Windows 10: Turning on Ransomware Protection in Windows Security prevents File Explorer from copying...

Discus and support Turning on Ransomware Protection in Windows Security prevents File Explorer from copying... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I just reinstalled W10 v1903 on a clean hard drive and set up Ransomware Protection in Windows Security. I added folders to protect. I cleared... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MHP777, Jul 26, 2019.

1. MHP777 Win User

Turning on Ransomware Protection in Windows Security prevents File Explorer from copying...

I just reinstalled W10 v1903 on a clean hard drive and set up Ransomware Protection in Windows Security. I added folders to protect. I cleared explorer.exe as Allowed through these folders. I then attempted to copy a file from one location to another, and I get the message "Could not find the item / This is no longer located in ..." I get the option to Try Again, but the only way this works is if I turn off Ransomware Protection. I have installed other apps (such as Adobe and Office) and have no troubles saving new files. How do I get File Explorer to let me copy files from one place to another?

:)

MHP777, Jul 26, 2019
  2. trparky Win User

Say goodbye to ransomware with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Yes, ransomware will be a thing of the past with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update thanks to something called "Controlled Folder Access" in Windows Defender.

Windows 10 will hide your important files from ransomware soon | The Verge

These are protections for your files against ransomware at the kernel and Windows Defender level. Rest easy, your files are safe.

About damn time Microsoft!

trparky, Jul 26, 2019
  3. Malware and ransomware protection

First things first:

1.) If you’re using Windows Defender, then the first thing you need to do is turn on Windows Defender’s new built-in
    Ransomware Protection – known as “Controlled Folder Access” (it’s disabled by default):

Stopping ransomware where it counts: Protecting your data with Controlled folder access - Microsoft Security

Turn on the protected folders feature in Windows 10

2.) The next thing you should do is prepare for the worst by creating a backup of all of your personal files on a removable hard drive, flash drive, or recordable disk – and then disconnect the drive. If you have
    additional PCs, you can transfer your backups to those PCs. Once everything is backed up to an external device, you’re prepared to make a complete recovery in the event that your files
    are rendered inaccessible by malware or encrypted by ransomware. No one can destroy all of your personal files, or hold them hostage, if you just have your own copies of those files. It's really just that simple. So it should
    be reassuring to know that there is a surefire way to prevent the loss of import data and documents
    – because the threat landscape is evolving so rapidly that there’s really never any surefire way to prevent a malware or ransomware attack. "Back up your files" has always been the
    prime directive for any sound security strategy:

https://www.howtogeek.com/174343/ra...-is-so-dangerous-and-how-to-protect-yourself/

3.) Then, as time permits, you can go ahead and educate yourself to your heart’s content about all of the proper steps and strategies for avoiding malware and ransomware – keeping in mind, of course, that things are moving
    so fast that a good fraction of what you read will already be outdated –
    and remembering always these ancient words of wisdom: "The most profound knowledge of how to avoid pitfalls is of little use to a man trapped in a storm sewer".

GreginMich, Jul 26, 2019
Thema:

Turning on Ransomware Protection in Windows Security prevents File Explorer from copying...

1. Turning on Ransomware Protection in Windows Security prevents File Explorer from copying... - Similar Threads - Turning Ransomware Protection

2. ransomware protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ransomware protection: will microsoft defender's ransomware protection work if using avira free antivirus.avira free's ransomware protection is locked behind a paywall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/ransomware-protection/5c6595fe-f89a-4e70-816c-2aff4929aac5
  3. Turning on Ransomware protection.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turning on Ransomware protection.: How do I give myself as Administrator the rights to turn on Ransomware Protection controlling file access? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turning-on-ransomware-protection/8a5ff94c-100d-4001-b7d9-63fd762393e0
  4. Problems with Windows Security Ransomware Protection - Solved

Problems with Windows Security Ransomware Protection - Solved: Windows 10.0.19042: I've had 2 apps fail due to the way Windows Security has implemented Ransomware Protection. 1ClickDVD would not let me register a new version and Microsoft Works (Word and Spreadsheet) would only allow me to open read-only copies, stating that the copy was...
  5. WinSAT.exe blocked by Windows Security Ransomware Protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WinSAT.exe blocked by Windows Security Ransomware Protection: Windows 10 Home 1909 Protected Memory Access Blocked for WinSAT.exe Protected Folder: \Device\HarddiskVolume3 I have been having problems connecting external hard drives (that's on another thread on this forum) and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it? I've...
  6. windows security wont help with ransomware protection

windows security wont help with ransomware protection: So I was checking my security protector and it said I have not set up ransomware protection so I did exactly that I clicked the open one drive button to secure it but the button does not work and I cant set up a protection from ransomware please help. thank you...
  7. Ransomware protection

Ransomware protection: That ransomware protection that Windows Defender has might a little to over-protection. When turned on: It will not access save games from Origin and other EA games Uplay seems not the problem I find it really necessary to share this information. It seems like Win Defender...
  8. Protect yourself from Ransomware

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Protect yourself from Ransomware: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-controlled-folder-access-windows-10-fall-creators-update submitted by /u/wclinch [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fc4dp3/protect_yourself_from_ransomware/
  9. How-To Geek - Protect Your Files From Ransomware

How-To Geek - Protect Your Files From Ransomware: Windows 10 Build 19551 First, I received a How-To Geek email that linked me to this, which I read: Do You Need Anti-Ransomware Software for Your PC? Within the article was a link to this, which I also read and followed: How to Protect Your Files From Ransomware With...
  10. Windows Security Virus & thread protection warning for ransomware protection

Windows Security Virus & thread protection warning for ransomware protection: I have Windows 10 Home with all the updates installed as of 2019-11-30, 15:38 UTC. For a couple of weeks, the notification centre warning has been annoying me with asking to set up OneDrive, which I do not want to use. When I click on "Dismiss", I expect the warning to...