Windows 10: Two minutes of black screen before login

Discus and support Two minutes of black screen before login in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. When I boot into Windows 10, just before the login, my screen turns black for like two minutes. There doesn't seem to be any drive activity (I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sauronnikko, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Two minutes of black screen before login

Hi. When I boot into Windows 10, just before the login, my screen turns black for like two minutes. There doesn't seem to be any drive activity (I've got Windows installed on a SSD). Cursor appears like fifteen seconds before the login screen.

This started happening like a month ago. I don't remember having done anything to my computer. I do frequently upgrade my NVIDIA graphic card drivers (now on 364.51), and I keep Windows Update on (so I guess Windows has been updating itself autmatocally), but other than that, I can't see why this has started to happen.

FYI, I disabled fast startup and got no change.

What should I try to fix this issue?

Thanks

:)

sauronnikko, Mar 12, 2016

2. 2 minutes of Black Screen before Login Screen & Slow Booting.

Finally my problem was solved by Disabling my AMD Radeon HD 7400M series driver from Device
    Manager.

Two minutes of black screen before login [​IMG]

Thank You.

Saurav.Kumar, Mar 12, 2016
  3. 2 minutes of Black Screen before Login Screen & Slow Booting.

Hi Saurav,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I see that you are facing black screen issues with the system. This might be due to the corruption of display driver in the system.

I would suggest you to refer the link on Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10 by
    Sharath Srinivasa replied on August 7, 2015

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

I would also suggest you to refer the article in the link below on
    Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

I also see that your system has become slow hence I would suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps,

Method 1: System Maintenance troubleshooter

Please follow the steps to run System Maintenance troubleshooter on the computer:

• Type “Control Panel” on the search box.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all option on the left side of the Windows.
    • Click on System Maintenance option.
    • Click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot the issue.
    Method 2: Disk Clean Up

Cleaning out your PC on a regular basis frees up drive space and helps it run better. One of the easiest ways to clean up files you no longer need is by using Disk Cleanup. Try performing it on the system and check if it helps to
    resolve the issue.

Refer the below link to perform a Disk Clean Up on Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

I would also suggest you to perform a clean boot to check if third party applications are causing the system slow.

Method 3: Clean boot

Place your computer in clean boot state and check if it helps.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Reply us if you have any further queries we will be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Mar 12, 2016
  4. Two minutes of black screen before login

I also tried booting on Safe Mode, but the only option available in Advanced Startup Options (I got to the screen by doing Shift + clicking on "Restart") was Shutdown! Also tried pressing F8 during boot but nothing happened.

I remember Safe Mode showing up in the Advanced Startup Options screen. I find it very weird it's not there anymore

sauronnikko, Mar 12, 2016
  5. Archie123 Win User
    so system posts properly? bios is done and its literally hanging in windows? have you tried disabling logo show in your bios? so instead of showing mobo logo or manufacturer logo it gives you the white text of everything its checking , it may help finding out what its hanging on ie the last text as it hangs. Or possible it could be some software you have running on startup so try a clean boot see if that helps.

How to Clean Boot Windows 10 and Windows 8

Archie123, Mar 12, 2016
  6. I had a similar problem and resolved it by resetting the CMOS on the motherboard.

Charlie210, Mar 12, 2016
  7. I would remove the nvidia drivers, use stock svga drivers, and see what happens at next boot

SchrodingersCat, Mar 13, 2016
  8. Two minutes of black screen before login

Hello to everyone.

Archie123: System posts properly. Black screen occurs after Windows logo appears (the logo itself stays there like for 5 seconds)
    Charlie210: I'm trying to avoid touching or modifying my motherboard until there are no alternatives (seem like eventually I'll have to do it)
    SchrodingersCat: I did that. Nothing changed.

Update on what I've been doing:

1. I decided to reinstall Windows 10 (reset option). Had to download the Media Tool from Microsoft to get the option of resetting. However, both reseting options (keeping the files vs not keeping the files) gave me errors. One said "the drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again". The other option said something similar.

2. I decided to clean install Windows 10. However, when I get to the "Getting your files ready for installation" part, it gets stuck in different %. I've tried this 4 times. Each time it gets stuck in a different % (first time was 22%, second time 49% and so on). I could see that the drive led didn't flash at all, and just remained red, which doesn't happen before getting stuck.

3. At this time, I'm considering using Rufus to create a bootable USB from an ISO, which I did not try before (I created the bootable USB from the Microsoft's media tool directly)

sauronnikko, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Two minutes of black screen before login

1. Two minutes of black screen before login - Similar Threads - minutes black screen

2. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen before login: My pc screen is black before login in ...i have tried all posible ways to fix the black screen ....and i cant boot it in safe mode ...pls help me i have exam pls pls...
  3. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen before login: My pc screen is black before login in ...i have tried all posible ways to fix the black screen ....and i cant boot it in safe mode ...pls help me i have exam pls pls...
  4. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen before login: I was recently doing a system restore after my computer started acting wonky, however, the restore got hung up, so after about 10 hours or so, I gave up and did a hard shutdown. Now when I’m booting up my laptop, i get the Acer splash screen, however, after that I just get a...
  6. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen before login: Hi, I have a desktop PC, about 6 years old, running Windows 10. In the last few days, it was coming up with a black screen showing the curser only, randomly, after being used for a short while nothing specifc seemed to trigger it, I was just browsing the Internet or...
  7. Black screen before login

Black screen before login: Build 1903 During computet action: restore point restorin pc registry files message Hard shoutdown preformed! Now computer has black screen after boot! No sign in loaded Harddrivr LED blinking Is there a way to fix!...
  8. Black screen before login screen

Black screen before login screen: Hello everyone. I have recently experienced a problem with Windows 10. Whenever I select Windows 10 (I have dual-boot configuration, the other OS is Ubuntu), it normally boots and I hear the startup sound. I also see the mouse indicator and I can sometimes control it, yet...
  9. Black Screen Before Login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Black Screen Before Login: After the update of october 2018 update 1809 my laptop is having a problem of black screen before the sign in page. It takes around 8 to 10 seconds to show the lock screen. I don't know what's the problem. I feel so annoying as this is a brand new laptop with 8gb ram and i5...
  10. Black screen before login screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen before login screen: The black screen occurs before login screen. It happens randomly. I have to move the mouse (haven't tried pressing keyboard) and it will show the login screen and windows will continue normally. On my device driver it shows only 1 display adapter that is NVIDIA GTX 970. My...