Windows 10: Two computers, one cannot see the other on the network. Can see media devices though.

Discus and support Two computers, one cannot see the other on the network. Can see media devices though. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two computers running W10 on a network at home. Both connect to the Internet fine through a router. Both have sharing on, and network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Eric Dockum, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Two computers, one cannot see the other on the network. Can see media devices though.

I have two computers running W10 on a network at home. Both connect to the Internet fine through a router.

Both have sharing on, and network discovery plus auto setup of network connected devices selected for the active profile.

One is 192.168.100.102 and the other is 192.168.100.103. I will call them Alan and Brian for short.

I have a problem that Alan cannot see Brian in Explorer. Brian is not listed as a computer and does not appear in the network tree.

BUT Alan can see a Media device on Brian.

Alan can see all the other devices attached to the network like printers.

Brian can see Alan as a computer and also as a Media device. Brian can access files and folders on Alan.

Alan and everything else is attached to "Network 3" except Brian, who is attached to "Network 2". I don't know if this is significant.

How do I persuade Alan to look at Brian and show him in Explorer? something not consistent somewhere but I need help finding it.

Any Suggestions?

:)

Eric Dockum, Sep 13, 2018

2. Network notwork - computers listed as media devices. 1803 again!

Notwork of 3 computers, Win 10, all patched to v1803, D is pro, hard wired to router, E is wife's desk and R is new portable - both 10-home on Wi-Fi.

R is new, an Asus SonicMaster S510U that is recognized by the router. It has internet connectivity but I cannot transfer files to it except with sneakernet.

I looked at the network structure on each computer using "Control Panel devices and printers" as well as File mgr - Network.

D- devices: D and E listed as media devices, no computers, D does not see R.
    D- Network: D and E listed as media devices. Dbl click either brings up Media Player.

E- devices: D and R listed as media devices.
    E- Network: D and E listed as computers and D again as a media device.

R- devices: D and E show up as media devices.
    R- Network: R as a computer and D as a media device.

The new laptop R is a ghost, sometimes seen but mostly not and doesn't participate.

Using Team Viewer 12
    D and E connect, test file transfers OK.
    D and R connect, I can see partial R desktop (shows links but not folders), R sees D file structure, files will not transfer.

Don't know if this matters - I ran the Network troubleshooter on all three computers - "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings", on any of them.

I'm a geologist at wits end.

stonecherub, Sep 13, 2018
  3. Workgroup Computers are displayed as Media Devices

I have several Win10 computers on a "WORKGROUP" network. Network location is set to private on all machines with network discovery and file and printer sharing activated. Two computers are listed as workgroup computers and two as media devices. What do I have to do in order to get the media devices to show up as workgroup computers?

MisterD2016, Sep 13, 2018
  4. Two computers, one cannot see the other on the network. Can see media devices though.

Computer appears on network only as Media Device

I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop, whose files I want to share over a network. This was possible until the recent OS revisions. I have followed the current instructions for file sharing/networking--setting permissions, etc. On both computers
    only the desktop appears in File Explorer listed under Network/Computer(s). The laptop appears only under Media Devices and I am unable to access any but media (video, music and picture) files. Any assistance would be appreciated.

TerryPetersen1, Sep 13, 2018
Thema:

Two computers, one cannot see the other on the network. Can see media devices though.

1. Two computers, one cannot see the other on the network. Can see media devices though. - Similar Threads - computers cannot network

2. Computer cannot see wifi but can see other networks.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer cannot see wifi but can see other networks.: My computer will not see my wifi network but will see others around me. Router is seen by phone and streaming devices. Network troubleshooter doesn't help. Connecting via Network cable works but I need wireless connectivity....
  3. Computer cannot see wifi but can see other networks.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer cannot see wifi but can see other networks.: My computer will not see my wifi network but will see others around me. Router is seen by phone and streaming devices. Network troubleshooter doesn't help. Connecting via Network cable works but I need wireless connectivity....
  4. Computer cannot see wifi but can see other networks.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. SOLUTION for Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SOLUTION for Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.: I had the same problem and the fix is to delete the Trigger for FDResPub as follows:Delete The Trigger For FDResPubDeleting trigger for Function Discovery Resource Publication service to fix the network computer not showing up issues.Open the command prompt with administrator...
  6. SOLUTION for Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SOLUTION for Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.: I had the same problem and the fix is to delete the Trigger for FDResPub as follows:Delete The Trigger For FDResPubDeleting trigger for Function Discovery Resource Publication service to fix the network computer not showing up issues.Open the command prompt with administrator...
  7. SOLUTION for Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.

8. Cannot see home network but can see other networks

Cannot see home network but can see other networks: My WiFi network is no longer showing up on my Windows 10 PC. I have checked to make sure all discovery is on and I can see other networks but not my Home Network. I have 20 other device connected so I know it is not the router and I have another Windows 10 machine connected....
  9. Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.

Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.: I have windows 10 - updated with the latest software. Network adapter drivers are the latest. I am connected via eithernet or Wifi and have the SAME issue. I enabled the settings to allow network discovery and to be seen on the network for private networks. Both Wifi and...
  10. Connecting Computers on a Network (one computer cannot see the others)

Connecting Computers on a Network (one computer cannot see the others): Hello, We have 5 computers in a Network that we use to create CAD files for our laser cutter. Previously we had the laser cutting computer (which I'll call 'F) linked in so we could wing files back and forth to the laser, but we had to get it repaired. When we connected it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. on one computer all printers devices and computers show up on the network the other computer shows all devices and no computers on the network