Windows 10: Two matching User Accounts

Discus and support Two matching User Accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Setting up Win 10 (upgrading from Vista) a year or two ago I found that I had created two matching accounts, one identified with my name , the other... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by michael8354, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Two matching User Accounts

Setting up Win 10 (upgrading from Vista) a year or two ago I found that I had created two matching accounts, one identified with my name , the other identified as This PC. Clicking on either leads to the same C:Users\mhalp_000\Desktop. Changing a filename or adding a file in one account makes the same change in the other and all files appear to be present in both accounts. A duplicate scan shows very many - I didn't go all the way to the end.

It appears that the two accounts are essentially identical. This may be taking up a significant amount of disk space, but I am uneasy about making a mass deletion of one or the other or deleting an account. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:)

michael8354, Jun 21, 2016

2. Two user accounts

Thanks. What info do you need?

JACKIETOOLS, Jun 21, 2016
  3. Two user accounts

Hello Jackie,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with user accounts on Windows 10, we will help you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to check the user profiles present in your system.

• Press Windows + R keys from the keyboard to open
      Run command.

• Type “..” in the search box to open the
      User profiles (Excluding quotes).

• Search for the administrator account and try to log in with that account and check if you are able to view the files.

I suggest you to login through Microsoft account and try deleting other user account.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 21, 2016
Thema:

Two matching User Accounts

1. Two matching User Accounts - Similar Threads - matching User Accounts

2. Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to match account name which ended up creating two...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to match account name which ended up creating two...: Tried to change "User" name in C:\Users\User to match with my account name. But it ended up creating two folders in C:\Users like "User" and "Rahul reddy" folder name that I tried changing name to splitting files between both folders. I tried to restore my device multiple...
  3. Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to match account name which ended up creating two...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to match account name which ended up creating two...: Tried to change "User" name in C:\Users\User to match with my account name. But it ended up creating two folders in C:\Users like "User" and "Rahul reddy" folder name that I tried changing name to splitting files between both folders. I tried to restore my device multiple...
  4. Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to match account name which ended up creating two...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Having two user accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having two user accounts: Is it possible to factory reset a computer while using other user account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/having-two-user-accounts/39a0c8ef-a975-4b2f-8dcb-4d81ea645fff
  6. Having two user accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having two user accounts: Is it possible to factory reset a computer while using other user account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/having-two-user-accounts/39a0c8ef-a975-4b2f-8dcb-4d81ea645fff
  7. Is it better to make two Microsoft accounts or one account and two users?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it better to make two Microsoft accounts or one account and two users?: Hi! I just got an laptop and I want to have two profiles for me and my brother. The problem is that the secondary profile associated with an separate Microsoft account gets broken and displays "we can't sign into your account". Since the desktop is new, I had nothing on it...
  8. Two User Accounts at Startup?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Two User Accounts at Startup?: Windows 10 Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 Recently after Power On I'm getting prompted for my login password/pin. I've had that option disabled for as long as I can remember. I'm also noticing that at the point where I get the prompt, Windows is showing me two user...
  9. Merging two user accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Merging two user accounts: I recently got a new computer, today I noticed that I have two user accounts, one by my email and one by my first name. The files shown on my desktop appear to be identical. How can I merge these accounts? I am afraid to delete one because I'm not sure if everything is...
  10. Two user accounts with one email?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Two user accounts with one email?: I have 2 accounts, one admin...and one standard (as recommended by Microsoft) Can I link them both to the same Hotmail (outlook) email? (Standard account used daily...admin account rarely used and there for security I currently have each linked to a different email account...