Windows 10: Two instances of Microsoft Edge show up in default browsers on 21H1

Discus and support Two instances of Microsoft Edge show up in default browsers on 21H1 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my desktop. When I was getting everything set up, I noticed there were two versions of Edge showing up in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JesseSummers2, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Two instances of Microsoft Edge show up in default browsers on 21H1

Hello, I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my desktop. When I was getting everything set up, I noticed there were two versions of Edge showing up in Default Apps in system settings. After doing a bit of research, I found a few other posts from people who had a similar issue, with answers being that it was a legacy version of Edge that'd be removed in a future update, however all but one of these was preceding 21H1, and after finding out that traces of the legacy edge are meant to be removed following an update, I installed all the latest updates on my PC and restarted, but nothing changed. Th

:)

JesseSummers2, Oct 11, 2021
  2. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft is developing a built-in ad blocker for its Edge browser

"One of the first browser add-ons many people install to improve their online experience is Adblock Plus or something similar. Until recently, Microsoft Edge's lack of support for add-ons put off a lot of would-be users, but reports from Build 2016 suggest that native ad blocking is on its way to the Internet Explorer successor.

Adblock Plus is coming to Edge, but built-in ad blocking would negate the need for such an add-on. A slide shown off and snapped at a Build presentation shows that the next version of Edge, in response to user feedback, will feature ad blocking capabilities. There's no word on delivery timescale, but the upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update would seem a likely candidate.

ZDNet's Ed Bott photographed the slide which shows Microsoft's development roadmap built around feedback from testers. Right at the top of the list is reference to plans to create a plugin and extension store for Edge, but it's entry number four that's more intriguing.

"Build ad blocking features into the browser" is listed as a Feature Request from users. But the good news is that it is not only listed as being "Deliverable 4682811", but as "Targeted for the next version".

This will no doubt come as good news for those who have fallen in love with Edge, but it's not something that will be welcomed by the likes of Adblock Plus. It does seem that, particularly in the mobile arena, there is a move to baking ad blocking into the browser so it makes sense that Microsoft is following the trend. But it is the fact that Edge straddles Windows 10 on the desktop and Windows 10 Mobile that makes this a particularly interesting move.

Keep an eye out for Insider builds in the coming weeks as the feature may be just around the corner.
    "

Forget extensions, built-in ad blocking is coming to Microsoft Edge - [UPDATE... no it's not!]

P4-630, Oct 11, 2021
  3. How to set Microsoft Edge as default browser.

Hi,

I would suggest you to try the steps below and check again.

1. Press Windows key + I to open settings.

2. Click System and click default apps.

3. Click web browser and select Microsoft edge.

Hope this helps.

Wungraileng Vashi, Oct 11, 2021
  4. Two instances of Microsoft Edge show up in default browsers on 21H1

How to set Microsoft Edge as default browser.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

A quick question before we proceed:

Are you trying to set Microsoft Edge as default browser?

If yes, I suggest you to try the steps below to make
    Microsoft Edge as default browser.

Step 1: Go to settings by typing
    Settings in the search bar next to Start button, and press
    Enter.

Step 2: Click on
    System option from the window, and select Default apps from the left side panel of the screen.

Step 3: Under
    Choose Default apps, scroll down the page, and select
    Set defaults by app.

Step 4: Select
    Microsoft Edge under Programs, and click on
    Set this program as default.

Step 5: Click
    OK. Close the window, and check if the issue is resolved.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help you further.

Anju Thekkethil, Oct 11, 2021
Thema:

Two instances of Microsoft Edge show up in default browsers on 21H1

1. Two instances of Microsoft Edge show up in default browsers on 21H1 - Similar Threads - instances Microsoft Edge

2. Microsoft Edge becomes the default browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge becomes the default browser: Installed Windows 11 February Update today. Now, every time after turning on the computer, the default browser is Microsoft Edge. I put Chrome, but after restarting system, Edge again by default. How to fix it? P.S. The reason may be that before updating, I have deleted the...
  3. Microsoft Edge becomes the default browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge becomes the default browser: Installed Windows 11 February Update today. Now, every time after turning on the computer, the default browser is Microsoft Edge. I put Chrome, but after restarting system, Edge again by default. How to fix it? P.S. The reason may be that before updating, I have deleted the...
  4. Two instances of Microsoft Edge show up in default browsers on 21H1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two instances of Microsoft Edge show up in default browsers on 21H1: Hello, I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my desktop. When I was getting everything set up, I noticed there were two versions of Edge showing up in Default Apps in system settings. After doing a bit of research, I found a few other posts from people who had a similar issue,...
  5. Two microsoft edge when choosing a standard browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    Two microsoft edge when choosing a standard browser: I have some promblem with two Microsoft Edge browsers when I choose default browser. I tried to fix it but it did not lead to success. [ATTACH]...
  6. Multiple instances for Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multiple instances for Microsoft Edge: When I open my Edge with just 1 tab, it create 4 instances or 10 instances at the Task Manager. This also happens with Messenger and Opera Browser. I am using Windows 10 Home with windows update. [ATTACH]...
  7. Two Instances Of OneDrive At Start-up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two Instances Of OneDrive At Start-up: Hi, I've checked the forums and couldn't find anything specific to what I'm seeing. Every time I log in to my Windows 10 laptop, I get two instances of OneDrive open. One signs in successfully and immediately starts syncing. The other instance fails and comes up with an...
  8. Microsoft Edge replaced my default Browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Edge replaced my default Browser: The last update PUSHED Edge onto a number of our employee's taskbars. And, that is not the worst part. In some cases, even though other browsers were being used by an individual, when I tried to revert the workstation's default browser under default apps, the original...
  9. Microsoft Edge Browser

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Edge Browser: Why are you guys MICROSOFT forcing people to keep the microsoft edge browser and claiming that it is an absolutely necessary app to keep? Furthermore, why do you guys keep saying that without it, windows will not operate/ function properly?? Windows did not always have the...
  10. Can only open 1 instance of Edge browser.

in Browsers and Email
    Can only open 1 instance of Edge browser.: When I’m on a website with MS Edge browser doing some financial business, why can’t I open another instance of Edge for convenience on another website? Is there a workaround without having to open an instance of IE 11? 113399