Windows 10: Turning off Hibernation

Discus and support Turning off Hibernation in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; What's the difference between disabling hibernation through the power settings by selecting "never" in the hibernation section or using the command... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/JoaoVieira16, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Turning off Hibernation

What's the difference between disabling hibernation through the power settings by selecting "never" in the hibernation section or using the command "powercfg.exe /h off" in the command line?

submitted by /u/JoaoVieira16
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/JoaoVieira16, Apr 15, 2020

2. Cannot turn off hibernation

We have two relatively new identical HP ProDesk 400s running Windows 10. The computers often go into hibernation over night, preventing us from being able to log in remotely, and we can't shut off that feature. Our IT guy is also baffled. We have tried:

Turning off hibernation in Windows

Turning off hibernation in a command shell being run as administrator

Changing the Windows power settings to high performance

Updating Windows, drivers, BIOS

Turning off power saving options in the BIOS

Deleting Energy Star

Setting the BIOS to have the computer wake up every morning at 7:00 automatically

Basically, we have tried everything that makes any intuitive sense and anything the intertubes suggested we do. All HP could suggest in addition is reinstalling Windows, which is a bigger step than we would like to take.

Luke Hannah, Apr 15, 2020
  3. Missing hibernate button

Hi Yusak,

We would like to isolate this issue that you're having right now. Will you be able to provide the exact error message that you recieved?

We suggest that you try to enable hibernation on your device using the Command Prompt.

To make hibernation available, follow these steps:

• Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    • In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
    • When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate on, and then press Enter.
    • Type exit, and then press Enter to close the Command Prompt window.

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Leviozar Gam, Apr 15, 2020
  4. Turning off Hibernation

Hibernation and the Lack Thereof

Hi,

The hiberfil.sys takes too much of space on your hard drive if the hibernation is on. However, it's odd that even trying to turn the hibernation off using the command prompt, goes to no avail. We suggest that you turn off the Power management in Services
    before deleting the file in the drive C. Here are the steps on how to do so:

• Press the Windows icon + R on your keyboard.
    • Type in Services.msc.
    • Look for Power.
    • Right-click on it, then select Stop.
    • Close the Dialog box, launch command prompt with admin rights.
    • Type in powercfg -h off
    • Close the command prompt, then try to delete the hiberfil.sys again.
    If you think this was useful, feel free to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Carlos Tin, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

Turning off Hibernation

1. Turning off Hibernation - Similar Threads - Turning off Hibernation

2. Hibernate/Sleep interruptions, and broken "turning off monitors"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate/Sleep interruptions, and broken "turning off monitors": Turning monitors off via power management crashes the computer and once it displays the desktop it's frozen. There is no further info possible for me to provide on this issue. I've gone through and disabled Global C-States in the BIOS, left the APM default, enabled...
  3. System occasionally turns off in hibernation

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System occasionally turns off in hibernation: Hello,my system occasionally turns off in hibernation. I have severel programs open, which i don't want to start and rearrange everytime i start working after being afk for a while.My specs are:CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: TUF Gaming GeForce RTX™ 3070 V2RAM: 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V...
  4. System occasionally turns off in hibernation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System occasionally turns off in hibernation: Hello,my system occasionally turns off in hibernation. I have severel programs open, which i don't want to start and rearrange everytime i start working after being afk for a while.My specs are:CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: TUF Gaming GeForce RTX™ 3070 V2RAM: 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V...
  5. System occasionally turns off in hibernation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. My laptop turns off/hibernates while it's sleeping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop turns off/hibernates while it's sleeping: I have windows 11 and my problem is that my laptop turns off/hibernates while sleeping. I can't tell if it's hibernating or turned off. There is no "hibernate after" option in my advanced power options menu. What can I do to fix this?...
  7. Hibernating turns the PC off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hibernating turns the PC off: Whenever I hibernate the computer, it ends up doing a fresh restart when boot the system. Any ideas why this might be happening? submitted by /u/thunderbong [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kizla2/hibernating_turns_the_pc_off/
  8. Hibernate turns off screen but power stays on

Hibernate turns off screen but power stays on: Hello. I have a Lenovo Yoga 730 laptop with Windows 10. Hibernate used to work on my laptop. However, now it only turns off my screen my screen goes black and the power stays on my power button's light remains on. If I touch my touch pad or press any key, then the screen...
  9. Hibernate and Suspend turn off my ASUS VivoBook

Hibernate and Suspend turn off my ASUS VivoBook: Both options doesn't work since last windows update, i've tried all the solutions on internet forums, like this on CMD Window: Sfc /scannow DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image...
  10. Have hibernate also turn off the monitor?

Have hibernate also turn off the monitor?: Hi all, I want to have my Windows 10 pc turn off its monitor whenever I put it in hibernate mode. Not in standby, but really off. Is that possible? Perhaps through some registry tweak? Regards, Paul...