Windows 10: Turning off the "Remove access to use all Windows Update features" group policy

Discus and support Turning off the "Remove access to use all Windows Update features" group policy in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 introduced a new computer group policy, "Remove access to use all Windows Update features", which blocks access to the Windows Update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Harry Johnston (harry), Feb 12, 2019.

1. Turning off the "Remove access to use all Windows Update features" group policy

Windows 10 introduced a new computer group policy, "Remove access to use all Windows Update features", which blocks access to the Windows Update control panel. You can turn this on in group policy and then make the client see the change by scanning for updates.

When you turn the group policy off, however, you have a bit of a chicken and egg problem, because scanning for updates from the control panel is still blocked. With the control panel blocked, you can't start a scan, and without a scan, the control panel will remain blocked.

In v1607, after turning the setting off in group policy you could make the client see the change by running "usoclient StartScan" at the command line.

In v1809 this no longer works.

Is there another solution? I tried "usoclient RefreshSettings" but this didn't work either. The change will kick in eventually (by default, automatic scans occur every 16-20 hours) but if I'm trying to, e.g., install updates during a scheduled outage then eventually isn't really good enough. Doing a scan through the API doesn't work either.

NB: I am talking about the computer group policy setting, not the user group policy setting of the same name, which very unfortunately is no longer supported in Windows 10.

:)

Harry Johnston (harry), Feb 12, 2019
  2. Allan Mej Win User

GROUP POLICIES IN WINDOWS 10

You can change Group Policies by opening Group Policy Editor first. You can open it by following these steps:

• Log in an administrator account. If you are already logged in as an administrator, proceed to step 2.
    • Press Windows + R to open Run.
    • Type gpedit.msc and press Enter.

After opening Group Policy Editor, you can now make the necessary changes that you want.

Should you have more concerns, feel free to post.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Feb 12, 2019
  3. GROUP POLICIES IN WINDOWS 10

Just what i needed thank you.

johnapplegateVV, Feb 12, 2019
  4. Turning off the "Remove access to use all Windows Update features" group policy

Couldn't connect to windows group policy service????

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing as with error: Couldn't connect to windows group policy service, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know when exactly you received this error code?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted user profile, User Profile Service or Group Policy Client service stopped working, or Antivirus software conflicts.

I suggest you to check with the following and check if it helps.

Group Policy Client service, this service is responsible for applying settings configured by administrators for the computers and users through the Group Policy component. If the service is disabled
    the settings will be applied and applications and components will not be manageable through Group Policy.

Step 1: Stop the Group Policy Client service.

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Stop.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: Start
    the service and set it to Automatic:

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Properties.
    • Start the service, set
      Startup type to Automatic.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 12, 2019
Thema:

Turning off the "Remove access to use all Windows Update features" group policy

1. Turning off the "Remove access to use all Windows Update features" group policy - Similar Threads - Turning off Remove

2. Turning off group policy in Win 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turning off group policy in Win 7: Or, how can I at least reset gp back to the defaults? I took ownership of a program, and after that, I get random group policy errors. Or how can I reliquance ownership of that file?...
  3. Turning off group policy in Win 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turning off group policy in Win 7: Or, how can I at least reset gp back to the defaults? I took ownership of a program, and after that, I get random group policy errors. Or how can I reliquance ownership of that file?...
  4. "This app is turned off by group policy" on Windows 8.1

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "This app is turned off by group policy" on Windows 8.1: Hi, I'm trying to update my Windows 8.1 laptop to Windows 10, but sadly I'm having an error completing the installation. I think its because of my Windows Defender being turned off. I also tried removing McAfee Antivirus using the McAfee Removal Tool. Beyond that, I'm also...
  5. windows defender turned off by group policy

windows defender turned off by group policy: i have an HP laptop, and when i try enabling Windows Defender, it just doesnt let me... i tried many different solutions that are commonly known, but I’m not able to try a specific one since when i type group policy on start nothing shows up please someone help...
  6. window defender turns off by group policy

window defender turns off by group policy: i really want help because i unable to turn on window defender which shows turnoff by group policy plz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/window-defender-turns-off-by-group-policy/05d50a9e-c7ec-46ed-9331-5d9b3ecbea67
  7. windows defender turn off by group policy:

windows defender turn off by group policy:: how can I on my windows defender? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-turn-off-by-group-policy/2491d75a-40f4-48ad-9af2-60106a7cb07b
  8. Windows defender turned off by group policy and cannot be updated

Windows defender turned off by group policy and cannot be updated: My windows defender was switched off by group policy. i followed a procedure to switch it on and now i cannot update my windows defender when connected to the internet. Cloud based protection too cannot be switced on. Any help ......
  9. Defender turned off in group policy

Defender turned off in group policy: defender is currently off and when i try to turn on it says its set off in group policy. I am not sure how this happened but i cant turn it on again. gpedit isnt available on my home version of windows so how did it get turned off in the first place? 66403
  10. Windows defender is "Turned off by Group Policy"

Windows defender is "Turned off by Group Policy": Hey! I am using Windows 10 Pro. When I launch Windows Defender, it tells that this program had been turned off by group policy. I tried to run as administrator and reinstall Windows Defender, but the problem still persists 87057

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove access to use all wndows update features

2. Turn off access to all Windows Update features blocked