Windows 10: Twin drives configured as Raid 1 shows as separate drivers after Windows update

Discus and support Twin drives configured as Raid 1 shows as separate drivers after Windows update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Windows 10 PC with twin hard drives set up in Raid 1 format (ie any saved files save to both drives). Separate SSD for C Drive which holds any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Guitar96, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Guitar96 Win User

Twin drives configured as Raid 1 shows as separate drivers after Windows update

Hi

Windows 10 PC with twin hard drives set up in Raid 1 format (ie any saved files save to both drives). Separate SSD for C Drive which holds any programmes.

My Raid Drives are both drive D and show as two separate folders named "Raid 1 (DTwin drives configured as Raid 1 shows as separate drivers after Windows update :)" in the file explorer.

When I save a file, it saves to both drives.

Since the latest Windows update, one of my Raid drives has changed from D drive to L drive (shows as "Raid 1 (LTwin drives configured as Raid 1 shows as separate drivers after Windows update :)" in file explorer).

When I save a file now, it only saves to the D drive.

Is there a guide anywhere which helps me to understand how to rectify this please?

I guess it is about mapping ??????

Many thanks.

***Modified title from: Twin Drives Set up as Raid 1 format now show as Two separate drives following latest W10 Update. Help please Twin drives configured as Raid 1 shows as separate drivers after Windows update :)***

:)

Guitar96, Feb 14, 2019
  2. suraswami Win User

Raid 1 Questions - Help Is Needed Quick !!!

Like the other guy said, backup and RMA it.

Step 1. Backup or store all the info to another external drive or source.
    Step 2. Put Drive 2 (after getting replacment drive for drive 1) along with Drive 1
    Step 3. Thru Bios Configure the drives to be part of Raid Group and specify Raid 1. So it will warn you about data loss. After conforming to that message its going to format both drives and group them as Raid 1.
    Step 4. Try to partition the drive if possible from with bios utility.
    Step 5. Install windows on first partition (it may ask for drivers)
    Step 6. If Windows XP SP 1 it will recognize the whole full 320GB. So finish installing the OS and update to SP2.
    Step 7. Go into Computer management and add the extra partition to the OS or u can partition into how many ever and add it.
    Step 8. May be you need to install Seagate optimize tool to see the full size of the drive.

Good luck.

suraswami, Feb 14, 2019
  3. fatmike23 Win User
    Windows 7 Asus M2A-VM Raid Drivers

I understand what a .exe file does but it needs to load as a driver at the beginning of the windows installation. Windows needs the right driver so that raid 0 will work. I have a diploma in Computer Systems at a recognized college so I am not an idiot. I picked up my hardware manual and I am doing this right. I will describe my steps:

- 2 x HDD's plugged into slot 1 and 2 (color coded) and unplugged 500gig HDD (slot 3)
    - enter BIOS, set SATA/RAID enabled
    - save and exit BIOS
    - restarts, ctrl-F to enter raid controller
    - create raid array 0 by deleting logical drives and create a new array
    - ctrl-F utility recognizes the raid 0 configuration
    *** These steps above work wonderfully for windows XP and Vista raid 0. I had the right drivers, and it loaded just fine.
    - Enter Windows RC 1 setup
    - new custom install option
    - no HDD's listed at all (because no drivers are loaded for RAID)
    - "Load Driver" button - selected your 32-bit link .exe driver. "driver no found"
    *** I confirmed in windows that the .exe is in the disk and I did a data check after burning it without a problem
    *** The load driver button works wonderfully in XP and Vista for raid 0, that rules out everything but a faulty driver.

I was kind of disappointed that the .exe did not work. This isn't rocket science. I say it is the driver. Any assistance is appreciated!

fatmike23, Feb 14, 2019
  4. jimbo45 Win User

RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives

Hi there.

Is the RAID driver recognised - with all these W10 updates who knows what happens.

