Turn On or Off Background Apps in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Background Apps in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; Well, at least that means this issue gets fixed in a later version. Guess there's no more point in fussing over this for now. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by paulsalter, Jun 20, 2015.

1. trashbag Win User

Well, at least that means this issue gets fixed in a later version. Guess there's no more point in fussing over this for now.

2. trashbag Win User

Nevermind, Microsoft Edge has reappeared in task manager as a background app despite the policy. Guess I'll try the other options and see how it goes.

Edit: Okay, after a bit of fiddling I've discovered a few things.

1: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\BackgroundAccessApplications GlobalUserDisabled deletes itself after a restart. I'm guessing that this was the flag that affected background apps before 1803 and this is why it keeps resetting after every restart. Seems to be pretty useless now.

2: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search BackgroundAppGlobalToggle seems to be the one that controls the background apps switch in the 1803 Settings. However, when used by itself without the policy edit, it turns itself back on after restart regardless.

3: With both the policy edit and the second registry edit, BackgroundAppGlobalToggle stays off even after restart. However, since Edge appeared as a background app for me even when I had the policy edit, I don't know if I need both active to stop this background app nonsense. Can't really do anything at this moment except wait and see.

4: The policy edit appears to remove some Cortana settings in Settings. Nothing that I really care about though.

I could have done a few more tests so take all this with a grain of salt... but frankly I'm tired of this nonsense so I'm just gonna try having both the policy and the second registry edit and see if that works out. If not, I guess there's nothing I can do except hope and wait for a fix.

Edit 2: Nope, that doesn't work either. Has anyone actually managed to stop Edge from running in the background automatically? Apparently this is only an issue with W10 Pro 1803.

3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I don't have Microsoft Edge running in the background.

If you like, post a screenshot showing it in Task Manager to see if it may help shed anymore light on it.

4. trashbag Win User
    I can't grab a screenshot at the moment but Edge appears as a Background Process in Task Manager every time I leave my computer idle for a while. It's the same as when you (intentionally) allow Edge as a background app, which is what I don't want. Are you on 17134.1 with Pro? It's apparently only a problem in that version.

5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm on build 17655 (Skip Ahead) running the "Windows 10 Pro for Workstations" edition.

Thema:

Turn On or Off Background Apps in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Background Apps in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Background

Forum Date

Turn On or Off Show Tabs for Sets in Alt+Tab in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Show Tabs for Sets in Alt+Tab in Windows 10: It still shows the tabs in Alt+Tab in build 17639 no mater if set to Windows only or Windows and tabs for me though. How about for you folks? 107462
Windows 10 Tutorials Apr 5, 2018

Turn On or Off Core Isolation Memory Integrity in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Core Isolation Memory Integrity in Windows 10: first of all excuse me for my english but i have some questions. So, if i don't misunderstand the MS article, device that meet the minimum requirements have (part of) VBS enabled by default regardless of the type of installation (clean or upgrade) while HVCI depends on the...
Windows 10 Tutorials Mar 22, 2018

Turn On or Off Tabs in apps (Sets) in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Tabs in apps (Sets) in Windows 10: I merged the reg file but it doesn't appear to have worked. How do I get tabs? 102362
Windows 10 Tutorials Mar 9, 2018

Turn On or Off Multilingual Text Prediction in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Multilingual Text Prediction in Windows 10: Thanks Shawn. Another clear, straightforward tut. From the picture in option one it's clear, that Microsoft didn't decide yet, if they want this to work or not. There is statement under Hardware keyboard, that suggestions only work for En-us language, but in the selection...
Windows 10 Tutorials Feb 10, 2018

Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps that are Blurry in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps that are Blurry in Windows 10: Please correct from NavPaneShowAllCloudStates toEnablePerProcessSystemDPI. 100793
Windows 10 Tutorials Feb 4, 2018

Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10

Turn On or Off App Launch Tracking in Windows 10: Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I have the "Let Windows track app launches to improve Start and search results" option greyed out (..."some settings hidden/managed by your organizaition"). Registry trick doesn't help, Start_TrackProgs is already set to 1. I'd really...
Windows 10 Tutorials Jan 16, 2018

Turn On or Off Retail Demo Experience Mode in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Retail Demo Experience Mode in Windows 10: How about how do I remove "Retail Demo Service"? Turn On or Off Retail Demo Experience Mode in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials WARNING: Enabling this mode will erase all the personal files on your PC and reset it to factory default settings. 85522
Windows 10 Tutorials Jan 16, 2018

Turn Off Cortana Contacts, Email, & Calendar Permissions in Windows 10

Turn Off Cortana Contacts, Email, & Calendar Permissions in Windows 10: Settings > Cortana > Talk to Cortana > Let Cortana access my calendar, email, messages and so on... Where's the corresponding registry key?! 81392
Windows 10 Tutorials Dec 16, 2017

Turn On or Off Automatically Free Up Space in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Automatically Free Up Space in Windows 10: There are 2 more: "02"=dword:00000001 "StoragePoliciesNotified"=dword:00000001 What about them?! 75317
Windows 10 Tutorials Dec 5, 2017

Turn On or Off Hotspot 2.0 Networks in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Hotspot 2.0 Networks in Windows 10: Registry hack does not work at all, even after restart in Fall Update... 49233
Windows 10 Tutorials Dec 5, 2017
Turn On or Off Background Apps in Windows 10 solved