Windows 10: Turning HDR makes color washed out and dull. Fullscreen in games ignores color settings.

Discus and support Turning HDR makes color washed out and dull. Fullscreen in games ignores color settings. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I just bought a vesa certified hdr400 monitor and when I turn on windows HDR it looks more like the gamma just got cranked up. I can go turn the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by HaydenJudy, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Turning HDR makes color washed out and dull. Fullscreen in games ignores color settings.

I just bought a vesa certified hdr400 monitor and when I turn on windows HDR it looks more like the gamma just got cranked up. I can go turn the contrast up in nvidia control panel and it sort of balances out, but when I go fullscreen in games it lookes pale and washed out as if I never made adjustments. The games work well with HDR in windowed, but not windowed borderless or fullscreen. Games I've tried this with include Doom eternal and Sea of Theives.

I'm running a 2070 super on the most recent graphics driver. Windows is up to date.

:)

HaydenJudy, Jun 3, 2020

2. HDR and Washed out colors

What's up guys so my new monitor is HDR compatible however whenever I enable HDR in games, it makes them look terrible. The colors are super washed out, the brights are dull and the blacks are boosted to like a grey-ish. I've updated the monitor firmware and installed the latest driver for it. Right now, my normal color settings look more HDR then HDR it's self, lol. I've tried 3 games- BF5, FC5, and AC Odyssey. All with the same results.

N00berG00ber, Jun 3, 2020
  3. Cliff S Win User
    HDR and Washed out colors

Turn on dynamic full range for your GPU

Turning HDR makes color washed out and dull. Fullscreen in games ignores color settings. [​IMG]

Turn off the HDR crap in Windows:

Turning HDR makes color washed out and dull. Fullscreen in games ignores color settings. [​IMG]

If a game supports HDR, like Mass Effect Andromeda, it will automatically detect your TV supports it and switches it on, and you can verify it is on in the settings of games that support HDR, usually it will say on or off.

And lastly it will all depend on what kind of HDR your screen supports: HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, Dolby Vision and Advanced HDR by Technicolor.

Cliff S, Jun 3, 2020
  4. Cliff S Win User

Turning HDR makes color washed out and dull. Fullscreen in games ignores color settings.

HDR and Washed out colors

Does your monitor have any software for it?
    Check the support page for new divers, color calibration software, and the ICC profile istaller.

That reminds me, check in control panel to make sure you have the color profile set for that monitor, and not some Windows default one like sRGB.
    Both my monitors have the ICC color profiles set

Cliff S, Jun 3, 2020
Thema:

Turning HDR makes color washed out and dull. Fullscreen in games ignores color settings.

1. Turning HDR makes color washed out and dull. Fullscreen in games ignores color settings. - Similar Threads - Turning HDR makes

2. Washed out colors after update.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Washed out colors after update.: Is there any logs where i can check what settings has been changed? Cause after i update my windows 10 to version 2004, the colors became washed out. I tried restoring to previous version but it didn't help. It was completely fine before i update my os and now it's messed up....
  3. Colors became washed-out/dull after GPU driver reinstall.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Colors became washed-out/dull after GPU driver reinstall.: I have RTX 2060 GPU and after reinstalling graphics driver a couple times in an attempt to fix black screen issue, my screen colors became washed out... blacks aren't as dark as they were, and colors not as vibrant as before. Everything is dull, including games, desktop, etc....
  4. Washed out color issue at full screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Washed out color issue at full screen: Recently, I purchased laptop that has i5-10210U and MX250 graphics. When video which is sample video from windows setting for HDR or from Intel graphics software is playing at full screen, it turns like gray color or washed out, but this problem can be disappeared...
  5. Washed out HDR

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Washed out HDR: Hi I'm curious and wonder how many of you have made HDR work properly? I've tried most things I can try and can't get HDR to work, switched PCs, 3 different monitors, different DP cables, formatted PCs and all tests resurfaced the same with washed colors. Windows 10 bad...
  6. Washed out colors after update 1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Washed out colors after update 1909: Hi, I've recently updated Windows 10 and as result the color are completely messed up, and I can't turn night light on either. Also, when I switch HDR video off it still remains on. https://imgur.com/a/f7838aR I have an Intel UHD Graphics 620 and NVIDIA Geforce MX150...
  7. HDR washed out looking

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDR washed out looking: It seems to be a bug going back years now, but is there any way to get HDR mode looking normal and not super washed out? Fullscreen game HDR works fine, but desktop HDR looks like trash. submitted by /u/XSSpants [link] [comments]...
  8. Washed out Taskbar Color

in Windows 10 Customization
    Washed out Taskbar Color: I left my computer on while I ran a few errands this morning. Was gone about an hour and a half. When I returned and brought my screen back to life, I noticed my Taskbar was no longer anywhere near the color it had been - a slightly-lighter shade of my dark green background...
  9. Colors wash out when playing videos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Colors wash out when playing videos: Hello! I have this issue for quite a while. I noticed when playing a movie or a video on a video player (i tried VLC, Windows Media Player, and the desktop app for Netflix) the picture changes sometimes to a really washed out color and it changes back after a while. I also...
  10. HDR and Washed out colors

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HDR and Washed out colors: What's up guys so my new monitor is HDR compatible however whenever I enable HDR in games, it makes them look terrible. The colors are super washed out, the brights are dull and the blacks are boosted to like a grey-ish. I've updated the monitor firmware and installed the...