Windows 10: Two identical machines, 10 second boot time difference

Discus and support Two identical machines, 10 second boot time difference in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have two identical MSI GT80 SLI machines, configured identically hardware wise and software wise also. Well, there is one difference, one has lower... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by dictum, May 4, 2021.

1. dictum Win User

Two identical machines, 10 second boot time difference

I have two identical MSI GT80 SLI machines, configured identically hardware wise and software wise also. Well, there is one difference, one has lower bandwidth RAM than the other. 17000 vs 19200. Both have 32GB. Latest-greatest 10 obviously. Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2TB is the boot disk on both. One disk was a clone of the other via Macrium. About a month ago, and since then I did configure them a bit different from each other. Install this software package or that. BIOS looks identical. powercfg is identical. startup is almost identical, in fast the fast machine has more things starting than the slower one. I did go into startup and uncheck everything thought I thought could slow it down. To no avail. The 10 second slower boot time just will not go away. The 'fast' machine gets to the login screen in 21 seconds, the 'slow' one in 31-35 seconds. Is there any easy way to tell what could cause that discrepancy. Just wondering where 10-15 seconds seconds goes every time.

:)

dictum, May 4, 2021
  2. vgchat Win User

The "boot time" that windows references is simply the time it takes for the motherboard bios to hand things over to windows. As such they call it "last BIOS time".

What you could do is dig around in the bios and remove some Boot options within it, remove the ones that you would or could never use but if you plan to boot via usb for example at some time in the future, leave that one somewhere in the list. Example for MSI.

Two identical machines, 10 second boot time difference [​IMG]

vgchat, May 4, 2021
  3. dictum Win User

I have two identical MSI GT80 SLI machines, configured identically hardware wise and software wise also.
    Well, there is one difference, one has lower bandwidth RAM than the other. 17000 vs 19200. Both have 32GB.

Latest-greatest 10 obviously.

Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2TB is the boot disk on both. One disk was a clone of the other via Macrium. About a month ago, and since then I did configure them a bit different from each other. Install this software package or that.

BIOS looks identical.
    powercfg is identical.
    startup is almost identical, in fast the fast machine has more things starting than the slower one. I did go into startup and uncheck everything thought I thought could slow it down. To no avail. The 10 second slower boot time just will not go away.

The 'fast' machine gets to the login screen in 21 seconds, the 'slow' one in 31-35 seconds.
    Is there any easy way to tell what could cause that discrepancy. Just wondering where 10-15 seconds seconds goes every time.

dictum, May 4, 2021
  4. Two identical machines, 10 second boot time difference

Hi dictum,

Both those start times are quite reasonable, however; I understand your interest in knowing exactly why they are different. This boils down to how much time are you willing to invest to potentially save 10-14 seconds. *Smile

Have you compared time to boot to Safe Mode on both PCs?

This link to a vbs script will provide a more exact boot time for comparison of regular boot times.

Restart time vbs from Seven Forums

This post references the use of Microsoft AutoRuns and Windows Performance Analyzer to help understand startup delays.

How to optimize windows10 - XP still seems faster

I would suggest starting with AutoRuns first. If you watch the video, it will direct you where to look to identify startup delays. Also, you should be able to compare both PCs configurations a bit more precisely.

Then finally, Windows Performance Analyzer will show the entire details of the boot process in a graph format. This will clearly identify what portion of the boot process is different between the two PCs.

One caveat with WPA, the volume of data produced can be a bit overwhelming. Analyzing the results in order to effect positive results can prove challenging. *Smile

W10 Tweaker, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Two identical machines, 10 second boot time difference - Similar Threads - identical machines second

2. Graphics/Default graphics settings dialogue difference in identical machines

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Graphics/Default graphics settings dialogue difference in identical machines: We're having OpenGL problems with an app running under Windows 11 using GLFW on an HP ZBook Studio 16" Mobile Workstation. Graphics adaptors are NVIDIA RTX A200 8GB and Intel Iris Xe. Drivers all updated to the very latest available. BIOS set to default values. Windows is...
  3. Graphics/Default graphics settings dialogue difference in identical machines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Graphics/Default graphics settings dialogue difference in identical machines: We're having OpenGL problems with an app running under Windows 11 using GLFW on an HP ZBook Studio 16" Mobile Workstation. Graphics adaptors are NVIDIA RTX A200 8GB and Intel Iris Xe. Drivers all updated to the very latest available. BIOS set to default values. Windows is...
  4. Different speeds for two identical USB sticks

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Different speeds for two identical USB sticks: A few months ago I bought a set of 2 SanDisk Ultra 32GB USB3 sticks, one red, one blue (easier to reference that way). They're plugged in to two USB3 ports via 1 metre USB3 cables. For some reason they transfer at different speeds. The blue one transfers 35-40MB/sec, the red...
  5. Different device times on two different computers

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Different device times on two different computers: Hello, I have my daughter set up on our family account. She has a PC for gaming and a laptop for school work. I am trying to set device limits and from what I can see I can only set up windows 10 limits and they go for both devices. Is there a way to set up certain times...
  6. Different devices times on two different computers

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Different devices times on two different computers: Hello, I have my daughter set up on our family account. She has a PC for gaming and a laptop for school work. I am trying to set device limits and from what I can see I can only set up windows 10 limits and they go for both devices. Is there a way to set up certain times...
  7. Two different Windows 10 PCs - identical consistent lockup?

in Windows 10 Support
    Two different Windows 10 PCs - identical consistent lockup?: I'll keep this simple: I've been plagued for about two years now with lock ups on waking. Intermittent - sporasic, infrequent - not every wake, but always lurking in the background ready to pounce. The style of the freeze has varied a little, but whereas before I puzzled...
  8. Two Identical Computers / Different Available Disk Space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Two Identical Computers / Different Available Disk Space: My company is test driving Intel Nuc Mini PCs to power digital sign boards. The two I have currently is for testing - if it works out well, we'll buy more. Anyhow, out of the box, I installed the 300+ updates. The SSD is only 32GB so I had to connect a USB drive to download...
  9. swap HDD between two identical machines

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    swap HDD between two identical machines: Are there any concerns swapping two SSD's running Win10 between two identical HP 840 laptops? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swap-hdd-between-two-identical-machines/6148ce6e-409c-4261-b9c3-e8ed694638de
  10. Winver shows two different versions on two machines

in Windows 10 Support
    Winver shows two different versions on two machines: I have Win 10 installed on two machines. The first, an HP Laptop, came from the factory with W10 and quickly updated itself to version 1511 OSbuild 10586 according to Winver. The second, a Dell Destop, was updated from Win 7 to Win 10 back in December and after the...