Windows 10: Two issues suddenly appearing in Windows 10 possibly from external HDDs being disconnected.

Discus and support Two issues suddenly appearing in Windows 10 possibly from external HDDs being disconnected. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I disconnected all devices from my desktop when getting a new desk. My external HDDs were not plugged in to the exact same USB ports as they had been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rich2k57, Jun 25, 2019.

1. rich2k57 Win User

Two issues suddenly appearing in Windows 10 possibly from external HDDs being disconnected.

I disconnected all devices from my desktop when getting a new desk. My external HDDs were not plugged in to the exact same USB ports as they had been previously plugged into but I never had problems with them being in different ports previously. This time however I got a quick access error when I moved a folder from my normal HD to an external drive and the quick access path was still looking in the external.

The first problem I noticed is that Windows explorer did not refresh when renaming, deleting, or creating a file/folder. Secondly, the recycle bin no longer opens. Another issue I noticed that has an odd but not exactly good solution is my OS does not boot with explorer.exe on nor will it turn on when I try to run it manually. The explorer only turns on when I unplug one of the my HDDs. Every HDD is able to be accessed just fine and I am able to clean out my recycle bin via the command prompt but this obviously isn't a solution since I can't open it if I wanted to recover a file deleted in error.

Another minor issue that I feel has been more prevalent is when in My Computer the explorer will be "working on it..." indefinitely but is just fine a minute later. I had this problem occasionally though before and its never really bothered me too much to look into since everything is fine in a few seconds or minute.

I want to try to find a way to solve this without reinstalling windows as I would like to keep all of my data and settings.

I have tried the following fixes for each issue respectively with no success.

Recycle bin not opening:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/99e8fd5b-7d0d-4815-b5f4-41aea6e44f73

Explorer not refreshing:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/desktop-does-not-refresh-automatically-windows

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...h/32e5292b-333d-4b7c-a099-549831aa9339?page=8

I also cleared quick access paths and caches.

:)

rich2k57, Jun 25, 2019
  2. dermy Win User

External HDDs

Hi i had a seagate freeagent (external) which stopped working so i bought another enclosure and the hdd kept disconnecting/reconnecting in windows 8.1, so i boht another enclosure and also the same thing. Iv tried a different hdd and all hdds work perfectly when plugged directly into sata ports on the board, are there any other steps i can try or do you think iv just been unlucky with enclosures?

dermy, Jun 25, 2019
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jun 25, 2019
  4. Johankaan Win User

Two issues suddenly appearing in Windows 10 possibly from external HDDs being disconnected.

unlock hdd

Johankaan, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Two issues suddenly appearing in Windows 10 possibly from external HDDs being disconnected. - Similar Threads - issues suddenly appearing

2. Windows 10 BSOD when writing to external USB HDDs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 BSOD when writing to external USB HDDs: Since the most recent Windows 10 update every time I try to write to either of my 1TB external USB HDDs I get a BSOD. Any ideas what's going on?...
  3. Increasing performance of External HDDs

Increasing performance of External HDDs: I have a lot of external HDD. mostly for backups, data transfer. Noticed after getting a new Easystore drive, it had issues reconginizing on windows 10, with the 4 port hub USB2. Until I plugged it into a front PC port, USB3. Then I received a refurbished Non-powered WD...
  4. Is it possible to make a folder from an external drive appear in my regular "documents"...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to make a folder from an external drive appear in my regular "documents"...: I have an internal hard drive with limited space in my laptop so I want it be a little selective with what I put on there. Can I make it so when I plug an external drive into the laptop, that file from my external appears in my documents folder as well as all of the other...
  5. Run Windows 10 from an external disk - is it possible?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Run Windows 10 from an external disk - is it possible?: Today I bought a desktop from a family member and I just realized that has a 2TB HDD. My intention would be to buy an external SSD, install Windows, connect it via USB and boot from it. The HDD disk would remain as a secondary. Is this possible? submitted by...
  6. OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs: I have a Windows 10 machine where the OS is installed on an external HDD. Does Microsoft have a tool available to do external to external backups for the OS?...
  7. External HDDs getting hot.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External HDDs getting hot.: Recently I re arranged my external HDDs. and for some reason they show up on Hard Disc Sentinal as running around 52c. I can explain what all the HDDs are for , but currently I have 7 external and 5 internal, 4 USB hubs. To narrow problem down I will mention the problem I...
  8. External HDDs unmounting itself !

External HDDs unmounting itself !: I have windows 10 home and a laptop DELL 7720 My problem : External HDDs unmount itself after new booting in a short time ! 10 minutes ok the funtion and then they are vanishing and you can't back them with an unplug /plug action...
  9. Two Phantom Discs Have Suddenly Appeared!

Two Phantom Discs Have Suddenly Appeared!: Phantom Discs Can anyone please tell me what these two phantom discs are? (Pic 1). Pic 2 might be helpful. They suddenly appeared today. [img] [img] My Setup: C: is a 256 GB SSD D is a 2 TB spinning HD in the case holding my personal files (Documents, Music...
  10. File History with 2 external HDDs

in Windows 10 Support
    File History with 2 external HDDs: I currently do File History with 1 external HDD as everyone else does. I have a spare external HDD that is just gathering dust. I wonder if I could do File History with 2 external HDDs? Will I run into trouble if I did? The idea is that I could do File History with the 2...