If it's a Hardware RAID card then check BIOS setting at boot. Also there will probably be some sort of RAID boot menu - for example setting up Logical drives / striping etc etc.

If it's software ensure RAID driver is recognized.

The chances are that Windows doesn't recognize the RAID card so that's where I'd start from. Backup though data on the RAID HDD's first because a suggestion would be to unplug the RAID card and re-insert again after a total POWER OFF. If you can put it into a different slot. You want Windows to recognize the hardware.

Before doing these types of updates I'd always image the system - things like Macrium are ideal for that. Then if the update hoses up your system just restore the previous image.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Twin drives configured as Raid 1 shows as separate drivers after Windows update - Similar Threads - Twin drives configured

2. Raid 0 only showing 1 drive, other is showing as unallocated

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Raid 0 only showing 1 drive, other is showing as unallocated: I Just recently reimaged my precision 7530 laptop with Raid 0 using 2 512GB drives, it was just getting very laggy, but was working ok, and the Raid 0 was also working just fine as well. After several failed attempts to get the install to even see both drives, windows...
  3. Raid 1 Drives disappeared in Win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Raid 1 Drives disappeared in Win10: I am using a Dell T-130 server running Windows 10 pro since 2017. The machine is setup to use RAID in the bios. there is a C: drive that the machine boots from and there are 3 identical 1.8T drives that are in a RAID 1 config. These show as D: drive. There is also a DVR RW...
  4. Configuring RAID 1 on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Configuring RAID 1 on Windows 10: I have read that Win 10 has the software to run a RAID 1 without a controller but it wasn't an option in Disk Management on my Windows 10 Home edition. Is this only a Win 10 Pro feature? If I buy an upgrade to convert my Home edition to Pro will 'mirroring' capability be...
  5. How do I get both drives to show in W expl with RAID 1 configuration?

How do I get both drives to show in W expl with RAID 1 configuration?: Hi. I ordered my computer with two hard drives configured in Raid 1 (mirror) format two years ago. This has worked perfectly well. In windows explorer, both drives showed (with different drive letters). After a problem with the PC recently, I reloaded W10 from scratch and...
  6. How do I get both drives to show in W expl with RAID 1 configuration?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I get both drives to show in W expl with RAID 1 configuration?: Hi. I ordered my computer with two hard drives configured in Raid 1 (mirror) format two years ago. This has worked perfectly well. In windows explorer, both drives showed (with different drive letters). After a problem with the PC recently, I reloaded W10 from scratch and...
  7. Twin Drives Set up as Raid 1 format now show as Two separate drives following latest W10...

Twin Drives Set up as Raid 1 format now show as Two separate drives following latest W10...: Hi Windows 10 PC with twin hard drives set up in Raid 1 format (ie any saved files save to both drives). Separate SSD for C Drive which holds any programmes. My Raid Drives are both drive D and show as two separate folders named "Raid 1 (D:)" in the file explorer. When...
  8. Unable to boot computer having RAID configuration after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot computer having RAID configuration after update: I posted before the holidays and due to travel, did not have a chance to fix before the holidays. Please send me a link to get this OS Booting again. The OS is on my RAID drive. If I need to download a driver for my Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID, please let me know...
  9. HH drive shows as intel raid 1 volume do not have raid set up

HH drive shows as intel raid 1 volume do not have raid set up: I have 2 Samsung SSD (one boot) and one wd caviar black hdd that use for other storage. No raid is set. In bios it shows the correct model for the 3 but in the device manager the HDD shows as intel raid 1 volume. The size and everything is correct for the drive. Although I...
  10. Renaming Drives in RAID 1 Configuration - Necessary Drive Letter Shows

Renaming Drives in RAID 1 Configuration - Necessary Drive Letter Shows: I have a dual Raid 1 configuration with (2) identical 500GB (C*Smile and 1TB (D*Smile drives. When connecting my (2) external hard drives, one of which needs to be named (F*Smile (I have numerous files, folders, icons and programs linked to it), I see that (E*Smile and...