Windows 10: Turning OFF scheduled defrag TRIM on ssd drive stopped continual fan noise

Discus and support Turning OFF scheduled defrag TRIM on ssd drive stopped continual fan noise in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; There have been problems reported with the latest WIN 10 upgrade that apparently send the auto-TRIM defrag into daily activity. This may have been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Max Hastings, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Turning OFF scheduled defrag TRIM on ssd drive stopped continual fan noise

There have been problems reported with the latest WIN 10 upgrade that apparently send the auto-TRIM defrag into daily activity.

This may have been the problem causing the fan on my Toshiba laptop to kick in and run continuously. But it stopped after I disabled the scheduled TRIM function.

Go to Search, type in 'defrag' to go to the utility. It it's scheduled on, turn it off.

Do a TRIM manually weekly or less. Or after a big disk cleanup after WIN updates or upgrades.

:)

Max Hastings, Sep 16, 2020

2. Windows does not Trim SSD on schedule

Why is it, that in Windows 10, I can trim an SSD manually via the optimization center, but the scheduled Trim is not happening? The SATA drive is set up as an ordinary NTFS drive, is recognized as an SSD (just as my disk drives are recognized correctly)
    and it is included in the choice of drives to optimize (daily). Windows defragments the disk drives on the daily schedule, but the calendar for SSD optimization via TRIM just starts racking up the days since the last manually stimulated occurrence. Howcomezit?

BTW, I would search Windows events for the optimization, but Microsoft forgot, for the umpteenth time, to include a full search mechanism in the Event Viewer.

Oh - with regard to categorization of this question, is this topic considered one related to devices or to storage?

%-\

ITG

ITgreybeard, Sep 16, 2020
  3. Windows does not Trim SSD on schedule

As I understand, optimization is either defrag (HD) or trim (SSD), depending on the disk type. And if I understand Trim, it does not operate independently of the O/S; garbage collection is done sporadically without assist of the O/S, but Trim must be operated
    through the O/S. And, again, if I understand, Trim and garbage collection are not the same thing. If Trim was not able to be scheduled or if Trim did not need to be scheduled, then Microsoft would not have included it in their Optimization Center for SSDs.
    But Microsoft did include it, and appears to not be running it for SSDs even when included in a schedule.

I was asking why this was so, and if there was a solution to it.

As Microsoft appears to have no solution, I will look for a third-party Trim that can be scheduled outside of the Optimization Center.

Thx. ITG

ITgreybeard, Sep 16, 2020
  4. Turning OFF scheduled defrag TRIM on ssd drive stopped continual fan noise

TRIM for SSD drive

I have a new Dell desktop PC with WIN 10. It has a hard drive (DTurning OFF scheduled defrag TRIM on ssd drive stopped continual fan noise :) and a SSD (CTurning OFF scheduled defrag TRIM on ssd drive stopped continual fan noise :). In the past I have always defragged my hard drive but I understand that I should not optimize/defrag the SSD - that WIN 10 by default uses TRIM to optimize the SSD. I read
    that TRIM is set as a default in WIN 10 and that it optimizes the SSD once a week. But when I look at the properties for the SSD drive, it shows that it has not been optimized for 14 days.

1. How do I know that TRIM is working?

2. If it isn't set as a default, how to I change that?

Thanks.

M Walsh

MarianWalsh, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

Turning OFF scheduled defrag TRIM on ssd drive stopped continual fan noise

1. Turning OFF scheduled defrag TRIM on ssd drive stopped continual fan noise - Similar Threads - Turning OFF scheduled

2. Why is Defrag Trying to Trim a Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why is Defrag Trying to Trim a Hard Drive: I keep getting the error below that the hard drives in my desktop PC cannot be trimmed. The disks are recognised as hard drives and are being defragged on schedule. What's going on and is there a way of resetting defrag to stop this behaviour? 178416
  3. SSD writing and defrag/trim issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD writing and defrag/trim issue: [ATTACH] Recently about 2 weeks ago I bought a 256 GB SSD and did a clean install on it. Is 327 GB of writes is normal? Does the auto optimization play the role here? I read somewhere that Windows actually "trims" not defrags the SSD. One weird thing is the program doesn't...
  4. Windows 10 ver 2004 SSD trim/defrag glitch

Windows 10 ver 2004 SSD trim/defrag glitch: OS: Windows 10 v2004 According to this video on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffHIY6pOJUk, Microsoft has screwed up the defrag function in the latest update. What I found on my 4 Windows 10 PCs (all updated to Ver 2004) is that PCs with a combination of SSDs and...
  5. Scheduled Defrag treats SSD as HDD and defrags it while manual doesn't

Scheduled Defrag treats SSD as HDD and defrags it while manual doesn't: Hi fellow Windows users, so I've been using 1903 for a while but noticed some weird behaviour regarding the default defragment tool. I know Windows 10 normally treats SSD and HDD seperately and will only trim SSDs instead of defragging them. Which is what happens when I try...
  6. SSD TRIM Not Running As Scheduled

SSD TRIM Not Running As Scheduled: I have the SSD in my Win10 desktop set to TRIM weekly, but it isn't running as scheduled. Any idea why? [img] 154593
  7. WIndows suddenly started defragging my SSD instead of trimming it

in Windows 10 Customization
    WIndows suddenly started defragging my SSD instead of trimming it: I have been using my 850 evo SSD as system drive for 3 years and I have always left Windows to optimize the drives. It's recognized as an SSD and everythin worked fine. Until recently, I noticed the drive's activity light is on when idle. Then I open up task manager and the...
  8. TRIM for SSD drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    TRIM for SSD drive: I have a new Dell desktop PC with WIN 10. It has a hard drive (D:) and a SSD (C:). In the past I have always defragged my hard drive but I understand that I should not optimize/defrag the SSD - that WIN 10 by default uses TRIM to optimize the SSD. I read that TRIM is set as a...
  9. What's the trimming phase in Defragment and Optimise Drives?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What's the trimming phase in Defragment and Optimise Drives?: After defragmenting and consolidating (FYI, it's the phase that packs all the files together so it keeps the files from fragmenting), I managed to find a phase called trimming. I left my laptop to sleep while it was defragging (never really a good idea, I suppose). It loves...
  10. Windows Defrag schedule / SSD maintenance query

Windows Defrag schedule / SSD maintenance query: Hi all, As I posted in another thread (about another issue) a while back, I recently installed an SSD and did a clean install of Windows 10. Being my first experience of using an SSD, I did a lot of reading up on it, mainly about maintenance, such as defragmentation etc,...