Windows 10: turning off touchpad mouse when using external mouse

Discus and support turning off touchpad mouse when using external mouse in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Since the last update yesterday, I can no longer find where or how to turn off the touchpad mouse. Previous to the update, I had the internal mouse... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SandraGillion, Aug 8, 2019.

1. turning off touchpad mouse when using external mouse

Since the last update yesterday, I can no longer find where or how to turn off the touchpad mouse. Previous to the update, I had the internal mouse turned off when an external device is present. Now I cannot turn the touchpad mouse off. I've tried FN-F7, I've looked under everything listed under Control Panel and still cannot find how to do this.

:)

SandraGillion, Aug 8, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Disable Touchpad and use External mouse

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to disable the TouchPad of your laptop and want to use an external USB mouse.

To use an external USB mouse, please connect the USB mouse to any USB port on your laptop and it will be set up automatically.

To disable the touchpad you can try the following steps and check if that helps:

1. Press and hold Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Device manager from the list.
    3. Expand Mice and other pointing devices.
    4. Find Synaptics SMBus TouchPad/ELANClickpad touchpad.
    5. Right click on the driver and select Disable.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 8, 2019
  3. Deactivate touchpad when external mouse is active

Hi David,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if there is change in system settings.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information:

• When you say that "and the touchpad setting to disable when external mouse attached has disappeared from settings.", what are the settings available under mouse and touchpad settings?
    • Are you able to see Touchpad option under mouse and touchpad settings?
    • Are you able to recognized which are the recent Windows updates installed on the computer?

If you like to disable touchpad, then I suggest you to refer to the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Then type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes and hit on
    Enter Key

3. Expand Mice and other pointing devices.

4. Right click on the touchpad driver and click on Disable.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Aug 8, 2019
  4. turning off touchpad mouse when using external mouse

Disabling trackpad when external mouse is active

I have an ASUS laptop running Win10. The touchpad gestures sometimes accidentally activate and make a hash of my typing. I wish to use an external mouse and disable trackpad automatically when that mouse is active. Your advice says:

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Select Ease of Access.
    3. Click Touchpad.
    4. Under Touchpad, toggle the switch on or off.
    5. You can also uncheck the box beside Leave touchpad on the when a mouse is connectedoption to disable it when you use a traditional mouse.
    Once done with the steps above, check if the issue will persist.

As you no doubt know, these instructions are WRONG. There is no toggle switch under touchpad, and no option to toggle touchpad off when using external mouse.

I allow WIN10 to update. It is updated.

So what is the secret? And why is it a secret?

Editorsteve1, Aug 8, 2019
Thema:

turning off touchpad mouse when using external mouse

1. turning off touchpad mouse when using external mouse - Similar Threads - turning off touchpad

2. Mouse touchpad jittering when used

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse touchpad jittering when used: Heya folks, So, I've been having some problems with my laptop after having to buy a new charger. I have a Medion Erazer and have had it for a number of years, never had any problems before now. My old charger finally gave out on me about a month ago and I ordered a new one....
  3. How to turn off touchpad when mouse is plugged in?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off touchpad when mouse is plugged in?: For a Dell Latitude 6430 ATG .. the latest windows 10 sept 2022 .. No way to turn off the touchpad when the mouse is plugged in using Control Panel. The option to do that is no longer there......
  4. How to turn off touchpad when mouse is plugged in?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off touchpad when mouse is plugged in?: For a Dell Latitude 6430 ATG .. the latest windows 10 sept 2022 .. No way to turn off the touchpad when the mouse is plugged in using Control Panel. The option to do that is no longer there......
  5. How to turn off touchpad when mouse is plugged in?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. If I turn off "leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected" the touchpad turns off as if...

If I turn off "leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected" the touchpad turns off as if...: I have also tried to uninstall the devices trough device manager but upon restart it stops working again. Any form of help is needed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-turn-off-leave-touchpad-on-when-a-mouse-is/36719dee-c57e-4bfe-8943-a15b054d873d
  7. Turning touchpad off when mouse is connected: Error

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turning touchpad off when mouse is connected: Error: Since I play games on laptop it's annoying when I accidentally touch the touchpad accidentally when im using my mouse, so I decided to turn this option off, but when I turn it off, if i disconnect the mouse, the touchpad doesn't work. To some people this might seem as if the...
  8. how do I turn off touchpad when using a mouse?

how do I turn off touchpad when using a mouse?: How do I turn off touchpad when using a mouse? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-off-touchpad-when-using-a-mouse/0a1882eb-8fc8-42dd-bcb8-cce22372eee4
  9. ANSWER TO HOW TO DISABLE TOUCHPAD WHEN EXTERNAL MOUSE USED

ANSWER TO HOW TO DISABLE TOUCHPAD WHEN EXTERNAL MOUSE USED: Go to DEVICE MANAGER Click on Mice and other pointing devises There should be two options listed and right click on the one that is NOT USB choice After right click choose DISABLE DEVICE...
  10. Disable Touchpad and use External mouse

Disable Touchpad and use External mouse: How do I use only the plug in mouse and not the mouse pad? * Moved from IE10/other ***Modified title from: I want to use my mouse that plugs in and not the mouse pad but can notset it up.***...