Windows 10: Turn off power strip after computer shut down

Discus and support Turn off power strip after computer shut down in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I posted earlier. I have a Dell Inspiron 3670 with Windows 10. When I turn off the computer (hit windows logo, hit the power button, hit shut... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by treborpowers, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Turn off power strip after computer shut down

Hi, I posted earlier. I have a Dell Inspiron 3670 with Windows 10. When I turn off the computer (hit windows logo, hit the power button, hit shut down) after the computer screen is off (screen black) the power light stays on and the small light indicating internal hard drive activity is either on or flashing and this continues for 10 to 30 seconds. This is due to the fast start option which is enabled on most computers. What I have discovered is that if you should turn off the power (at the surge protector) when the power light is still on it messes up your computer meaning hours of time reinstalling stuff. I thank the people who answered my last posting. I know how to handle the problem (either hold down the shift key to get a complete shutdown or simply wait until the power light is off. Each has its advantages and disadvantages). My purpose is posting this is to warn people about this and also in hopes that Microsoft will alter their program so the screen remains on (maybe with flying birds or what ever) until the machine is really going to shutoff. Many people like myself turn off the surge protector. I have had to spend over 700 dollars replacing my dishwasher because a power surge fried the motherboard. My understanding is a surge protector strip turned off is as safe as actually unplugging your computer (printer, external hard drives, etc.) As I said I think I have found the best solution. My purpose in posting is to save others from the troubles I have experienced. Thank you for listening.

:)

treborpowers, Dec 2, 2018

2. When after shutdown should power strip be turned off?

I notice that on Windows 10, unlike Windows 7, after starting Shutdown the monitor very quickly goes dark. However, after this there is another 20 to 30 second wait before the power light on the computer case goes off. Do I have to wait until this power
    light on the computer case goes off before I can safely turn off the power strip which supplies power to the computer, monitor, and other peripherals? Or can I safely turn off the power strip as soon as the monitor goes blank?

Robert H. Biggadike, Dec 2, 2018
  3. Mandroid Win User
    How do I make my computer shut down (properly)?

I didn't want to do an extra step and have to go to the strip every time, even if this solves the problem.

Mandroid, Dec 2, 2018
  4. Turn off power strip after computer shut down

Computer turns itself back on after shut down

Hi Thiaunaj,

It could be due to incorrect settings or missing/corrupt drivers or missing updates.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Go to, Settings. Then System. Then click on Power and Sleep.
    • Click on Additional power settings. Then "Choose what the power button does".
    • Click on Change Settings. Finally unclick "Turn on fast start up".
    • Save Settings.
    Also, try to run the Power Troubleshooter.

Power troubleshooter will automatically fix some common issues with Power Plans. Run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings,
    which determine how long the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering sleep mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

• Press Windows Logo Key+X then click on Search option.
    • Type Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting and click on
      System and Security.
    • Click on Power and follow the onscreen steps.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Dec 2, 2018
Thema:

Turn off power strip after computer shut down

1. Turn off power strip after computer shut down - Similar Threads - Turn off power

2. Pc powering on and off after accidental shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc powering on and off after accidental shut down: So a few moments ago my pc was updating to windows 11 but I accidentally powered it off during the update now when i go to turn it on again it shuts off and powers on over and over i cant even see the monitor turn on bc it’s happening so quick is there a way to fix this?...
  3. Pc powering on and off after accidental shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc powering on and off after accidental shut down: So a few moments ago my pc was updating to windows 11 but I accidentally powered it off during the update now when i go to turn it on again it shuts off and powers on over and over i cant even see the monitor turn on bc it’s happening so quick is there a way to fix this?...
  4. Pc powering on and off after accidental shut down

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Turning power strip on now turns CPU power light on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Turning power strip on now turns CPU power light on: Normally when I turn the power strip on in the morning I had to then turn on my CPU separately. For the past week when I turn on the power strip the CPU power button lights up, but I still have a black screen. I still have to press the lighted CPU power button briefly, and...
  6. Computer shuts off then will turn on right after

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer shuts off then will turn on right after: Hi, I recently upgraded my computer. I replaced all parts except my GPU and the case. The issue I have is my computer will shut off and turn back on. I did the rebuild about 3 weeks ago. There are days where it won't shut down at all, then there are times it will shut off...
  7. Computer shuts down powers off in sleep mode

Computer shuts down powers off in sleep mode: After my computer enters sleep mode for some time it will automatically shut down or power off rather than just remaining in sleep mode. it is a Dell XPS Studio 9100 running Windows 10. I have checked power settings and can't find any obvious problems. Any ideas on solving...
  8. Computer turning off after shut down

Computer turning off after shut down: My computer first wouldn't come on now it turns on after shut down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-turning-off-after-shut-down/d576c75f-55d2-44e8-bfde-1cc69a3f9b52
  9. Shut down/Power off

Shut down/Power off: I have an HP laptop with windows 10 home. When I choose start/shut down, it closes everything and screen goes blank, but won't power down (off). It used to work. I have to manually turn it off....
  10. Computer does not turn off after shutting down

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer does not turn off after shutting down: Dell Optiplex 780, had Windows 7 64-bit, upgraded to Windows 10 via the free upgrade. Now every time I tell Windows 10 to shut down, it does the shut down sequence but the computer itself remains on. The power light is on and the computer itself is running. The Only way to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell inspiron 3670 turns on then off when power applied

2. pc with power strip shut off