Windows 10: Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Encrypted Data Drives in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Encrypted Data Drives in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]You can turn BitLocker Auto-unlock for fixed or removable Data Drives, on or off using BitLocker Manager, Command Prompt, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Nov 6, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Encrypted Data Drives in Windows 10

WinClub, Nov 6, 2019
  2. JacquesBl Win User

BitLocker: turn on auto-unlock without encrypting OS Drive (SSD)

I have the following configuration:

C (OS Drive) - SSD (128Gb)

D (Data Drive) - Normal Disk (1Tb)

D is encrypted using BitLocker but C is not encrypted.

I want to turn on auto-unlock on D, but get the following message: "The operating system drive is not protected by BitLocker Drive Encryption." - is there a way around this? I would ideally not want to encrypt my SSD.

I've moved my page file to D, but since the drive must be manually unlocked I get page file errors.

Thanks!

JacquesBl, Nov 6, 2019
  3. mike1899 Win User
    Turning on Bitlocker's auto-unlock on partitioned drive

I have Windows 10 Pro running on a 500GB hard drive which is partitioned into C: for Windows programs and D: where I keep my documents. I want to secure my documents and personal files from unauthorized access.

Anyone with a Linux bootable USB stick can boot a computer from the USB stick and then access all files on the hard drive. To prevent this I have used Bitlocker to encrypt my D: drive. The drive now cannot be accessed if laptop is booted externally.

I now want to turn on "auto-unlock", so that when I boot into Windows through the laptops' Window OS the D: drive is automatically unlocked. When I select "turn on auto-unlock" on the Bitlocker Drive Encryption screen I get the error message "The operating
    system drive is not protected by Bitlocker Drive Encryption."

Why will it not allow me auto unlock the drive?

Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Encrypted Data Drives in Windows 10 6fa64bb4-2463-4748-b5f0-772a379a25df.png

mike1899, Nov 6, 2019
  4. Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Encrypted Data Drives in Windows 10

Failure to unlock BitLocker encrypted HD after new windows 10 installation

Hello Kostas,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your
    operating system drive (the drive where Windows is installed), a
    fixed data drive (such as an internal hard drive), or a
    removable data drive
    (such as a USB flash drive).

The way you unlock an encrypted drive depends on two things:

• What kind of drive it is.
    • What kind of unlock method you chose when you set up BitLocker on the drive.
    I suggest you to refer to the following article and check if it helps.

Unlock a BitLocker-protected drive

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/unlock-bitlocker-protected-drive

(Applies to Windows 10 as well).

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Nov 6, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Encrypted Data Drives in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Encrypted Data Drives in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Auto

2. failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive: failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive with error "resetting your protector failed for an unknown reason"I have recovery key, but still failed...
  3. Auto Unlock BitLocked drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto Unlock BitLocked drives: Hi.I am just seeking some advice for the following desired implementation for encrypting drives and doing backups.I have a set of 5 USB external drives, which I have encrypted using BitLocker on a Windows 10 PC.All these drives have the same drive label, which is required for...
  4. Auto Unlock BitLocked drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto Unlock BitLocked drives: Hi.I am just seeking some advice for the following desired implementation for encrypting drives and doing backups.I have a set of 5 USB external drives, which I have encrypted using BitLocker on a Windows 10 PC.All these drives have the same drive label, which is required for...
  5. Auto Unlock BitLocked drives

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. BitLocker Drive Encryption: The data drive specified is not set to automatically unlock

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BitLocker Drive Encryption: The data drive specified is not set to automatically unlock: Good morning,We are trying to configure BitLocker across our domain, and we are running into some issues. The issues only occur on about a quarter of our machines, the rest work as intended.The error message we receive states this: "The data drive specified is not set to...
  7. Bitlocker insanity - cannot turn off auto unlock

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker insanity - cannot turn off auto unlock: I have two PCs, one with Windows Pro and one with Windows Home You can only set up and configure Bitlocker on Pro. I have an external SSD which I encrypted with Bitlocker. I selected the Auto Unlock feature when connecting the SSD to my Windows Home PC, and as you can't...
  8. Unlock BitLocker Encrypted Fixed or Removable Data Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Unlock BitLocker Encrypted Fixed or Removable Data Drive in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]BitLocker Drive Encryption is a data protection feature that integrates with the OS, Fixed & Removable drives that addresses threats of unauthorized access. In this post, we show you how to use password or recovery key to unlock a drive [...] This post...
  9. Turn On or Off BitLocker for Removable Data Drives in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off BitLocker for Removable Data Drives in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off BitLocker for Removable Data Drives in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off BitLocker for Removable Data Drives in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your files on an entire drive. BitLocker can help...
  10. Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Auto-unlock for BitLocker Drive in Windows 10 [img] Information BitLocker can encrypt the drive Windows is installed on (the removable data drive (such as an external hard drive...