Windows 10: turning off tapping on touchpad

Discus and support turning off tapping on touchpad in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; After a windows update the touchpad on my laptop now uses tap to click. I've been through lots of mouse, pionter & touchpad settings but it will not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by julianCG, Aug 19, 2020.

1. julianCG Win User

turning off tapping on touchpad

After a windows update the touchpad on my laptop now uses tap to click. I've been through lots of mouse, pionter & touchpad settings but it will not give me the option to turn off tapping.

Can anyone come up with anything?

Thanks very much.

:)

julianCG, Aug 19, 2020
  2. Thanatica Win User

Touchpad: Tap twice to drag

Here's how it works standardly:

1. Tap twice
    2. Hold down on the second tap
    3. Move around and you're dragging
    4. Release finger to stop dragging

Here's what I like it to do:

1. Tap twice
    2. Hold down on the second tap
    3. Move around and you're dragging
    4. Release finger
    5. Reposition finger and continue dragging by flicking the touchpad some more
    6. (repeat steps 4 & 5 as many times as desired)
    7. Release finger and perform one addditional tap to stop dragging

That's what it used to be like in the Windows 7 era with most touchpads. Some people found it annoying and disabled it, but I welcomed it.

I know dragging continues when your finger reaches the touchpad edges, but that I find greatly irritating because it looses all sense of precision. This mechanism is stupendously irritating when trying to pixel-precise drag a trackbar, or when doing some
    painting in photoshop on the go. Or just anything that requires precision.

So I'd like to disable "drag continues at touchpad edge" and enable "require additional tap to stop dragging".

So how can I do that?

If not possible, then please consider this a feature request.

Thanatica, Aug 19, 2020
  3. dsmith888 Win User
    Lenovo T400 touchpad tapping and buttons fail

I recently made a mistake. I loaded the latest Synaptic touchpad to this T400 attempting to fix 'zoom' capability. Only afterwards I noticed T400 is not on the approved list. So I rolled back (also redownloaded, also reapplied old driver). The current situation is the cursor works fine but tapping and buttons do not work. Also note that USB mouse via HID compliant driver works fine.

I don't think it is related to the Windows version (currently on 1903) since I booted from Kyhi's 1703 rescue disk and the problem persists. What suggestions can this forum provide?

Thanks in advance

dsmith888, Aug 19, 2020
  4. turning off tapping on touchpad

turn off touchpad

Thanks for trying I downloaded driver for touchpad, followed the steps you listed but it did not solve the problem - When I get to the last tab for the software, there is no checkbox for "disable touchpad if mouse is attached." I can completely disable the
    touchpad by system, and you, advised against this so at least I had the warning not to completely disable touchpad. I have tried the other options suggested but to no avail. Frustrating!

MonetteIrwin, Aug 19, 2020
Thema:

turning off tapping on touchpad

1. turning off tapping on touchpad - Similar Threads - turning off tapping

2. Keyboard Backlight not turning on by tapping on touchpad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard Backlight not turning on by tapping on touchpad: Hi! It would be useful to have the backlight of the keyboard when I touch the touchpad. this option is not working on my laptop but it was befor and i didn t find the enable options on the settings....
  3. Keyboard Backlight not turning on by tapping on touchpad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard Backlight not turning on by tapping on touchpad: Hi! It would be useful to have the backlight of the keyboard when I touch the touchpad. this option is not working on my laptop but it was befor and i didn t find the enable options on the settings....
  4. Keyboard Backlight not turning on by tapping on touchpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to turn off Touchpad Tap to Click on Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to turn off Touchpad Tap to Click on Windows 11: [ATTACH]If you are using a Windows 11-installed laptop and want to turn off Touchpad Tap to Click, here is how you can do that. It is possible to disable or turn off single finger as well as two fingers tap to click functionality in Windows 11 using this step-by-step...
  6. How to turn off “Tap to click” on touchpad, Windows 10 in 2021

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to turn off “Tap to click” on touchpad, Windows 10 in 2021: All of these solutions on the Internet show a screen that has additional options that I do not have. I have seen other people ask a similar question, with no resolution. Please re-add the option to turn off “tap to click” so we can all get on with our lives. Who on earth is...
  7. Is there a way to turn off "tap to click" on the touchpad under Windows 10?

Is there a way to turn off "tap to click" on the touchpad under Windows 10?: Both my work and home laptops are virtually impossible to type on because the tap to click feature causes the cursor to jump all over the screen while I'm typing. Why is there no longer an option to turn off that ridiculous feature? Everyone I know has an issue with this,...
  8. Please help me turn off "Taps" on my touchpad! Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Please help me turn off "Taps" on my touchpad! Win 10: Hi I am having some hardware issues. My touchpad is super sensitive and repeatedly snaps to the last place I clicked/ hovered, causing me to type over/ into what I've already typed, and even opening windows and tabs at random sometimes when I'm not even touching the machine...
  9. Can't turn off tapping for Synaptics SMBus TouchPad on HP laptop

Can't turn off tapping for Synaptics SMBus TouchPad on HP laptop: Hello, I want to disable tapping on my touchpad, because it keeps getting in the way when I am typing on the keyboard. I tried following various instructions online, but they don't work for me, namely because the option to turn off tapping doesnt seem to be there. When I...
  10. How to turn off tap-to-click function on touchpad (Lenovo ideapad 330)

How to turn off tap-to-click function on touchpad (Lenovo ideapad 330): I just bought a Lenovo ideapad 330 a few days ago, but I find it impossible to turn off the tap to click function on it's touchpad. There is supposed to be an option to do this in the mouse settings, but when I go there, there is none. I had two other people on the case to...