> Windows Defender. Double-click on
    Turn off Windows Defender setting and set it to Disabled. Press OK and try to open Windows Defender again. If it doesn't work, in run dialog box (Win key + R), type
    'gpupdate /force' and press Enter.

If Local Group Policy Editor doesn't open:

Follow all steps from this wiki-

Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

Prashant Kumar

PrashantKumar96, Oct 29, 2020
  4. Tevita T Win User

Turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus with Local Group Policy Editor not working

how do i turn on windows defender antivirus

Hi Savin,

Please follow these steps to enable Windows Defender. (For home PC)

1. Open Settings from Start Menu

2. Select Update and Security

3. Make sure you enable Virus & threat protection

If the computer is a company machine you need to edit the local group policy

Turn on Windows Defender

1. In Start, open Control Panel.

2. Open Administrative Tools > Edit group policy. This will open the Local Group Policy Editor in a new window.

3. Open Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender Antivirus. The setting Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus is underneath the folders of other settings.

4. Open Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus and make sure it's set to Disabled or Not configured.

Let me know how it works for you.

Tevita T, Oct 29, 2020
Thema:

Turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus with Local Group Policy Editor not working

1. Turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus with Local Group Policy Editor not working - Similar Threads - Turn off Microsoft

2. Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working: Hi,I tried to prompt the user to input his new password after a period of time. For testing purpose, i set one day on the Maximum password age. However, the requiring input of password was not activated. after one day, the user was still not requested for submitting his new...
  3. Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working: Hi,I tried to prompt the user to input his new password after a period of time. For testing purpose, i set one day on the Maximum password age. However, the requiring input of password was not activated. after one day, the user was still not requested for submitting his new...
  4. Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. windows defender turned off by group policy

windows defender turned off by group policy: i have an HP laptop, and when i try enabling Windows Defender, it just doesnt let me... i tried many different solutions that are commonly known, but I’m not able to try a specific one since when i type group policy on start nothing shows up please someone help...
  6. Turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus with Local Group Policy Editor not working

Turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus with Local Group Policy Editor not working: Hello! I'm trying to change the Turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus policy but every time I changed it, something is overwriting it or the change is not being saved, but with other policies, this doesn't happen. Any idea? [ATTACH]...
  7. window defender turns off by group policy

window defender turns off by group policy: i really want help because i unable to turn on window defender which shows turnoff by group policy plz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/window-defender-turns-off-by-group-policy/05d50a9e-c7ec-46ed-9331-5d9b3ecbea67
  8. windows defender turn off by group policy:

windows defender turn off by group policy:: how can I on my windows defender? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-turn-off-by-group-policy/2491d75a-40f4-48ad-9af2-60106a7cb07b
  9. Defender turned off in group policy

Defender turned off in group policy: defender is currently off and when i try to turn on it says its set off in group policy. I am not sure how this happened but i cant turn it on again. gpedit isnt available on my home version of windows so how did it get turned off in the first place? 66403
  10. Windows defender is "Turned off by Group Policy"

Windows defender is "Turned off by Group Policy": Hey! I am using Windows 10 Pro. When I launch Windows Defender, it tells that this program had been turned off by group policy. I tried to run as administrator and reinstall Windows Defender, but the problem still persists 87057