Windows 10: Twice now Windows 10 has re-enabled Windows Update and restarted my system. How do I...

Discus and support Twice now Windows 10 has re-enabled Windows Update and restarted my system. How do I... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Both times I was in the middle of some important multi-day data crunching. I've checked event viewer, filtering for ID 1074 , 6006 and 6008 and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jonathan Cel, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Twice now Windows 10 has re-enabled Windows Update and restarted my system. How do I...

Both times I was in the middle of some important multi-day data crunching.

I've checked event viewer, filtering for ID 1074 , 6006 and 6008 and it appears RuntimeBroker has requested the shutdown on behalf of Windows Update - Which was disabled.

To be clear: I would rather this machine was a zombie botnet node than ever restart. They can 0-day their way to my bandwidth all they want, I just need the CPU cores. I need only a few KB of connectivity to check progress and understand the security risks. No lecture please.

How do I completely disable whatever mechanism re-enables windows update?

Secondly, is there grounds for a class action lawsuit here as this was not the fault of the software but a deliberate and planned action carried out manually by Microsoft.

:)

Jonathan Cel, Nov 10, 2019
  2. Haksery Win User

Windows 10 update being enabled.

Anyway , You are luckier than me. My computer was locked directly after updated to Windows 10 . but the solution is easy.

Haksery, Nov 10, 2019
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Nov 10, 2019
  4. Twice now Windows 10 has re-enabled Windows Update and restarted my system. How do I...

Windows 10 update being enabled.

Sounds like task scheduler forces it to restart, course in svc.msc i make sure to deselect it from restarting after it fails.

eidairaman1, Nov 10, 2019
Thema:

Twice now Windows 10 has re-enabled Windows Update and restarted my system. How do I...

1. Twice now Windows 10 has re-enabled Windows Update and restarted my system. How do I... - Similar Threads - Twice has enabled

2. How do I restart my windows computer and select an operating system?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I restart my windows computer and select an operating system?: My computer was showing "Activate windows" on the monitor for a year now. To try and fix the problem, I added a new key in settings. The only problem was that it was a windows 10 enterprise key and I use windows 10 professional. My computer went into safe mode and resetting...
  3. I disabled windows 10 update/now how do I re-enable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I disabled windows 10 update/now how do I re-enable: I disabled windows 10 update/now how do I re-enable it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update/1acc6efa-d078-4639-862a-0a9edda69ab8
  4. How to re enable my monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to re enable my monitor: Help, I think I’ve ruined hubbys pc! I was trying to connect a second monitor on windows 10. Tried to update display on device manager. Didn’t work. On a forum someone suggested rather than update to disable then re enable but once I pressed disabled the screen went black and...
  5. How to re enable my monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    How to re enable my monitor: Help, I think I’ve ruined hubbys pc! I was trying to connect a second monitor on windows 10. Tried to update display on device manager. Didn’t work. On a forum someone suggested rather than update to disable then re enable but once I pressed disabled the screen went black and...
  6. How to re-enable Windows Defender?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to re-enable Windows Defender?: I was trying to help someone who was recently scammed. One thing they did to the computer was disable Windows Defender. When I opened the main screen where you usually see "Your device is being protected", I see a blank screen. I noticed in Services, Windows Defender Security...
  7. How do I prevent Windows 10 from re-enabling a disabled device?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I prevent Windows 10 from re-enabling a disabled device?: We have a laptop that has a bad touchscreen. The rest of the machine is fine but the touchscreen takes over the system. When we disable it, the user is able to work on the system just fine. But if they log off or reboot (or Microsoft does one of those forced updates we can't...
  8. How do I re-enable Cortana?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I re-enable Cortana?: I have disabled and renamed the folder of cortana, knowing not what I was doing and now I can't use the search function. I really need this for what I do. I thought I could close Cortana without getting rid of the search function, but I guess it did. *cry Now, I don't know...
  9. How do I re-enable OneDrive in Win 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I re-enable OneDrive in Win 10?: Hi all I deactivated OneDrive when I installed Win 10 last year as I was paying for Dropbox Pro and didn't need OneDrive duplicating cloud services. I've now cancelled my Dropbox sub as I have a year free of OneDrive, but I can't work out how to re-enable OneDrive in...
  10. How do I enable system protection on my secondary HDD?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I enable system protection on my secondary HDD?: I have disable system protection on my primary (C:\) which is an SSD. When trying to enable system protection on my 1TB HDD (E:\), the option is simply greyed out. I had hoped to save writes on my SSD to increase it's lifespan, and it appears to be recommended in...