Windows 10: Turn On BitLocker for Windows 10 Operating System Drive without TPM

Discus and support Turn On BitLocker for Windows 10 Operating System Drive without TPM in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]You can choose how to unlock the operating system drive when you turn on your PC with a PIN (requires TPM), Password, or a Startup key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Oct 31, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

Turn On BitLocker for Windows 10 Operating System Drive without TPM

WinClub, Oct 31, 2019
  2. sam9 Win User

How to Use Bitlocker on Only Non System Drive and without TPM

I want to use Bitlocker on my Non System E Drive without TPM. I read somewhere to do the following for without TPM:

" Under Local Computer Policy navigate to Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Bit Locker Drive Encryption \ Operating System Drives and double click on Require additional authentication at startup." and so on.

but I am confused because the above note is mentioning "Operating System Drives " wherein I want to turn on Bitlocker on Non System Drive.

Can we turn bitlocker "on" on Non System Drives without turning it "on" on System Drives and Can we turn it "on" on
    a Single Folder instead of Drive.

Please advise step by step.

3. Yan.S Win User
    Bitlocker without TPM

Hi there,

I'm trying to use Bitlocker without TPM

My version is Windows 10 Home, and I try to follow -

To turn on BitLocker Drive Encryption on a computer without a compatible TPM

1. Click Start, type gpedit.mscin the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    2. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
    3. In the Local Group Policy Editor console tree, click Local Computer Policy, click Administrative Templates, click Windows Components, and then clickBitLocker Drive Encryption.
    4. Double-click the setting Control Panel Setup: Enable Advanced Startup Options.
    5. Select the Enabled option, select the Allow BitLocker without a compatible TPM check box, and then click OK.
    You have changed the policy setting so that you can use a startup key instead of a TPM.

1. Close the Local Group Policy Editor.
    2. To force Group Policy to apply immediately, you can click Start, typegpupdate.exe /forcein the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    3. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    4. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
    5. On the BitLocker Drive Encryption page, click Turn On BitLocker. This will only appear with the operating system volume.
    6. On the Set BitLocker Startup Preferences page, select the Require Startup USB Key at every startup option. This is the only option available for non-TPM configurations. This key must be inserted each time before you start
      the computer.
    7. Insert your USB flash drive in the computer, if it is not already there.
    8. On the Save your Startup Key page, choose the location of your USB flash drive, and then click Save.
    9. On the Save the recovery password page, you will see the following options:
    · Save the password on a USB drive. Saves the password to a USB flash drive.

· Save the password in a folder. Saves the password to a folder on a network drive or other location.

· Print the password. Prints the password

While I have a problem on step 4.

Double-click the setting Control Panel Setup: Enable Advanced Startup Options.

I can find "BitLocker Drive Encryption" on my group policy editor, while I cannot find
    Control Panel Setup: Enable Advanced Startup Options anywhere.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

Yan

Yan.S, Oct 31, 2019
  4. Kayanor Win User

"Unexpected network error" on BitLocker operating system drive encryption installation

Hello there,

I recently did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 Pro on my desktop PC. After installing Windows, I wanted to enable BitLocker on all my hard drives. This worked on the "Fixed data drives" without any problem, but I can't seem to get it working on my OS drive.

Whenever I want to enable BitLocker on the OS drive, I only get to the point where I can choose to run the "BitLocker system check". If I do, the system restarts, then nothing happens, the BitLocker overview page in the Control Panel lets me enable BitLocker again.

If I choose to not perform the system check and click on "Start encrypting", an error will appear on the window, stating "An unexpected network error occurred."

Turn On BitLocker for Windows 10 Operating System Drive without TPM 84ff1502-9719-4c05-aadb-bf8ce2a97941?upload=true.png

What I tried to do to fix the problem:

• Clear the TPM from within Windows
    • Clear the TPM in the UEFI
    • Disable the TPM in the UEFI (BitLocker didn't want to start, as expected)
    • Reenable TPM
    • Reinstall Windows

So what can I do to enable BitLocker on my Operating system drive too?

Kayanor, Oct 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On BitLocker for Windows 10 Operating System Drive without TPM - Similar Threads - Turn BitLocker Operating

2. Using BitLocker without a TPM

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Using BitLocker without a TPM: I have an older PC I want to protect the data on with BitLocker. It's running Windows 10 Pro, and the PC does not have a TPM.If I enable and setup BitLocker without a TPM, and set it to require a password on boot not a USB key, is the password itself encrypted? Normally the...
  3. Using BitLocker without a TPM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using BitLocker without a TPM: I have an older PC I want to protect the data on with BitLocker. It's running Windows 10 Pro, and the PC does not have a TPM.If I enable and setup BitLocker without a TPM, and set it to require a password on boot not a USB key, is the password itself encrypted? Normally the...
  4. Using BitLocker without a TPM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't encrypt system drive with bitlocker - Windows 10 pro and TPM activated

Can't encrypt system drive with bitlocker - Windows 10 pro and TPM activated: Hello Community,I have a problem I can't solve by myself. Since 2 days, I am trying to encrypt my system C: drive with BitLocker. To clarify, I have a Windows 10 Pro license and my TPM is activated I think. Still, I get an error when trying to encrypt my drive. Windows and...
  6. Enable Bitlocker Without TPM

Enable Bitlocker Without TPM: Hello everyone, i need to enable BitLocker on all the computers all parittions inside the company using a script or command line without enabling TPM option and backup the recovery key to AD DS. is there a way to achieve that, i have searched a lot to do this with no...
  7. "the operating system drive is not protected by bitlocker drive encryption"

"the operating system drive is not protected by bitlocker drive encryption": Hi. My pc has 8 drives attached to it. A: sata ssd B: usb C: m2 nvme E: m2 nvme U: sata ssd W: usb X: sata hdd Y: sata hdd E, U X and Y are bitlocked. I wanted to turn on the auto-unlock feature, which worked fine except for drive E, which give the error,...
  8. Bitlocker without TPM help

Bitlocker without TPM help: Hi all, I've been having a bit of trouble trying to get Bitlocker working on my Dad's laptop. He recently bought a new laptop with Win 7 pro and I upgraded it to Win 10. It all went smoothly except now when I'm trying to get Bitlocker to encrypt his drive. It has an ssd...
  9. How to Use Bitlocker on Only Non System Drive and without TPM

How to Use Bitlocker on Only Non System Drive and without TPM: I want to use Bitlocker on my Non System E Drive without TPM. I read somewhere to do the following for without TPM: " Under Local Computer Policy navigate to Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Bit Locker Drive Encryption \ Operating...
  10. Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your files on an entire drive. BitLocker can...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. force password bitlocker operating system drive