Windows 10: Turning off start menu internet search

Discus and support Turning off start menu internet search in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I finally got around to backing up my original dell image, and installing a clean Windows Pro image from Microsoft instead (been meaning to do it for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nevernotmaybe, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Turning off start menu internet search

I finally got around to backing up my original dell image, and installing a clean Windows Pro image from Microsoft instead (been meaning to do it for a while). Dell didn't even originally give me the correct language version of Windows for my laptop, a minor annoyance but it did cause an annoying issue with language bar.

After install everything was working better than it did before. I have slowly got everything setup again and everything was fine until I tried to disable internet search from the start menu. In group policy editor I went to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Search and enabled "Do not allow web search" and "Don't search the web or display web results in search". After restart search is still working as normal in the start menu! I also tried disabling Cortana in group policy (it was already turned off in settings) and nothing changed. I know there is a regedit for this and some related settings, but before resorting to just giving up and not fixing the problem I thought I would see if anyone had any ideas here.

Policy editor appears to be working correctly, I changed the update policy to notify for download and it shows this is setup in windows update settings.

:)

nevernotmaybe, Oct 21, 2020

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Oct 21, 2020
  3. quick search does not contains link inside start menu

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I request you to follow the below Suggestions:

1. The Search bar in Widows 10 is more fast and easy. You can search your program by typing it in Search bar.

2. You can use the exact interface of Start menu of Windows 8 in Windows 10. Follow the steps below.

• Click Start menu and select "Settings".
    • Click on "Personalization" and select "Start".
    • Turn "Use Start full screen"
    I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Oct 21, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Turning off start menu internet search

Weird start menu problem, I've been searching for hours

Hi, the 2nd picture is not a current start menu picture- and certainly not related to the anniversary edition- assuming you have the anniversary edition that is. (build 14393.51).

'All apps' has vanished from the start menu in the current build- that was in build 1511 from November 2015 until August 2nd when the new build was released. MS now lists all items the start menu finds as per your 1st picture. If you want something different, you'll need a replacement 3rd party start menu.

(I see 3 icons to the left of the list of programs in my Win 10 start menu- this is configurable in Settings, search for choose which folders..).

So your picture is of the current start menu, anniversary edition.

Suggest it's worth searching the internet for articles on what's changed in the anniversary edition.

dalchina, Oct 21, 2020
Thema:

Turning off start menu internet search

1. Turning off start menu internet search - Similar Threads - Turning off start

2. How to turn off the top news in the start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to turn off the top news in the start menu: Right click the bottom barPick News and InterestClick Turn OffRestart PC, you will not see the Top News Icon again.You can delete the app, but the same Top News Icon will show up. The above method works....
  3. Search in start menu

in Cortana
    Search in start menu: Hi. I have recently switched from my windows 10 PC to my windows 10 laptop. I don't know of any software differences, so I do not know what may be the cause. When using my windows pc, I often quickly open the start menu to search something up by just starting to type in the...
  4. Turn off automatic Internet search in Windows 10 Search

Turn off automatic Internet search in Windows 10 Search: HOW can we turn off automatic Internet search in Windows 10 Search? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-automatic-internet-search-in-windows-10/3174da8f-5545-4927-9ce0-ffb89b61d989
  5. How to turn off web searching when I use the Start menu

How to turn off web searching when I use the Start menu: I wanted to use a software that I didn't know if I had installed it yet or not so I clicked on the Start icon and typed out the program's name. At first, it looked like I had it but when I clicked on it, it took me to a web page. When I repeated it again, it appears that the...
  6. How to turn off START MENU AUTO EXPAND?

How to turn off START MENU AUTO EXPAND?: I am referring to the way in which you hover your mouse pointer over something like the power icon, and it automatically expands outward. I am well aware of the mach2 program that does it. Problem is, it is only a temporary solution. The auto expand will turn itself back...
  7. How to disable internet search through the start menu?

How to disable internet search through the start menu?: I have been searching for an answer and all of the previous ones no longer work. I have the BingSearchEnabled registry key set to 0. I have the CortanaConsent registry key set to 0. Despite this, when I attempt to use the search in the taskbar, it now only does a Bing...
  8. Start Menu Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search: Greetings, When I search with the start menu open after the recent major update it opens a new window. This is atrocious and I want the searching to take place inside the start menu. Is this at all possible? Thanks in advance // 139419
  9. Turn off tiles in Start Menu

Turn off tiles in Start Menu: I saw how to disable the apps in the Start Menu. Can the tiles be disabled? I have never used them and never will. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-tiles-in-start-menu/deb68d78-20e3-4c60-a11f-33eb505ec97c
  10. No Start Menu, Search

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start Menu, Search: All, I upgraded Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home. It worked for a couple of days and suddenly there is no Start Menu (Click start and nothing happens) and no Search box (Icon present but nothing happens when clicked). MY machine is slower accessing all menus...