Windows 10: Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Hey *Smile Something I thought you might want to add to this very useful tutorial. If you only use the hiberboot function and not the actual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

, as it can reduce the size of hiberfil.sys by a sizable chunk.

Just my two cents.
    Cheers.[/quote] Thank you Injust. New tutorial below for this. *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Oct 4, 2015

2. My pc wont boot with fastboot enabled *Eek
    When i poweron my machine it shutdown immediately.

2nd poweron boot normal but when i check eventviewer ''kernel-power'' id 41.

My motherboard is Asus H81M-E/51AD

10userwindows, Oct 4, 2015
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello 10userwindows, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Fast boot would be a different setting that fast startup, but I think you meant fast startup.

It appears that your motherboard may not support fast startup.

The error message you got means:

Kernel Power Event ID 41 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

Brink, Oct 4, 2015
  4. cognus Win User

i think this answers my question:
    - Fast startup IS dependent on Hibernation [being enabled], however
    - there exists an 'abbreviated' hybernation option...

fighting slow boot times....

cognus, Oct 25, 2015
  5. thedoc46 Win User
    I'm having Fast Startup Problems on my new build. Machine just shuts down as it gets to the windows logo on boot, around maybe 1 in 5 boots.... If i turn off Fast Startup its fine. Never has a problem.

Win 10 Pro 64bit, clean install. Asus Z97-A 3.1, Corsair Vengenace 16GB, 2 SSD,s + 1 HDD. EVGA GTX980 GPU. Installed the Win10 chipset driver from the Asus website and left everything else to Windows to install (apart from the GPU of course)

Pretty straight forward install.

Want to know the best way to go troubleshooting what part of the initializition is causing the machine to shutdown to OFF, when fast start is on.

What logfiles are created and where are they ?

thedoc46, Oct 28, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 28, 2015
  7. thedoc46 Win User
    Thanks, the 1074 really didn't come up with anything other than info

The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (I5-4690K) has initiated the power off of computer I5-4690K on behalf of user I5-4690K\ for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)

and the 6008 (unexpected shutdown) logs came up empty.

Great little tool though, i'll be sure to use it in the future. Thanks Brink.

If anyone has any other suggestions as to why my problem is happening, please chime in.

thedoc46, Oct 29, 2015
  8. peterweb Win User

The process you show seems to have something to do with your CPU, unless your username is the same as your CPU. Check that the CPU is properly cooled and the fan is running. Did you use the cooling paste properly?

peterweb, Oct 29, 2015
  9. thedoc46 Win User
    Yes, my computer name is named by the CPU that's inside. And no it has absolutely nothing to do with that whatsoever. My CPU is cooled by a Noctua NH-D15 and is properly installed. This is a driver issue of some kind that doesn't like the hibernated state of fast startup. I just need a way to find out which driver is causing the issue.

thedoc46, Oct 29, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 29, 2015
  11. cocay Win User
    Hello TenForums,

First of all thanks for all these tutorials they've helped me a lot.

I have a question I strugle finding an answer to. Given that the hiberfile is written to the hard drive, I thought it would mean that the computer doesn't need to consume any energy at all between a shutdown and a fast startup. But the comments in this thread seem to point to the contrary.

So my question is, does the pc still consume energy after shutting down with fast startup enabled? Does that apply to desktop pcs? What happens if I shut down a desktop pc with fast startup enabled and then disconnect it from the power source?

Also, I would like to know the answer to those same questions but in regard to UEFI fast boot.

Thanks in advance.

cocay, Nov 8, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Cocay, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Fast Startup is a hybrid boot with an effectively zero watt power draw when off. When turned on, the computer doesn't perform a full shutdown.

You can read more indepth details about Fast Startup here:

For more about Fast Boot, see: Fast Boot - Enable in UEFI Firmware Settings for Windows 8 and 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Brink, Nov 8, 2015
  13. cocay Win User

Hello Brink, thank you for your welcome and your help =)

I'm still confused. The first article you linked to seems to indicate that a computer shut down with fast startup enabled consumes no energy at all: they talk about resuming from a full power loss, or having "Effectively zero watt power draw when off", and show a video of a laptop whit its battery removed booting with fast startup.
    Yet, what you describe is a "very low power state", which is not the same.

So what happens really? Is it a zero watt consumption state, as the article seems to say, or is it a low power state, as you say?

Thanks.

cocay, Nov 8, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yep, effectively zero watt power draw.

Brink, Nov 8, 2015
  15. cocay Win User
    Thanks for making this clearer.

So, just to be sure, if I:

-Enable Fast Startup
    -Shut down my desktop computer
    -Disconnect my computer from the power source, so it receives no energy at all
    -Reconnect it to the power source hours later

Will I still benefit from Fast Startup when turning my computer on?

cocay, Nov 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Fast

2. hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup: is it ok to turn off fast startup bc i research about my pc bc everytime i check on my pc it says windows was not properly shutdown even i dont using my pc that time it says windows was not properly shutdown and it says windows successfully update in down of it does turning...
  3. hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup: is it ok to turn off fast startup bc i research about my pc bc everytime i check on my pc it says windows was not properly shutdown even i dont using my pc that time it says windows was not properly shutdown and it says windows successfully update in down of it does turning...
  4. hey guys is it ok to turn off fast startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows (or some other program) turned fast startup off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows (or some other program) turned fast startup off: My pc was working fine, and i quite enjoyed the feature since I still am rocking an hdd. Does anybody here know why either windows or some other program woud turn this feature off? submitted by /u/Bena437 [link] [comments]...
  6. turn on fast startup windows 10 HELP!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    turn on fast startup windows 10 HELP!!: Quick Start Window 10 is not available and says that some settings are managed by the system administratorPls help me [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-on-fast-startup-windows-10/309c04e0-88c7-4439-a5e9-43c36d12e5ed
  7. "turn on fast startup" windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "turn on fast startup" windows 10: "turn on fast startup" windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-on-fast-startup-windows-10/2f19289e-6c94-43cb-b23a-fb8b8ee38320
  8. Cmd prompt to turn off Fast startup at boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cmd prompt to turn off Fast startup at boot: Would an Autoexec Bat file work? Maybe turning off hibernate (?) The problem is on my Asus UX303LA laptop with Fast Start on I can't boot from a recovery usb. If I turn off Fast Startup all is well and the computer boots. What would be be the code? Thanks 98382
  9. Fast Startup Issue - Can't turn it off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast Startup Issue - Can't turn it off: As stated in the title. Since i got the Creators Update, my computer will not shutdown and continues to "fast startup" with all my previous windows still open, even with the setting turned off. Checked the BIOS setting for this as well and made sure it was set to 0. Really...
  10. Win 10 creators update..leave fast startup on or turn off?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 creators update..leave fast startup on or turn off?: In my Lenovo Ideapad 305 I had problems with the earlier edition of win 10 so I was advised to turn off the fast start up of my pc and problem was solved,now the creators edition has been successfully installed I see the setting has been put back to fast start up with no...