Windows 10: Turning Windows Firewall off changes Network discovery File sharing on

Discus and support Turning Windows Firewall off changes Network discovery File sharing on in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've recently upgraded to windows 10. I use Bitdefender 2015, and have installed the latest compatible version for windows 10, after uninstalling... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by invertedzero, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Turning Windows Firewall off changes Network discovery File sharing on

I've recently upgraded to windows 10. I use Bitdefender 2015, and have installed the latest compatible version for windows 10, after uninstalling previous using their uninstall tool, and also doing a repair.

In the Security and Maintenance panel it states Windows Firewall is off and Bitdefender Firewall is on.

In the Windows Firewall panel however, it states that for Private Networks and Guest and Public networks, Windows Firewall is turned on. (I'm using Public)

When I try to disable Windows Firewall, it turns on Network Discovery and File Sharing however, which I do not want.
    When I turn Network Discovery and File Sharing back off again, it turns Windows Firewall back on, BUT only in the Security and Maintenance panel.

For me, this is very confusing and I don't know whether Windows Firewall is actually on or not, and why I can't change discovery and sharing settings without changing firewall / vice versa. If one's needed for the other I thought it would be disabled, not change the other automatically

Would be grateful for any help or knowledge about this. Thanks

Turning Windows Firewall off changes Network discovery File sharing on [​IMG]

:)

invertedzero, Aug 7, 2015

2. Windows Firewall automatic changes Network and File ShearingSettings

I have third party Anti Virus E scan and Firewall. So I disable Windows Firewall. But whenever I disable Windows Firewall, Network discovery and sharing settings are automatically on. same as when I Enable Windows Firewall, Network discovery and sharing
    settings are automatically set off. This is a very bizarre situation. I want to set Network discovery and file sharing settings in OFF and to continue with ESCAN Firewall. Please suggest me what should i do.

pintuchhetry, Aug 7, 2015
  3. AnonAAA Win User
    Windows firewall settings clash with windows sharing setting - cannot switch both off

There doesn't seem to be a discussion/solution that explains this problem yet in the forum. I found out that the windows firewall on/off setting clashes with the advanced sharing settings (under network and sharing center). There doesn't seem to be a discussion/solution
    that explains this problem and how to fix it yet on this forum.

There is a problem with turning the windows firewall off and turning sharing off at the same time. I am running another firewall program and do not need windows firewall to be running at the same time.

- Switching the firewall off will automatically switch network discovery and file/printer sharing on.

- Switching network discovery/file sharing off will automatically turn the windows firewall on.

Manually disabling the windows firewall service as described in this
    threa
    d breaks directory permissions for non-admin users which causes applications to fail to run. It also causes some installations/updates to fail to run.

Its not an caused by corrupt files or virus/malware. I've clean installed Win10 several times to work on the issue.

So how do I fix the problem?

AnonAAA, Aug 7, 2015
  4. Turning Windows Firewall off changes Network discovery File sharing on

Delete all protocols, keep only IPv4/6, it should prevent Network Discovery and File Sharing.

Additionally you can disable network sharing services, run CMD as admin, enter all and restart:

sc config ALG start= disabled
    sc config LanmanServer start= disabled
    sc config LanmanWorkstation start= disabled
    sc config SSDPSRV start= disabled
    sc config WebClient start= disabled

TairikuOkami, Aug 7, 2015
  5. hawkman Win User
    IF you turn of network discovery you WILL NOT be able to connect automatically to any other PC/printer/smartPhone!!!

Goodbye local network

After thinking about this a bit more im wondering if BitDef is only enabled on your Public network, as i have not seen the options available within Bitdef set-up mode, this might by another option to look at.

Roy

hawkman, Aug 7, 2015
  6. Thanks TairikuOkamiandhawkman

I am looking through these services now. I'm still a bit unsure why I have to manually do this when with Windows 7 I didn't appear to have the same issue. I also may want to re-enable these services at a later point for sharing. How would I tell if Bitdefender is only enabled on the Public network?

Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie to all this. Does Windows Firewall directly manage sharing and network discovery services? are they linked together, do the sharing services use windows firewall to now block this? How do i get Bitdefender to control this?

invertedzero, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Turning Windows Firewall off changes Network discovery File sharing on

1. Turning Windows Firewall off changes Network discovery File sharing on - Similar Threads - Turning Firewall off

2. Network Discovery is turned off...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Discovery is turned off...: One of my mini PC's a Beelink U55 kept getting this error msg stating that the network discovery is turned off, and I would lose connection to my NAS. However when checking network discovery in Advanced sharing settings, it was still turned on. I had researched several...
  3. network discovery is turned off.

network discovery is turned off.: I have the message "network discovery is turned off. Network computers and devices are not visable. Please turn on network discovery in Network and sharing Centre". How do I do this?...
  4. Network Discovery & File Sharing refuse to stay ON

Network Discovery & File Sharing refuse to stay ON: Hi, When I select Network Discovery and File Sharing as ON, and click 'Save Chages', here.. (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings) When I open the settings again (even immediately), the selection is back to OFF. I even did...
  5. network discovery turned off message

in Windows 10 Customization
    network discovery turned off message: Why would I turn ON network discovery? I am sole user of this computer, connected to nothing except a mouse and a printer...no other computer. Surely the smart tv is not included in network discovery settings? The message suddenly popped up a moment ago so would be pleased...
  6. Message received: network discovery turned off

Message received: network discovery turned off: I am the sole user of a single pc, not connected to other pcs. Connected to printer and smart Tv. My pc turned itself on during the night, displayed this message: "Network discovery is turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. Click to change in Network...
  7. Network discovery is turned off and not turning on in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Network discovery is turned off and not turning on in Windows 10: [ATTACH]When connected in the same network as other devices, you can share the files and settings of your Windows 10 computer with the other connected […] This article Network discovery is turned off and not turning on in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  8. Network Discovery turning off

Network Discovery turning off: I am a Windows Admin and there is a user who is using a Dell 5530 Laptop running Win10 Pro 10.0.17763. She has access to domain network shared files. When she has the shared files open and the computer locks up, after a length of time and unlocks the computer, the files are...
  9. Network discovery and sharing turned on Windows 10

Network discovery and sharing turned on Windows 10: Hello all, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to network security and so I ask for your help. I have recently bought a new computer and made sure when connecting to my WiFi to connect to a public network and ensure that network discovery is turned off. All the...
  10. Turn On or Off Network Discovery in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Network Discovery in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Network Discovery in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Network Discovery in Windows 10 By default, the first time you connect to a new network (wired or wireless), you will be prompted "Do you want to allow your PC to be discoverable by other PCs...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. no network access after turning on network firewall

2. turning network discovery back on after windows firewall

3. windows 7 turning off network discovery turns on the firewall