Windows 10: Two identical 500gb drives in my desktop Dell xps 8300 show up as one 1tb C drive

Discus and support Two identical 500gb drives in my desktop Dell xps 8300 show up as one 1tb C drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I wanted to clone my old C drive to a new SSD. I was surprised to find 2 HDDs! Pulling the power from either gives a no boot drive error. Disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CarlMSmith, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Two identical 500gb drives in my desktop Dell xps 8300 show up as one 1tb C drive

I wanted to clone my old C drive to a new SSD. I was surprised to find 2 HDDs!

Pulling the power from either gives a no boot drive error.

Disk info shows this "C" drive is simple basic, which I believe means not in a RAID

configuration. There is no mention of RAID devices in Device Manager.

Can anybody explain this? I can't find any answers in my searches. It must have come

this way from Dell- 7 years ago. Maybe that's how you got 1 tb back then.

I hate to start over with a new installation on my SSD. I have dozens of extensive (and

expensive) programs to reinstall that way. Help!

Carl

:)

CarlMSmith, Jul 22, 2019

2. Upgrade suggestions XPS 8300

Installing a third-party motherboard in a Dell PC can be a bit tricky. Fortunately, the XPS 8300 is fairly normal. Having said that, here are some issues to watch out for:
    • The motherboard that you've chosen won't fit in that chassis. The Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z170 is full ATX, and the XPS 8300 will only take micro ATX boards.
    • The front-panel connector in the XPS 8300 is one block, as opposed to individual connectors for power switch, drive LED, etc. You will either have to find a motherboard with a matching pinout for Dell's front panel connector, or break out the Dell connector into the correct pairs to match your new motherboard's header.
    • You won't be able to use your new motherboard's USB 3.0 front panel connector because the XPS 8300's chassis doesn't have any USB 3.0 ports on the front.
    Honestly, if you're going to do this much of an upgrade, I recommend leaving the XPS 8300 as-is and building a new PC. You'll end up with nice machine that has all standard parts instead of having to jump through hoops to accommodate Dell's oddities and shortcomings.

Mike

Static~Charge, Jul 22, 2019
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Possible Windows 10 update for a Dell XPS 8300--Not tested by Dell

Hi Perron,

Dell XPS 8300 is not tested for Windows 10. However you can install Windows 10 provided some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected. You may install drivers in Compatibility mode and check; for further issues
    with functionality I suggest you to contact Dell support.

Refer the links below.

Link 1:
    XPS 8300

Link 2:
    Dell support

Link 3:
    Windows 10 Specifications

Do let us know if you have further quires. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jul 22, 2019
  4. Treblig41 Win User

Two identical 500gb drives in my desktop Dell xps 8300 show up as one 1tb C drive

Dell XPS 8300 bluetooth problem with Windows 10 upgrade

Since upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 over 3 months ago the inbuilt Bluetooth that came with the Dell XPS 8300 desktop no longer works. It does not even show up in device manager. I saw too late that Dell doesn't support this model on Windows
    10, even though it was a top of the range desktop just 4 years ago. Does anyone have the same problem or, even better, have a solution please? (I've tried the suggestion of renaming the old driver file but Windows 10 says very forcibly that I don't have
    permission to do so.)

Treblig41, Jul 22, 2019
Thema:

Two identical 500gb drives in my desktop Dell xps 8300 show up as one 1tb C drive

1. Two identical 500gb drives in my desktop Dell xps 8300 show up as one 1tb C drive - Similar Threads - identical 500gb drives

2. My one ssd is showing C drive and D drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My one ssd is showing C drive and D drive?: its so annoying if i want to maybe download a game which is 35gb and if disk C has 20gb and D has 20 so that I have to delete something else to download it....
  3. My one ssd is showing C drive and D drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My one ssd is showing C drive and D drive?: its so annoying if i want to maybe download a game which is 35gb and if disk C has 20gb and D has 20 so that I have to delete something else to download it....
  4. Two virtually identical installations: C drive on one is 10GB larger

in Windows 10 Support
    Two virtually identical installations: C drive on one is 10GB larger: This is probably too elementary for words, but it's puzzling me. I have two desktops with essentially the same software installed on both, both with two SSDs, both running the same build of W10 Pro 20H2. I never install software to C if I can help it -- D is my applications...
  5. Solid State Drives - 500GB or 1TB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Solid State Drives - 500GB or 1TB: I am going to have to replace my 500 GB SSD system drive which is showing early signs of failure and I am wondering whether or not to spend a bit extra and get the 1Tbyte one. I am currently using about 60% of the SSD capacity so don't need the extra capacity for software. On...
  6. I have two ModifiableWindowsApps folders, one on my C: drive and one on my D: drive, the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I have two ModifiableWindowsApps folders, one on my C: drive and one on my D: drive, the...: I had an Xbox game on my C: drive, but after some time I uninstalled it because I needed space. Then I got a D: drive, and I installed that game in there; when the game finishes its installation, I am able to run it, but if I turn off my PC and turn it on and try to run the...
  7. Showing two user account in c drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Showing two user account in c drive: In c > users > 4 folders are there Administrator DELL MANISH Public Why this DELL is there ? But it contains appData , caches folder Because of this folder i am not able to install Eclipse IDE Please give me a solution...
  8. Dell XPS 8300 Desktop Driver issues windows 10 prof

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dell XPS 8300 Desktop Driver issues windows 10 prof: I have a Dell XPS 8300 desktop i5 model that i upgraded from win 7 prof to windows 10 prof and i an no longer able to get the drivers for my video card. It shows to have the Nvidia G72 board according to the driver details. Is there a place i can get the drivers for my video...
  9. Two One Drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two One Drives?: Just got a Windows tablet and everything is working pretty well. BUT Went to copy some files from One Drive that I had just sent from my desktop specifically for that purpose. When I logged into One Drive from the tablet it showed a whole different set of files than those I...
  10. My hard drives disappeared and storage decreased from 1tb to 500gb

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My hard drives disappeared and storage decreased from 1tb to 500gb: I am using linux in my pc and i want to change my os to windows 10. I tried to install windows 10 through legacy which already consists linux & I installed successfully.BUT AFTER INSTALLATION MY STORAGE DRIVES ONLY SHOWING ONLY 500GB REMAINING STORAGE DISAPPEARED. And its not...