Windows 10: Turning on TV causes auto-switch of display output

Discus and support Turning on TV causes auto-switch of display output in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a laptop with Windows 10. I normally use the laptop screen, but I keep HDMI cable always connected to my TV since I often output movies to TV.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KaJenius, Jan 11, 2019.

1. KaJenius Win User

Turning on TV causes auto-switch of display output

I have a laptop with Windows 10. I normally use the laptop screen, but I keep HDMI cable always connected to my TV since I often output movies to TV. The problem I have is that whenever I turn on TV while I am using the computer, my laptop automatically switches display output to TV. How can I prevent it from automatically switching it to TV? Searched through all the settings but cant seem to find it.

:)

KaJenius, Jan 11, 2019

2. connecting my pc to my tv

Hi Christine,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

• First you need a video cable for making the physically connection. For better picture quality, you should connect the computer to the TV using standard VGA ports or via the DVI to HDMI cable provided your TV supports these ports.
    • Open the "display settings" in your computer and activate output to the TV screen. You can either mirror content of your computer on the TV or extend the display just like a dual monitor screen.
    • Pick up your TV remote and switch to "External Inputs" from the menu. You will need to change the default "Video 1" to a different selection which may be "HDMI 1" or "Video 2" depending on how you have made the connection.

Important: Make sure you connect the cable to the TV before turning on the computer as sometimes it may fail to recognize external display.

You may also need to change the screen resolution of your TV using the Display settings in your Control Panel else the picture may appear distorted.

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further queries. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Jan 11, 2019
  3. Arul_D Win User
    output monitor to TV

Hi John,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

If you can't see Windows on your TV, you might need to reconnect the computer to your monitor and adjust the screen resolution before you connect to your TV. If your computer doesn't support the type of video connection you need,
    then you might be able to install a new video card that has the right connection.

After you have the right cable, follow these steps to connect your computer to your TV:

a) Turn off your computer and position it within easy reach of your TV. Disconnect the monitor, but leave the mouse and keyboard connected.

b) Connect the appropriate video cable from your computer's output to your TV.

c) Turn on your TV and set it to the input that matches the output on your computer. You might need to refer to the user's guide included with your TV for instructions on how to do this.

d) Turn on your computer.

You should see Windows displayed on your TV. If the screen looks stretched, or part of the screen seems cut off, you probably need to adjust the screen resolution in Windows. For more information, see
    Getting the best display on your monitor.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for any further issue on Windows Operating System. We will be happy to help you.

Arul_D, Jan 11, 2019
  4. Jessen P Win User

Laptopc can´t connect to TV

Hi,

Please reply to the questions mentioned below in order to assist you in a better way.

• Are you connecting the PC and TV using a HDMI cable?
    • Did you make any changes prior to the issue?

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

• First you need a video cable for making the physically connection. For better picture quality, you should connect the computer to the TV using standard VGA ports or via the DVI to HDMI cable provided your TV supports these ports.
    • Open the "display settings" in your computer and activate output to the TV screen. You can either mirror content of your computer on the TV or extend the display just like a dual monitor screen.
    • Pick up your TV remote and switch to "External Inputs" from the menu. You will need to change the default "Video 1" to a different selection which may be "HDMI 1" or "Video 2" depending on how you have made the connection.

Important: Make sure you connect the cable to the TV before turning on the computer as sometimes it may fail to recognize external display.

You may also need to change the screen resolution of your TV using the Display settings in your Control Panel else the picture may appear distorted.

Please revert if you face any issues with PC not connecting to TV.

Jessen P, Jan 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Turning on TV causes auto-switch of display output - Similar Threads - Turning causes auto

2. Auto-switching networks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Auto-switching networks: Setting up Windows 10 (1803) Dell laptop and wish to use personal hotspot over Bluetooth when away, but when back home Windows 10 automatically connects up to use Wi-Fi. The hotspot thing is done. i'm just trying to figure out how to auto connect to Wifi when in range and...
  3. Switching displays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switching displays: I often switch my display from my computer monitor to my TV screen by selecting Extend these Displays in Display Settings. There are two different ways this will work: 1. All screen contents i.e., all open windows, and controls switch to the alternate screen, i.e., TV...
  4. TV Display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    TV Display: How to I connect Windows 10 laptop to display on TV using HDMI https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/tv-display/085a18f1-272e-4af9-9b99-30df070b7dbc
  5. HDMI switch to switch output from Windows 10

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HDMI switch to switch output from Windows 10: I am using a ToGeeKa 2:1 HDMI switch to switch output from Windows 10 and my Chromebook to my monitor. I also use another switcher for USB and sound outputs. The problem is that when I change from Windows to Chrome, turning off the desktop Windows computer, the computer gets...
  6. Auto login then switch user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Auto login then switch user: Hello, I use wake on lan to boot my pc to access and use it remotely. On Windows 7 I remember being able to auto log on with the set password to my account and then have it switch users right away so it was still password protected but my remote connecting software would...
  7. Main display switches

Main display switches: Hello - this might possibly be a bit outside of the Windows discussion since I run Windows 7 on a RH Linux laptop (it's a work requirement), but I'll ask since I have not been able to figure this out or find a solution anywhere. I use 3 monitors - laptop is #1 and I use #2...
  8. Build 1709 stopped HDMI output to TV

Build 1709 stopped HDMI output to TV: Hi all, my partner's laptop recently upgraded itself to build 1709, since then, my TV can't display any content from the laptop. Before the update, it worked fine, after the update nothing. The TV displays an error message stating that the resolution is not supported and the...
  9. TV switches from 1080p to 1080i

TV switches from 1080p to 1080i: I'm using an RCA 55" LED Smart TV on my rig to play games. This was not an issue in windows 7. Going fullscreen on some games causes my display to switch from 1080p to 1080i. It's very annoying. I have been using autohotkey with a force full screen ahk but it doesn't seem...
  10. Dual Monitor/TV set up turns off both displays when TV turns on

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual Monitor/TV set up turns off both displays when TV turns on: Hi guys, I have a Dell 23" monitor that i have been using on my desktop PC, i recently tried to connect my old TV with HDMI to it with HDMI to HDMI cable as a dual monitor set up or just to use as my default screen when watching movies. When I plug in my Dell monitor...